Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going for an A1 in Biology..

Options
  • 13-05-2009 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Or a B1/A2 at least. =/

Plan to focus on Unit 1 and Unit 2 in-depth. I am also doing the following in great detail:
    1. Photosynthesis
    2. Respiration
    3. Genetics
    4. Ecology and all that stuff
    5. Plant Reproduction
    6. Human Reproduction
    7. Human Nutrition?
    I also plan to do a lot of the experiments. What else should I be looking into from Unit 3?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I hate those experiment questions.

I'm the kind of person who would just study EVERYTHING and not take chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Hoping for the A1 too. In fact, I better get the A1 because it's the only subject I've bothered to put any work into :(

Anyway, I'm going with pretty much what's on your list. Viruses usually come up as a nice little Q14/15 part. My teacher reckons something on one of the kingdoms will come up too. And perhaps something on genetic engineering. (These are all little bits of predictions he's sort of muttered to himself over the last few days... I'm not sure he knows I can hear him and/or whether these are just his thoughts as they happen, or they're actual predictions...).

I'm hoping to avoid as much plant stuff as possible, and most of those stupid little systems (all of them, endocrine, nervous, lymphatic, human defence.. blah.) Also don't like excretion. So most of Unit 3 really. Most of it isn't that hard, really, but I just don't like it.

I also don't like the heart experiment but either he enjoys torturing me with endless questions on it, or he reckons it'll come up. I'm sort of half banking on the photosynthsis exp with the moving the light around. I also quite like the isolating DNA one (I don't know how likely it is to come up, I just like it...). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

those stupid little systems (all of them, endocrine, nervous, lymphatic, human defence.. blah.)
    My favourite parts of the course!!
    I'd like a B2, that'd be just peachy.

Im gona focus the fook on
    1. Ecology
    2. Genetic Crosses/Defintions/Chromosome Diagrams
    3. Photosynthesis
    4. Respiration
    5. Excretion
    6. Food
    7. Reproduction
    Same as what the others are saying really. Gona have a good knowledge of Osmosis and Mitosis and all those other fiddly little processes!

Jammyc wrote: »
    Same as what the others are saying really. Gona have a good knowledge of Osmosis and Mitosis and all those other fiddly little processes!

Forgot about mitosis. I really, really hate mitosis.
    I like osmosis though. That would be a grand experiment if it came up!

Forgot about mitosis. I really, really hate mitosis.
    I like osmosis though. That would be a grand experiment if it came up!
    Twould indeed, except I keep writing Viking tubing as opposed to visking.

The Vikings moved from an area of high concentration of Vikings to an area of low concentration of Vikings-My handy way of remembering it!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Gloom wrote: »

Plan to focus on Unit 1 and Unit 2 in-depth. I am also doing the following in great detail:

I would be studying the circulatory system in a big way. Blood and lymph circuits, structure of the heart, the heart cycle, functions of the lymphatic system, yada yada yada.

AND EVOLUTION

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I would be studying the circulatory system in a big way. Blood and lymph circuits, structure of the heart, the heart cycle, functions of the lymphatic system, yada yada yada.

AND EVOLUTION

Not to mention system of azygous veins, lymph drainage of right adrenal gland and obviously structures passing through the porta hepatis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

sd123 wrote: »
    Not to mention system of azygous veins, lymph drainage of right adrenal gland and obviously structures passing through the porta hepatis

Emmmmm, Portal Vein, Hepatic Artery and Common Bile Duct from posterior to anterior....:confused:

Edit: God I better not choke in front of mahony. That guy can smell the fear off ya. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

An A1 in biology is nothing, its the easiest subject and anybody who gets it is nothing special and they are a worthless prick. Get an A1 in honours Irish or your foreign language why dont ya?

And no, not maths, maths is fun to fcuk about with

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

An A1 in biology is nothing, its the easiest subject and anybody who gets it is nothing special and they are a worthless prick. Get an A1 in honours Irish or your foreign language why dont ya?

And no, not maths, maths is fun to fcuk about with
    Someone sounds jealous. Cool down or take a break from this forum, kthx. A1s in any subject are difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Emmmmm, Portal Vein, Hepatic Artery and Common Bile Duct from posterior to anterior....:confused:

Edit: God I better not choke in front of mahony. That guy can smell the fear off ya. :o

He knows more about me than I do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Someone sounds jealous. Cool down or take a break from this forum, kthx. A1s in any subject are difficult.

Sorry I was hammered when I wrote that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Man I hate bio. Liked it until my (class) teacher left and then I went **** at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

experiments are the key, just learn all of them inside out (e.g know why everything is used, not just what is used)

also, male reproduction is very likely, and photosynthesis and respiration are there nearly always in soem shape or form.

and bacteria or fungi always get a mention

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Id be over the moon with a B of any sort to be honest.

Got a little tiny revisions leaflet in Easons there the other day for 6 quid, EVERYTHING packed into a deceivingly small amount of pages, though fairly worthwhile i think, saves me sifting through crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

its not the biology notes unfolded is it?

Yeh it may possibly be, though it doesn't technically unfold like a few others i spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I'm also going for an A1. I've been focusing mostly on Unit 1 and 2 at the moment since they make up the majority of the paper. Ecology is incredibly easy and it's guaranteed to come up. I know most of Unit 2 quite well so I'm grand for that. Unit 3 is a bit annoying since there's definitely a lot in it. I'm planning on cramming a bit to get most of that information in since I find it goes very easily. Experiments will also be a pain. I got an A2 in the mocks and was really annoyed. I got my exam back and I found I lost marks because I wasn't specific enough. I hate how the biology exam is done. Why can't they just give the exact marks for each question so you know exactly how much information you should give?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭HotP0pp3r

Id say the senses, as it hasnt come up in the last four years :)

Fringe wrote: »
    I hate how the biology exam is done. Why can't they just give the exact marks for each question so you know exactly how much information you should give?
    Yeah that pisses me off!

Like (b) Parts (i)(ii) & (iii) are 24 marks, but goddamn we need to know

is (i) more important than (ii) or whatever!! Jeeez!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Dr Gradus wrote: »
    Id be over the moon with a B of any sort to be honest.

Got a little tiny revisions leaflet in Easons there the other day for 6 quid, EVERYTHING packed into a deceivingly small amount of pages, though fairly worthwhile i think, saves me sifting through crap.

That book is the best!! Its celtic press, i couldnt find it in easons but our teacher ordered them in for us! its so handy, that massive book is so off-putting, but theres a page for each chapter, you wouldn't believe how small it is! :D:D

That book is the best!! Its celtic press, i couldnt find it in easons but our teacher ordered them in for us! its so handy, that massive book is so off-putting, but theres a page for each chapter, you wouldn't believe how small it is! :D:D

I have it too! They had it in Easons on O'Connell St on Sunday, but my teacher ordered them in ages ago. Have the one they do for maths aswell with all the formulae. Think they do a physics one too...

I like the way they do the experiments in like about 4 lines :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I have it too! They had it in Easons on O'Connell St on Sunday, but my teacher ordered them in ages ago. Have the one they do for maths aswell with all the formulae. Think they do a physics one too...

I like the way they do the experiments in like about 4 lines :P

Ahh, if only there was one for chemistry. And english. And maybe Irish and French :rolleyes: I <3 teeny tiny books :)

Yeh i'm just gonna ignore the other book and try remember as much as i can outta the little teeny tiny thing. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Ahh, if only there was one for chemistry. And english. :)

Rapid Revision is the book you'd want for chem. Tis class.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

my biology teacher wrote the lil book, i absolutely love it , no rooting through notes for experiments, no need to be making out little cards for revision plus it has all the diagrams, its a life saver. does anyone know if the do any other subjects in those lil books in easons???

There wasn't a great selection in easons when i was there, physics and maths i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Yeah, I find Rapid Revision for Chemistry quite good, it is written by the same guy who does Chemistry Live! so they work well in tandem with one another.

leesmom wrote: »
    my biology teacher wrote the lil book, i absolutely love it , no rooting through notes for experiments, no need to be making out little cards for revision plus it has all the diagrams, its a life saver. does anyone know if the do any other subjects in those lil books in easons???

It seems to be just maths, physics and biology, from what I have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭piggies

EVOLUTION is almost definitely going to come up its Darwins anniversary or something like that haha anyway my teacher never shut up tellin us about it and he was all over the news for ages so learn the theory of natural selection! :D

Advertisement