Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different sands .... building / Sea / Gardening - can I use Sea sand in Garden?

Options
  • 13-05-2009 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭

Ive heard carrots like a sandy soil.

Can I add sea sand to my soil or is the salt content too high?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

one would assume so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

I dont know where you can get sea sand as it is illegal to remove sand, stones etc (beach material) from beaches.

You can get horticultural sand from any garden centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

worded wrote: »

Build sand has a high salt content , a little amount no harm but otherwise better to hort sand or to improve drainage and workability better solution would be to mix paving grit with plenty of compost. Produces a fabulous texture and terrific free draining growing medium. Grit has better slug repellent qualities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Quartet

worded wrote: »

No sea sand is not suitable for gardening purposes - it has a very high salt content and will adversely effect plants

Use horticultural grade sand (try garden centres or if you know of any commercial plant nurseries near by...)

Do be aware of getting info on gardening from non professionals - you can end up making some very costly mistakes :eek:

Buy a good source book eg one of the RHS gardening encyclopedias - it will have info on just about everything....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We are mixing beach sand with compost/soil with no bad effects.

I think the law means large lorry loads not just the odd bucket we take. But i thought that that was the UK not here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

fyi heres an extract from the Irish Statute Book

A]
    (5) Every person who shall remove any beach material from any foreshore or seashore in contravention of a prohibitory order shall be guilty of an offence under this section and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof in the case of a first offence, to a fine not exceeding ten pounds, and, in the case of a second or any subsequent offence, to a fine of ten pounds and, in every case to forfeiture of the beach material so removed.

heres the link

http://193.178.1.79/1933/en/act/pub/0012/sec0006.html#zza12y1933s6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The law actually means you can't take sand from a beach no matter how much. 1 bucket is the same as 1 lorry load. Think if everyone within walking distance of Dollymount took one bucket - that's a serious degradation of the seafront. The law is an ass in this case tho - 10 pounds or the euro equivalent is ridiculous - fines like that should be index linked - not statutory.

Advertisement