Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuckoo cooing after midnight

• 13-05-2009 11:27pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Well was out for a stroll on a lovely clear night last weekend around 12.30am and I heard the cuckoo cooing her heart out. I was a bit surprised as I assumed that she would be tucked up somewhere at that time.. Is it unusal to hear her out an about so late???

A couple of times lately birds caught me by surprise flying overhead and it was late and very dark...

Usually around here 8 o clock and there isent a sound outta the birdies???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

If the bird you heard was cooing I don't think it was a cuckoo. More then likely a woodpigeon or a collared dove!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

A cuckoo would have been cuckooing :D

However i have often heard Cuckoo's on a fine warm Summer's evening so it may be what you heard. However the cuckoo sound is unmistakable!

You can hear the cuckoo on this link.
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/cuckoo/

And here is the sound of my favourite "collared doves"

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/collareddove/index.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Some birds seem to sing all through the night. There is a grasshopper warbler nearby.

And another glorious song that seems to be sung at all hours; wondering if it might be a nightingale ?

The local cuckoo is a late caller also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

sorella wrote: »
    Some birds seem to sing all through the night. There is a grasshopper warbler nearby.

And another glorious song that seems to be sung at all hours; wondering if it might be a nightingale ?

The local cuckoo is a late caller also.

Yes many birds sing through the night and the wonderful Grasshopper Warbler is certainly one of them.
    A Nightingale is not likely. They actually sing more during the day than at night although their name suggests otherwise!

Advertisement