Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engine swap

• 13-05-2009 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I am looking at corolla xli hatchbacks as i think that they look brilliant modified and there not as common as civics and glanzas etc.

The problem i have is that the 1.3 engine is a bit small and doesnt give much scope for getting extra power so ive been thinking of doing an engine swap and am just looking for advice and suggestions as to how difficult this will be and what engines i should be looking at.

And please no one mention 20 valves because i havnt a hope of insuring one for a while yet:mad:

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Carina ii

toyota 4a-ge 16 valve ! ! its only around 115 bhp :pac:

if u wanted power it would be 4a-ge 20 valve
    or even better again a 4a-gze with 180bhp hard to find tho ! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Insurance will probably be a problem with whatever you go with.

You'll have to get the car inspected by an engineer after the swap and then try and get a quote.

Have a look at this

From a 1.3 -> 2.0. 29 yo, 6 years NCB, €1800

Judging by your post you're not as old/have as many years NCB so even a small jump in power will (probably) be costly.

Then you'll have to actually do the swap, no idea how hard that will be or how much it'll cost...

Swapping from from a ~100bhp 4efe to a ~120bhp 4age hardly seems worth it?

I reckon if you want to do it go big, possibly 4agze then turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JcDubz4life

What car would i get the 4agze engine out of?

And except for things like mounts, wiring looms ecu etc what else needs upgrading espeicially running gear wise?

MR2 Mk1 SC/AE92/AE101.

Change the pulley on any of them and you shouldn't be far off 180BHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

cynos/glanza lump...

either of the two would do fine.

• Advertisement

S.I.R wrote:
    cynos/glanza lump...

The 1.5 cynos engine is only 100bhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I assume the intent is to do an engine swap and not notify your insurance.
    Insurance on a 1.3 with an 1.6 engine swap would be more expensive than insurance on a 1.6 in the first place. bear in mind that if you crash and the car is different from that declared, you're in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Cost wise it doesn't make sense without swapping something with power and big potential as its an expensive thing to do properly.

If your concerned about insurance i cant see how you would justify this as any swap is going to get you a silly quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

just out of interest OP... Whats the... " Fastest " car you can insure ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Stop putting me off....

Currently looking for a 20v Turbo for my Mk2 Golf :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Onkle wrote: »
    Stop putting me off....

Currently looking for a 20v Turbo for my Mk2 Golf :D

As long as your willing to spend the money and not worried about a hike in insurance premiums your fine.

This makes no sense for someone who will only be able to insure a 1.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

As long as your willing to spend the money and not worried about a hike in insurance premiums your fine.
    Ah I'm a bit long in the tooth to be worried about insurance and going on from others experience I should be budgeting between 3.5k and 5.5k depending on what engine mods I'll be making

Although if you can't get insurance on a standard 1.6, an engine swap wouldn't be something I'd advise

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JcDubz4life

Thanks for all the help and advice, really appreciate it.

But it looks like im gonna have to wait a while:(
    Christ i HATE insurance companies in this country:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ajmcom

I have a toyota corolla 1.6 GTI with a redtop 4AGE engine in it. 140bhp on those as standard, it only has 74k miles!!!
    The car is english reg so to expensive to register but I would sell it for very cheap to someone who needs the engine. txt me if your interested 0863733811

Advertisement