Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

colleague being bullied

Options
  • 13-05-2009 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I'm a manager in a small financial services company - not long there - I've a lot more experience than the other managers but for various reasons the currnet job suits me and I don't want to get involved in promotion races or internal politics in any way.

One of the managers although v good at his job has a horrible manner. he is aggressive and bullying with everyone - he is a long time there and the company is dependant on him - so we all (including the MD) pander to him to an extent - as I say I'm looking for a quiet life at the moment so I can handle that. But his behaviour towards one of the other managers is horrific - at group meetings he insults, belittles, humiliates this other guy. And nothing is done by the MD.

I do not want to get involved - neither of these people report to me or me to them but I really feel for the guy being bullied. I can certainly raise the issue with the MD on a confidential basis e.g. potential exposure of the company to a bullying claim etc. But I wonder am I overreacting? Should I keep out of it? I'm the new kid on the block so maybe they are inured. I should say that I've worked in many companies and differing situations over the years but this is way off the scale in terms of anything I've seen in a work context.

Any thoughts appreciated. I don't want to get too specific for confidentiality reasons.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

AFAIK it's illegal under European law to bully, or allow bullying in the workplace. the guy being bullied can sue over it. There should be something in the workers' contracts about bullying being a sackable offence.

Report the bully to a higher authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

I am not a solisitor, but I do know alot about employment law, as I am starting legal proceedings against my own employer.
    Your collegue who is been bullied should make a complaint in writing to the immediate manager above him/her. He/She should bring a copy of dates and incidents of any records of bullying/intimidation. Under the Health, Safety and Welfare Act of 2005, the employer must deal with a complaint like this.
    Should the employer not do anything about this, and ignore it, then your collegue can bring a case against your employer for bullying and harassement, and your employer would also be in breach of Disciplinary and Grievance Procedure SI 146/2000.
    Your collegue has absolutely nothing to be afraid of, and the law is on his/her side. His/her job is and will be absolutely secure whether the problem is sorted out, or if it is not sorted out and referred onto the appropriate court, his/her job will still be safe.
    If I were you I would encourage your friend to make a record and date everything of the intimidation and bullying, and to make a complaint. Employment law is very detailed, but the law is on your collegues side. No one has to put up with that in the workplace, I would not stand for it, and neither should your collegue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

nicegirl wrote: »
    I am not a solicitor, but I do know a lot about employment law, as I am starting legal proceedings against my own employer.

Good for you!! And best of luck with it, I reported a bully in writing once and the bitch lovely woman who was doing the bullying was given the complaint to deal with so she sacked me (I'd caught her defrauding the place and she was doing everything in her power to get me out) I went to two solicitors about it but neither of them would do anything despite telling me I had a great case :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

I would like to be clear about this so I might be able to offer you advice.

So, you made a complaint in writing about the madam who was intimidating you, and you got sacked over it? You also mentioned that she was doing everything she could to get you to leave, I take it that was the bully?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I'd just like to say, the first step in any of these issues is NOT to lodge a formal complaint. Speak to the victim, does he feel like he's being bullied. If so, tell him to speak to the manager himself. You don't have to fly straight into formal complaints and litigation with every employee issue that might arise - even if it is justified it shows the individual in a very poor light. Most people in this country (for better or worse) tend to have a "get over it and carry on" attitude to issues like this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement