Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund: what time period is reasonable?

Options
  • 13-05-2009 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Hi, I used to be with Digiweb but cancelled in January, my modem was removed early February.

Three times now I have been sent an invoice showing Digiweb owes me about 70 euro. But I still haven't received any refund. (> 3 months now)

What is a normal time to get your money back? I do understand they like to wait a bit to see if some late (phone) events may come in or so but 3 months seems a bit rich?

I phoned and emailed. When I phone the reply is always "Oh will check that for you" and on emails the same, if they reply at all.

What should be my next step? A handwritten letter? Or should I write to COMREG?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I would probably send in a written letter by registered post at this stage addressed to the head of complaints or customer service (ring up and ask the persons name).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you have waited long enough - goto COMREG (although dont think thats their area)

if its not their area - goto small claims court or contact a solicitor, talk to someone that knows what to do/where to go - I think the small claims should be the right way to go - but could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Thanks for the reply's, I guess I will try Random's suggestion first.
    It's a lot of paperwork to go the legal way :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I doubt if Digiweb (or any ISP for that matter) would be as indulgent towards you as you have been with them if you owed them money for over three months.

I would phone them and ask for the head of Billing and tell him/her that you want a cheque by return or Comreg/Small claims court await. (As is now so fashionable you could always refer the outstanding amount to a suitable firm of debt collectors:D)

Sadly companies can basically behave like this with impunity. Those thinking of dealing with Digiweb should obviously learn from such customer experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Call them up and ask for an email or letter stating that your account with them is closed and get them to give you the exact date that it was cancelled.
    Also ask for a statment of your account showing the credit balance.

Once you have these statements in writing, get back onto them and ask what the delay in you receiving your refund is.
    It's possible that the account was not cancelled when you think it was if there was a delay in the admin/cancellation.
    Nonetheless, your refund should have reached you by now.

If they say that they have already processed your refund, you should wait 5 working days from the processing date and be prepared to provide a copy of your statment showing that the funds did not reach you (you can black out figures and private info as long as the transaction names and your name are showing.

If you were paying by direct debit, they might have had to wait a week or two to ensure that the last payment did not bounce back, but that should have only held things up for a fortnight.

If dealing with them directly does not work, go to ComReg, this is what they are here for.
    They will ask you for a complaint number, so you should get a ticket ref or complaint number from the next agent you speak to.
    As far as I know, once the issue has been handed over to ComReg, they will take things from there and you should really only deal with them until they feel the issue has been resolved.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

PCPhoto wrote: »
    you have waited long enough - goto COMREG (although dont think thats their area)

if its not their area - goto small claims court or contact a solicitor, talk to someone that knows what to do/where to go - I think the small claims should be the right way to go - but could be wrong.

Ah Comreg, the most useless regulator on the planet. Nothing belongs in their remit yet the licence all the operators and then pretend they have no oversight.
    An ashtray on the proverbial motorbike would be more useful...

Free market Luddites living in a "fully deregulated market" seemingly.

bealtine wrote: »
    Ah Comreg, the most useless regulator on the planet. Nothing belongs in their remit yet the licence all the operators and then pretend they have no oversight.
    An ashtray on the proverbial motorbike would be more useful...

Free market Luddites living in a "fully deregulated market" seemingly.

Be that as it may, the complaints raised by them to companies (after the company has been contacted by the customer directly) are treated a little more seriously than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Well, I phoned in again today, asking for escalation.
    This time I got an email back telling me the money would be transferred today. Let's hope all be well in 5 days and the hassle is over. Fingers crossed.

Glad to hear it.
    Give it 6 working days before you get back to them.

I'd ask for an official explaination as to why it took so long for you to receive your funds once you have them.
    Maybe their procedures will be investigated if they realise there's something wrong in that department.

Best of luck.

Advertisement