Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matching FSB and RAM speeds! advice??

Options
  • 14-05-2009 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

hey, ive a 4/5 year old dell inspiron 6000 and have been looking to upgrade the ram to 2gb. after being on crucial's site they recommend a pc2-5300, ddr2 667.
    my bus clock is 133mhz which makes my fsb 533mhz yes???
    so my ram would be quicker then my computer can read it. will it still work!!?? or should i be hunting down a pc2-4200, ddr2 533? or lower again?
    the truth be known i only understand half of what i just said, and most of it only since about 2 hours ago. so im ready to throw caution to the wind and get my €20 memory pc2-5300 off ebay, but thought id see what the people in the know have to say! any help much appreciated!
    aL

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It'll work. I'd be wary of buying off ebay though. Just check to make sure the seller is selling decent quality stuff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Don't worry, the PC should automatically underclock the RAM to run at 533MHz (highest possible on a 133MHz bus). The only real reason to get DDR2-533 (PC4200) would be if it was cheaper than the PC5300.

Just bear in mind what AlmightyCushion said - lots of poo out there on eGay :( Even if it looks legit check that there aren't retarded mandatory insurance/inflated p&p charges! If the memory costs €20, fine. But if it ends up costing €40 after p&p then there's far better deals elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭alhimself

gonna get some straight off crucial i think, in its defense i find ebay alright once you shop around so to speak. believe it or not anywhere ive looked 4200 costs more then 5300, ebay or otherwise. thanks v. much for the help thought! tide me over till i get a few euro together for a new lappy!
    aL

Advertisement