Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mooring advice needed!

• 13-05-2009 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I've learned to sail over the last 12 months and i'm getting to the stage were i'm looking to buy my own boat. How do i get a mooring in dublin do you have to join a club i looked at malahide marina and clontarf boat club but i dont really want to join a club and malahide marina looks pretty expensive. I can't find out who controls the moorings is there a moorings association can you get a mooring without joining a club.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

Try the local Harbor Commissioners Harbor Boards or if there is no statutory body then its the Local Authority. They are the ones who grant you permission to put down a mooring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Reality is you need to either pay the marina fees or join a club that has swing moorings. Around Dublin I doubt you'd be given permission to sink a mooring. Most small harbours are less strict once you stay out of fairways and traffic zones.
    If you think you've found somewhere that you can sink a mooring without being 'found out' consider why no-one else has a mooring there! Probably not safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 davidkeogh

Thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

There are people who have sunk moorings just outside the mouth of Howth harbour. Dunno if they needed to get harbourmaster's permission or not. It wouldn't be for me, personally, as howth sound can get quite rough at times but it's an option you could considfer.

Advertisement