Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Pike Behaviour

Options
  • 13-05-2009 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Pike fishing on the Suck last weekend, and noticed a pike about 5 yards away from me in the shallows with it's tail in the air and nose down. Obviously i lobbed me deadbait in beside it and wobbled it past it. No take. tried away as the fish moved closer to me - still no take. Then i noticed (as it was only 2-3 yard away) that there was actually 2 pike, and they looking more like they were grazing in the shallows!!!
    Eventually they both saw me and made a dart for it.

We were trying to figure out what they were at.
    1 - Could they have been spawning - but way too late in the year???
    2 - Feeding on other spawn - not sure pike do that???
    3 - Feeding on something else ???
    4 - Any other theories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

spawning

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Pike sometimes spawn late, what were the sizes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

they were smallish Pike - 5-6lbs - i would be suprised to hear that they were of age to spawn - but it may provide a clue as to why the fishing was so crap too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

as far as i know, a jack of 2 pound can spawn. Ive taken a fish of that size 2 weeks ago which has sperm coming out.. A more experienced angler told me this was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

So is it a common myth that Pike spawn in Feb\March?
    What does it depend on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

most of the time the weather is a big factor.pike can start spawning then the weather change,ie cold and wet.once it warms up again they move into shallows again.

Advertisement