Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suggestions welcome...

Options
  • 13-05-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I've got a two year old daughter and there's two minor things that constantly upset her that I'd like to try and help her with. They're things I thought she'd get used and grow out of and the few things I tried haven't helped. I welcome all suggestions or posts sharing similar experiences. :)

Firstly, she doesn't like water running down her face. She doesn't mind swimming and having water splash in her face or being splashed in her face or being wiped with a damp sponge but can't stand water running down her face. Which means that any time we wash her hair she gets upset. Anybody else had a similar experience and have some suggestions?

Secondly, she's scared of the vacuum cleaner. Really not a big thing (it can actually be really cute sometimes) but it is something that seems to have become worse rather than better and I just assumed it'd go the other way as she got used to it.

Again, all suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Jaysus I used to be scared poopless of water running down my face to. Your post only reminded me of it lol. I can vaguely remember balling me eyes out because of it. Dont know how I got over it. I presume I just grew out of it.
    Could you perhaps leave the hoover beside the couch or something while your not using it. Maybe with it off your child might get used to it. Obviously weld all the cables to it so she cant harm herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

My OH hates the water on his face thing to, he tilts his head back and sticks a folded damp, wrung out washcloth on his forehead and that stops most of it, or he gets me to hold it on his head :P Maybe you could get a thick terrytowl elasticated hairband, like the type beauticans use and put that on her hairline to stop water dribbling down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I have both problems with my 19 month old, and my 7 year old still hates water on his face, even swimming etc.

For the 7 year old we do the facecloth thing described by PP. You used to be able to get a kind of foam head thing in the like of Mother*care, its like a halo and its wide so you pop in on their heads like a hairband and it stands out away from the head and you can wash hair in peace then.

Not sure what to recommend about the vaccum cleaner, we haven't figured out that one yet. My 19 month old is also afraid of electric toothbrushes, hair clippers etc.............anything that he thinks might be hurting us :( For now we just try and vaccum when both of us are around so that one of us can stay with him in another room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Re the water problem- we had the same problem with our eldest- I used both the foam thing that you put around their face and facecloths. I find face cloths were better. Have a chat with them or a singsong while you are doing their hair and tell them to look right up at the ceiling and hold face cloth over their face. You distract them with the chat or the song and get it over quickly.

About the vacuum, would you think about getting her her own toy vacuum ( they have them in Smyths and places like that) so that she can vacuum along with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I'm still the same at 22 :D

Try to hoover with the door closed maybe. It'll block at least some of the sound.
    The water running down the face is just extremely uncomfortable. Imagine if there was water running down your face and you had no control over it? it's terrifying!

I think I really only got over it when I started to wash my hair myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement