Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programme about Balbriggan RTE

Options
  • 13-05-2009 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Just to let anyone know there's a programme on RTE One this Friday at 7.30 called "Meet The Neighbours" and its about Balbriggan and how it has changed from a fishing village into one of the most ethnically diverse towns in the country.

Suzie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

suzieb wrote: »
    Just to let anyone know there's a programme on RTE One this Friday at 7.30 called "Meet The Neighbours" and its about Balbriggan and how it has changed from a fishing village into one of the most ethnically diverse towns in the country.

Suzie
    This will be interesting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

suzieb wrote: »

Suzie
    And how did this happen? A truckload of investors rented out their houses to the social welfare and the rest if history :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Sizzler wrote: »
    And how did this happen? A truckload of investors rented out their houses to the social welfare and the rest if history :rolleyes:

:eek:
    Not very nice at all Sizzler. I happen to know that at least one of the families featured last night own their own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

Anybody see it, I'm mad I missed most of it.
    Just caught the last 10 minutes or so.
    Seemed to be relatively positive, with the kid from Zimbabwae being a piano virtuoso and all............I hope this is the approach they're taking and not a TV3-sensationalist style of documentary......."When good immigrants go bad!!!"

I think at this stage of the game Balbriggan's diversity should be embraced and promoted rather than complained about and swept under the rug.

Eoineo wrote: »
    :eek:
    Not very nice at all Sizzler. I happen to know that at least one of the families featured last night own their own home.
    And I happen to know several tranches of houses that are paid for by the social welfare, so I guess it works both ways ;)

• Advertisement

I watched all of it; looking forward to next week. They reflected each of the families very well imho.

Sizzler - As am I aware of tranches of houses but talk about tarring everyone with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

You can watch it on rte.ie

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1047959

Eoineo wrote: »
    I watched all of it; looking forward to next week. They reflected each of the families very well imho.

Sizzler - As am I aware of tranches of houses but talk about tarring everyone with the same brush.
    I wasnt tarring the people on this show with that brush if thats what you think. I was making reference to the OP's post about how Balbriggan has come to be the town it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lobo09

Well, I watched the complete show and I was not impressed with the very much one-sided view of Balbriggan that was given. In a time when people are deeply concerned with negative property equity - I think this programme would definitely make someone think twice about buying or living in Balbriggan. The only facilities that were highlighted were a boxing club, a gospel choir of seven people... and a view of the train station!! What about the golf club, rugby club, cricket club, restaurants, cinema, shops... ? I'm all for communities being ethnically diverse.. but who exactly represented the people that have been living here, before the big population increase... or do they not have a story worth listening to anymore?

Lobo09 wrote: »
    Well, I watched the complete show and I was not impressed with the very much one-sided view of Balbriggan that was given. In a time when people are deeply concerned with negative property equity - I think this programme would definitely make someone think twice about buying or living in Balbriggan. The only facilities that were highlighted were a boxing club, a gospel choir of seven people... and a view of the train station!! What about the golf club, rugby club, cricket club, restaurants, cinema, shops... ? I'm all for communities being ethnically diverse.. but who exactly represented the people that have been living here, before the big population increase... or do they not have a story worth listening to anymore?

Jaysus chill. This wasn't a programme about house prices or how brilliant/cr@p Balbriggan is. It was just a quaint little show about how people from different ethnic backgrounds are settling in small town Ireland.
    Anyway, that young Whitehouse lad is a local and his story was worth listening to. The Whitehouses have a bit of a reputation in the 'briggan and he certainly did his best to prove otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I thought the point of the programme was how multi-cultured the town is? It wasn't meant to be an advertisement for the town so people could sell their houses.

Anyway, not much point showing restaurants because there isn't a decent one in the town.

dubmick wrote: »
    Anyway, not much point showing restaurants because there isn't a decent one in the town.

+1 Pubs aren't much better either. Do they still run the disco upstairs in the Milestone? That was an experience I won't soon forget :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

whitehouse? thats definetly an english name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

all i'll say is the full story wasn't revealed by one of the participants about their current personal circumstances

whitehouse? thats definetly an english name.

Not sure what you're getting at there. I have a surname that orignated in France but I'm as Irish as sh!te weather. The Whitehouses are a traveller family that settled in Balbriggan. Been there as long as I can remember....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

waraf wrote: »
    Not sure what you're getting at there. I have a surname that orignated in France but I'm as Irish as sh!te weather. The Whitehouses are a traveller family that settled in Balbriggan. Been there as long as I can remember....

Was it Balbriggan that had a pub taken over recently by travellers and the Garda riot squad were called in to take back control of the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Was it Balbriggan that had a pub taken over recently by travellers and the Garda riot squad were called in to take back control of the pub?

There is a separate thread about that incident. Do not drag this thread off topic. HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lobo09

Quaint little programmes can do a lot of damage to the reputation of an area!! You can't be serious that you live here, and don't care how Balbriggan is portrayed!! Did it not irk you that even when highlighting the great job being done in the boxing club... the programme had to show the manager sticking a dirty mop in a sink and then mopping out a decrepit shower area!! What was that about! Then we had little tots climbing in and out the front window of their home - unsupervised - unless you count their 10 year old brother... and then, drunken deb louts roaring and shouting like animals!! The message I got from all those little bits, is that, Balbriggan is a ethnically-diverse town... rough around the edges... and if you can't afford anything better... it'll have to do!! And apparently there is more to come in this series!!! I can't wait!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

does anyone know any of these people? interesting little show.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

i can relate to what the fisherman said, he has no problem with foreign nationals who are working and contributing to irish society and then there are people who have no intention of ever working and just taking what they can. But the sad thing is there are irish people who are the same, It annoys me that I work hard and pay my taxes and mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

not much wrong with the show,the problem with balbriggan is that builders and developers were allowed to built whatever they wanted,even i remeber when chapel gate was a brand new housing estate and im only 24,now what used to be fields is dozens of housing estates (sorry to sound so old) which are not needed,so they are rented out,possibly to the hse

down by the harbour is insane,there are apartments squeezed into every bit of space, it looks absolutely terrible,to me it dosent matter who lives in these apartments, its the developers that desroyed the look of the town,

it wont be same again no matter who lives there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Quaint little programmes can do a lot of damage to the reputation of an area!! You can't be serious that you live here, and don't care how Balbriggan is portrayed!! Did it not irk you that even when highlighting the great job being done in the boxing club... the programme had to show the manager sticking a dirty mop in a sink and then mopping out a decrepit shower area!! What was that about! Then we had little tots climbing in and out the front window of their home - unsupervised - unless you count their 10 year old brother... and then, drunken deb louts roaring and shouting like animals!! The message I got from all those little bits, is that, Balbriggan is a ethnically-diverse town... rough around the edges... and if you can't afford anything better... it'll have to do!! And apparently there is more to come in this series!!! I can't wait!!!

At the point when the Boxing trainer was mopping the shower he was actually talking about how far America had come in electing a black president - but I suppose you were too busy looking and criticising to listen to his valid point.

The child climbed out a downstairs window that was about a foot high - hardly dangerous behaviour.

As for "drunken debs louts" - I would have thought that was a universal end to Debs nights. And it was a tiny few seconds of the programme.

Of course people move to Balbriggan for the house prices - thats life - but they stay because they like the place - YOU seem to be the one who is anxious to move given your obsession with the effect of this programme on house prices.

PS: Given your first post I was amused that the second programme featured a player from the Cricket club who owned a shop and a local fisherman - how Balbriggan can you get!!! Mind you neither of their families have lived here since the 1800's so I suppose they arent real Balbriggan either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mimosacriminal

I am probably going to get slated for this , but can someone explain the objective of this programme. I took the first few episodes with a grain of salt and had a laugh . But the portrayal of Balbriggan at this stage is taking the piss. The programme suggests it looks at the "ethnical diversity" of Balbriggan - Fine but at least show a few Irish people (locals) and activities in our community. And before anyone says there was balance:Trrrrrrraaaaaacccccyyyyyy Caaaarrrrrrrmmmmmmiiiiiidddddooooooyyyyy from Finglas and the granny speaking nigerian is not a reflection of the apparent Irish Minority in the town.

I am probably going to get slated for this , but can someone explain the objective of this programme. I took the first few episodes with a grain of salt and had a laugh . But the portrayal of Balbriggan at this stage is taking the piss. The programme suggests it looks at the "ethnical diversity" of Balbriggan - Fine but at least show a few Irish people (locals) and activities in our community. And before anyone says there was balance:Trrrrrrraaaaaacccccyyyyyy Caaaarrrrrrrmmmmmmiiiiiidddddooooooyyyyy from Finglas and the granny speaking nigerian is not a reflection of the apparent Irish Minority in the town.

I do remember a request a while back from the makers of the programme. I *think* that it was looking for ethnic minorities all over Ireland and not just Balbriggan. They must have just got a large response from the town or something.

Saying all of that as an Irish national living in the town I certainly wouldn't be prepared to participate.

Advertisement