Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just thought I woulde share my project with ya

Options
  • 13-05-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just thought I would show you some photos of a boat I built a while ago.
    Thought it might be of interest to some people on here :)

http://one.xthost.info/boatbuilder/boat/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Well done, absolutely fantastic work.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I wouldn't even know where to start!
    A beauty!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

My hat is off to you boatbuilder:D

Beautiful little boat,I bet its good fun

Is it the first one you've built?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Yeah its good enough fun alright. I got the plans from here>> www.glen-l.com

Its the first boat I built, but I built a hovercraft about 12 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Boatbuilder- I salute you! I was absolutely dumbfounded by the beautiful boat you built; it really is something to be proud of, fair play to you! It's amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Very impressive alright, looks fantastic.

Was it several years work overall? Or full time for months?

Great looking finish..

Were the white strips in the top surface inlayed in or is it just the finish?

How did you curve the base?, and also how is the straight line in the curve of the base achieved?

My dad built a larger boat about 35 years ago, a 27 foot six berth boat but it wasn't as finely finished as yours...

Very impressive work.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Nice boat , looks like a mini ChrisCraft. Great job you did on her, what did you use for the stitch and glue part, cable ties or wire?

It took about a year of "spare time".

The deck is mahogany inlaid with maple strips. It was then given a coat of epoxy and then a few coats of "Schooner" varnish.

The boat isn't a stitch and glue on...it was built around a series of frames. The natural bending of the woodformed the curves..no steaming was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Ooops sorry, didn't look close enough. What did you use to fix the ply to the frames and chine log? Nice ply , is it Robbins? Sorry for all the questions but I love wooden boats.

I used bronze ring shank nails for some of it, but I got fed up with that and just used ordinary wood screws for the rest of it. It was all stuck down with epoxy mixed with microfibres so it doesn't need screws permanently. I removed all of the steel screws when the epoxy had cured.

The ply is from Waller & Wickham in Dublin, its 6mm stuff....really nice to work with, but expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭insebayguy

Hi Boatbuilder, (sorry to drag up an old post folks) but I can't say enough how impressed I am with the job you did on that Squirt. I bought the Glen L TNT plans about 3 years ago. Haven't started them yet but think I will soon after coming across your boat and another excellent Glen L boat (Malahini) built by Fergal Butler, he's on Boards also and is currently building the Glen L Crackerbox.
    Do you still have the boat..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Looks great and a nice finish. I used to build ( well still do a bit) model boats from steam tugs to static models for a captain . Maybe some day I may go down the road of the real thing like that...

Nice job.

Are there plans available for building such a boat?

Cheers

Rich

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

richiek67 wrote: »
    Are there plans available for building such a boat?

Cheers

Rich

Hi richiek67 you can see my builds bellow, the plans I use are from http://www.glen-l.com/boat-plans-catalog-300-boats-you-can-build/ and they cover every type of boat you can think of plus most are built by people with very little woodworking skills like me :D

Thanks Fergal. Thats got me thinking. Need a bigger shed..!!!.lol
    I take it its marine ply? What type of wood are the stringers made from?

Sorry for all the questions too. I remember once using a type of marine glue which consisted of one part a type of resin ( i think) but the other was acid, used to set the reaction in motion. I never came across it since. I think he used to get it in a place on the quays in Dublin JP marine ( if I remember, but that was some 25 years ago!..)

Cheers

Rich;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

No problem ask away I think we are ok talking about timber here but as it turns into more boat talk we can move to the post on my build http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055963665 or start your own in sailing & boating :D
    My first boat is all marine ply with iroko or mahogany for the stringers, the second one is built the same way but is coated in mahogany planks every thing is held together and coated in epoxy resin.
    My boats are built under a lean-to not the best in the winter but it works for me:D
    Had you got a boat in mind that your thinking of building.

Hi Fergal, I will follow on after this on the other site that you mentioned.
    Have to say, If I had more space I wouldn't hesitate in starting on one. I build furniture myself.
    I'd be more than able, no problem there. Space is the only thing. I'd like to build one that would take an outboard! My goal would be summer use only too and with a nice wood on the outer!!
    I wonder if someone had the space would they be interested in a joint venture. I'd certainly love to see one in progress....

Anyway, Talk later..;)

richiek67 wrote: »
    Hi Fergal, I will follow on after this on the other site that you mentioned.
    Have to say, If I had more space I wouldn't hesitate in starting on one. I build furniture myself.
    I'd be more than able, no problem there. Space is the only thing. I'd like to build one that would take an outboard! My goal would be summer use only too and with a nice wood on the outer!!
    I wonder if someone had the space would they be interested in a joint venture. I'd certainly love to see one in progress....

Anyway, Talk later..;)

If your ever out in Co.Dublin feel free to drop by and have a look, although I'm not sure I'd want a furniture maker looking at my work I know how much attention to detail means to you guys :D

LOL, well if its any consolation, it looks great. Anyway, I always feel, the bigger the piece the more you can get away with!!
    Thanks for the offer of having a look. If I ever get going on it I may hold you to it...:)

Cheers

Rich

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Absolutely Fantastic.

Congratts on a wonderfull outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Sorry to drag up an oldish thread but just wanted to say nice job on your builds. I suppose most people would never understand how much work you put into these. I bought the plans for a Malahini about a year ago and have looked at all your pictures over and over for last year or 2. I especially like Fergals "shed" :D.

The wife and I went ahead with the "sensible" thing of buying a house a few months ago instead, but I'm marking out my new shed at the minute and I have to check into the glen-L forums to know how big the shed will be ;)

Don't tell the wife! :P

nacimroc wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an oldish thread but just wanted to say nice job on your builds. I suppose most people would never understand how much work you put into these. I bought the plans for a Malahini about a year ago and have looked at all your pictures over and over for last year or 2. I especially like Fergals "shed" :D.

The wife and I went ahead with the "sensible" thing of buying a house a few months ago instead, but I'm marking out my new shed at the minute and I have to check into the glen-L forums to know how big the shed will be ;)

Don't tell the wife! :P

Welcome aboard, it would be great to have another Malahini to play with:D

I told the wife I was building a shelter for a clothes line ;) I just haven't got around to putting it up yet :D
    When ever your ready to go your welcome to come and have a look at my builds and have a root around my shed :D in boat building there are no straight lines thats why my shelf looks like that :pac:

2011-08-28171915.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Spirit levels are for amateurs? lol :D Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it. I am subconsciously buying all the clamps everytime they come into Lidl so thats the first sign I've got the bug I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

The clamps from lidl ate a waste of money. I have bought them before and threw them away as you can't tighten them up properly like you can with good quality quick release ones

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

Lovely boat, amazing craftsmanship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Noel Kinsella

Great boat well done.

Advertisement