Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[US/IRL] 5X16/17 - "The Incident" - 2 Hour Season Finale [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

When I first finished the episode, I literally shouted WTF at the computer and felt like throwing my keyboard at the screen. For some reason I had always assumed we'd find out before the end whether the hydrogen bomb worked and give us some major plot twist after the bomb exploded as the main cliffhanger for the season.

I'll be honest though, I hadn't figured out any of the stuff regarding Esau, the smoke monster and Locke will I watched it. Even when Jacob mentioned about the loophole to Evil Locke, it hadn't occurred to me that he was referring to the very first scene in the episode. And because I hadn't figured it out, I was seriously disappointed when the episode ended like it did.

But after reading all the theories on here and Lostpedia, it all made sense to me. So I went back, rewatched the episode, and I'm now sooo much more happy then when I first watched it.

Bravo Lost, you've done it again. Another amazing, amazing episode.

10/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

brilliant finale its set up season 6 so that anything can happen,

must say all this talk of the incident, was it prevented, or not, id say it deffinately wasnt prevented, weve been told very plainly that you cant change the future, you saw that sawyer and kate didnt want jack to set off the bomb and prevent the incident, untill miles said that it could cause the incident, then sawyer and kate were more than happy to help out,
    the only question about the incident is will it affect the losties time problem, id say it wont as the geomagnetics have squat to do with the exotic particles that cause time travel, so id say we could be in the 70s for at least a quarter or next season,

ben failed hes test, he has always been told by richard that he has to be patient, and after being patient for 35 years, hes finally put to the test and fails miserably, he didnt kill jacob but even attemping it will have massive consequences for him, i can see jacob forgiving him and making him earn he forgivness, whoever the fake john is made a huge error that will take all of next season to try and get anywhere near fixing, culminateing in the end of season 6, whatever that will be,

it was nice to see rose and bernard again, i doubth that is the last well see of them, it cant be there skeletons in the cave as when the 1970ers do eventually return to the 2000s rose and bernard will go with them, therefore cant end up in the caves in 2003-4,

juilette i really really hope returns next year, and i would hope has a bigger role, what we have of her is great, but i think she could be a much bigger caracter, remember when desmond blew up the hatch, he survived a point blank exploision so i see no reason juliette cant,

i dont think it was jacob being held in the cabin id say it was whoever was impersonateing locke,

and if it is smokey impersonateing everyone, how is he impersonateing christian, as christian was dead when he arrived on the island, and what was christian doing in the cabin with claire, all those years ago, fair enough being one person, but 2 at the same time,

also it seems jacob has been off the island a lot, how is it he gets on and off without being noticed,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Imagine they started the next season with the explosion killing Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Juliet, Jin, Hurley, Miles and Sayid and the entire sixth season revolves around Ben, Fake Locke, Jacob, Richard, Sun, Ilanna, Bram, Lapidus & the return of Claire & Desmond. Now that would be a game changer. ABC are downsizing the cast members in other shows - this would be a clever way to get rid of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

It could happen knowing lost...i dunno how id feel about it, but hey it could work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I wonder what's going to happen with Desmond next year? He was more or less relegated to cameo appearances this season. And in his last scene he was promising Penny (again) that he'd never leave her. With only 17 episodes left there may not be much point bringing him back to the island at this late stage.

I wonder if Cusack will even be a regular next season? Maybe they'll choose to wrap up his story early. I believe ABC are making cast cutbacks on all their other shows and, with the way the ratings are, Lost is unlikely to be an exception.

I was talking about this to someone the other day. I really hope they have a big story for Desmond next season otherwise I think it is a big mistake keeping him on. Desmond and Penny were always the ultimate lost love story. Having them literally sail of into the sunset would have been perfect way to end it. Seeing him after doing nothing just dilutes it.

The only other explanation I can think of is they had to bring them back just to fulfil Ben's pledge to Widmore to kill or at least attempt to kill Penny but I assume they knew the season 4 finale when they wrote that scene so it didn't need to be said.

On the point of love stories. it's occurred to me with Juliet gone(I'm near certain she is dead, it was a nuclear bomb!) looks like we are going back to the love triangle in season 6. God damn it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That fúcking ending. AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! God damn it!

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's the S6 promo.

If that final shot means what I think it means, then :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Daysha wrote: »
    If that final shot means what I think it means, then :eek::eek::eek:

For those of us at the back of the classroom, what do you think that final shot means? Because currently I think I'm on a different page...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Am I the only one that is super pissed off with the whole Locke situation?

Locke is the best character in the whole show. if they have indeed killed him off and replaced him with "evil Locke" then it's a stupid, stupid, stupid end to Locke's story.

And the whole thing with Locke's body... if they wanted to prove that locke was really dead, then why didn't they show it to Ben when they were still at the crash site? would have saved them an awful lot of trouble.
    LZ5by5 wrote:
    The man in black (as Locke) believes in manipulation to get what he wants whereas Jacob believes in giving people a choice without influence. Jacob probably knew that his honesty in the way he dealt with Ben was going to be the undoing of him.

He was manipulating Sayid by holding him and Nadia up, in essence causing the accident.

Every one seems to think Jacob is the good guy, what if he's not? (regardless of what Latin man Ricardus said) some of the things he did, instigated and watched happen, when you think about it actually suggest that Jacob isn't a good guy (Nadia for one)

Everything Jacob was doing seemed to be to his own ends.

And why wont jack just die??? i hate that guy, knowing my luck he'll be alive next season...

If Locke really was the man in black from the start that wanted to kill Jacob, then why did he not know where Jacob lived?

He was manipulating Sayid by holding him and Nadia up, in essence causing the accident.

Every one seems to think Jacob is the good guy, what if he's not? (regardless of what Latin man Ricardus said) some of the things he did, instigated and watched happen, when you think about it actually suggest that Jacob isn't a good guy (Nadia for one)

I'd hardly go to the extent of saying Jacob caused Nadia's death - it seems she was gonna be hit regardless. Jacob merely stopped Sayid from getting hit as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Everyone in the thread is talking about the ending, for me the main part of the whole episode was the opening scene. The ending was no real shocker, it had been built up to this the last few epsiodes.

The opening scene explains the whole series and whats to follow for me. The key part of it being the speech between Jacob and Esua when the boat is arriving, Jacob says Esua is wrong referring to people and the way they act and the choices they make between good and evil. Esua replies "They come..fight..they destroy..they corrupt..it always ends the same." Suggesting that when people come to the island they fight, power etc takes over and they are evil people which allows him to manipulate them when they die taking over their bodies and in the end they all die or become corrupt. Jacob replies "If it only ends once anything before that is just progress". His response is what stands out for me, suggesting that someday it will all end and good will triumph over evil (Jacob wins over Esua) and all the deaths,corruptness and everything else of the people he (Jacob) brings to the island will be worth it.
    We know Jacob brought the people on the boat and I believe it is in the hope that they are good people with strong faith and will make the right choices choosing good over evil which will enable him to overthrow Esua and possibly kill him. These people on the boat are obviously not the first people as Esua says its always the same, my belief is that Richards people were before these and that the same thing happened to Richards people, wiping each other out but that Jacob gave Richard the power of eternal life as he needed someone he could trust and someone on the side of good on the island.
    Ben in all of this is like a pawn torn between the two for most of his time on the island, he see's his dead mother at one stage which we can take to be Esua trying to corrupt him yet Ben chooses to follow Richard and later follow the instructions of Jacob without ever meeting him.
    Jacob leaves the island on different occassions to find more people to bring to the island in the hope of overthrowing Esua and proving him wrong and that good can win over evil and by people making their own choices..the right choices. Hence his visit to the people of flight 815 leading them to come to the island the same way the boat did.
    Way back in the beginning we see the smoke monster try pull John Locke down a hole, probably because Esua sees Locke as being weak and corruptable and part of his plan for later. Through various parts of the show he takes the form of dead people such as Remy, Christian etc to corrupt and mislead other people into making the wrong choices. Locke leaves the island believing its his destiny and that he will have to make a sacrifice to save everyone on the island however this is Esuas plan as he knows Jacob will try bring everyone in this special group back to the island including Locke and this will be his loophole.

At this point Ben doing the work of Jacob is off island trying to bring everyone that left back as Jacob feels these are the right people to end all this, these are the choosen ones lets say. In doing so they bring back Locke which opens a loophole for Esua because he can now present himself to people on the Island as Locke and make them belief he has been reincarnated etc and to follow his word. This leads to Richard , Ben and the group going with Locke to find Jacob. I believe that Jacob has been in hiding up to this and the only person who knew where he lived was Richard (His long time follower/disciple) and this is why Evil Locke (Esua) needed to convince Richard to take him there. Once there he cant kill Jacob himself because this is part of their background so he uses the rage and evil in Ben to convince Ben to do so and appearing as Alex saying do what Locke says. Ben is so angry when Jacob says "what about you??" that he kills Jacob without hesitating. However I feel that this was Jacobs plan all along as he needed everyone back on the island to stop the time flashes from happening and then for things to realign themselves properly. In knowing that Jack etc will drop the bomb and reset things putting them back in the correct timeline he is willing to accept what is about to happen. As usual he gives Ben the freedom of choice to do what is right as that is his way as oppose to Esua who forces people to do wrong. Ben kills Jacob who then utters the words "they are coming"..referring to the return of Jack, kate, Sawyer, Hurley, Sayid and Jin to save the day and to bring about the end of Esua in next season with good winning over evil. I believe that they will simply time shift to the correct timeline where Evil Locke etc are and between them, Richard and the new group of followers who brought Lockes dead body they will rise up to defeat Esua and freeing the island of evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm glad we finally got to see Jacob but I thought at the end of the episode they would at least give us a tidbit of info on him or on his nemesis. A hint. A word written on a damn wall. And then he's stabbed. And then it ****ing ends. Cheers.

I liked it but it was one of the weakest instalments this season and seemed to lack any real focus. It shambled to a conclusion that gave us nothing but it has got me thinking. Normally I'd embrace a good Lostie what if but they didn't give us a tangent to follow.

One thing is irrifutable. What happens, happens. Jack and co. were never going to alter history from it's course. They were always a part of what happened. I don't see that they will be much more use back in the seventies. On a more practical note I think the writers would want to reunite the Losties for the last season, draw some strings together and lay down some resolutions so the ending was more than likely a time flash in my eyes. Of course it could always be something more symbolic as mentioned or possibly just to tease the viewer with the idea of a detonation.

The white/black symbolic stuff is interesting, as are the illusions to Egyptian mythology. I'm cusious whether Jacob inherited some sort of role on the island or whether he is in fact some kind of mythological egyptian figure tied to the island as his nemesis seemingly is. From the emnity between the two I would say that they have been there since the beginning of things.
    How then is the smoke monster related to the two? We see that smokey can create apparitions of the dead and we see that Jacobs enemy can act in the form of the dead. Are the two then the same, are they both functions acting for the entity that is the island or are they seperate entities? I think smokey and the nemesis of Jacob to be unrelated, at least no more so than Jacob himself would be related to Smokey but that's just assuption on my part. As I said, I would have liked something to chew on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I thought it was crap, not exactly the best season finale for fans that have stayed with the show to this point.
    ( I ducked out for a while somewhere around season 3 or 4. But for the fans that frequent lostpedia and like to voice their well
    thought out theorys, it was a failure and a big FU
    )

That season 6 preview... wtf.. I am assuming thats Jacks eye like in the pilot.
    We were left with a cliffhanger and now we see this.. "the final season"... "Someone will..wake...up"! Wow, **** off!

This was a great season and I was moist with anticipation of this finale! But mein gott they have **** all over it and again,
    made me question whether i give a toss whats going on anymore.
    Or if i appreciate the "we'll just make it up as we go along" writing style.

"What lies behind the shadow of the statue?" Seriously, come on.. wtf is that? It was niggling at me in earlier episodes but I let it go.
    To me it comes across as the writers trying too hard to be mysterious but they end up being really annoyingly pretentious.

"Circle of ashes to contain the evil". Really, what a pile of jizz.
    How about a smoke monster, a sonic gate or a polar bear with fricking lazers on his head.. cheapass!!

But the cliffhanger, they pissed all over the true fans* of the series. And there are some who will like it(think marmite).
    And there are some who will bear it because they are so loyal. And some just like being pissed on. Kinky fcukers.

* I am no true fan, I watch it because its on and if im really unsure about anything particular i'll come here and read the opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I thought it was crap, not exactly the best season finale for fans that have stayed with the show to this point.
    ( I ducked out for a while somewhere around season 3 or 4. But for the fans that frequent lostpedia and like to voice their well
    thought out theorys, it was a failure and a big FU
    )

Actually I totally disagree. I think this was made for the loyal lostpedia reading fans. The ones who will totally dislike it are the casual fans if there any left due to the amount of mythology and symbolism which is right up a hardcore fanatics street.

Also can people please not discuss the season 6 promo thing or whatever it was in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

For those of us at the back of the classroom, what do you think that final shot means? Because currently I think I'm on a different page...

Edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Plot hole maybe,

Did anybody else pick up on the fact that Jacob meet everybody except Hurley and Sayid Pre 2004!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Plot hole maybe,

Did anybody else pick up on the fact that Jacob meet everybody except Hurley and Sayid Pre 2004!

Thought that was pretty obvious?

There's nothing to suggest he didn't meet every person who was on 815 pre 2004 to influence them all to make it to the island. Maybe showing him meeting Hurley and Sayid was just to suggest that he had a hand in bringing them back the second time too, doing whatever work Ben couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I really thought it was a bit of an average episode overall!

Sawyer and Jack's fight being a personal high-light.. it went back (albeit temporarily) to the conflict of earlier seasons.

To be honest, I went into the finale knowing someone would die - it's the 'Lost' way! And finding out it would be either Sayid (not bloody likely) or Juliet.. to be honest, I never cared about either of their characters. So it wasn't a huge big deal to me. I think Charlie is still the biggest 'Lost' death to be honest.. say what you want, his character was likeable. Juliet just ponced about the place with nothing to add. And Sawyer blubbering just felt odd since I know they've technically been together 3 years.. but it's actually only been about half a season, d'ya get me? The whole chain wrapping around Juliet just looked odd to be honest.. all I could think about was how heavy could that chain actually be. I know it's due to electromagnetism but to see a chain knock this woman on her ass and drag her down into the core just looked odd!

So, we finally get to meet Rita's druggie ex-husband... I mean Jacob. It was interesting to see how he reacted with the characters at various stages but overall, I didn't think it added much (bar his altercation with Locke).

I could see the 'Lost' logo coming a mile off when Juliet was hitting the core of Jughead with the rock. It was a killer of a cliffhanger alright.. but hardly suprising. I mean if someone said to you the episode revolved around them trying to detonate a hydrogen bomb which could potentially change the fate of the flight of Oceanic 815 and bear in mind, it's being written by Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse - how do you think the episode will end? You can bet your ass you wouldn't think "well.. if the bomb was detonated, they'd clearly show the after-effects in the same episode. I mean they wouldn't tease us with waiting 8 months to see the effect of what happened?!". Of course they would.. it's 'Lost' FFS! :D

Felt the Locke - Richard - Ben stuff was largely filler as was the flashbacks (sorry, the flashbacks with Jacob).. "Jughead" was the heart of this episode and do I really give a flying feck if Rose and Bernard are happy together living like a bunch of nomads? What a painful scene!

Overall.. definitely not the strongest finale of 'Lost' - which I think still goes to season 3 by a country mile (the flashforward).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

basquille wrote: »
    So, we finally get to meet Rita's druggie ex-husband... I mean Jacob.
    So that's where I know him from. Of course. Wasn't bothered looking it up. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

purcela wrote: »
    Definitely the worst ending to any episode of Lost ever. Clearly the writers buying themselves more time to come up with a complete script for the final season.

While I enjoyed the episode, I have to agree with you that it's clearly obvious the ending gave the writers a blank piece of paper. At the same time, I loved it and feel it's the ultimate cliff-hanger.

Does anyone have an anxious feeling the following season will get more biblical and just plagiarise from one of the oldest books of fiction? I sure hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    I cant wait to see what the white smoke monster will look like.

Eh.. White smoke will look like white smoke.

Can we assume that every manifestation of a dead person

(
    Christian Shepard appearing to jack, sun etc.
    Hurely's multiple visions of Libby and Ana Lucia etc.
    Yemi appearing to Eko
    Alex appearing to Ben
    )

have all been "Esau" in disguise?

Here is one to ponder. If Jacob's foe manifested as all these people, and I'd be pretty sure he was impersonating Christian all along, then why in the mini webisodes does it show Christian getting Vincent to go wake Jack - "He has work to do"?
    Woddle wrote: »
    I think Jack has still caused the incident
    Resi12 wrote: »
    I just hope Juliette's legacy isn't the one who caused the incident!

Take a hint guys.... Radzinsky cause the incident. Jack/Juliet prevented it from destroying everything, the island/the world. This leaves Dharma to keep the magnetism at bay every 108 minutes. (looking forward to seeing how Chang solves that one in the short time, but doubt it'd be shown).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    I cant wait to see what the white smoke monster will look like.

smokemonster1_2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

why will there be a white smoke monster ?

smokemonster1_2.jpg
    Albino Eko! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

It's becoming more and more clear the writers had no clear ending in place at all for this show. They had some kooky (and stolen from Stephen King) ideas early on and kept coming up with more and more 'unrealistic' things, which is fine. But there is no clear 'world' to the show. They just throw in random things, there is no complete universe, no clear rules to follow. Shows like Carnivale, whether you like it or not, had scenes in the first episode that were directly linked to the ending of the show, it was thought out in advance.

There is a concept so dug in to lost now they have no clear ways to write out of this.

It's a parallel dimension thing, and each node is now obvious, or some equally 'it was alllll a dream ending' seems strongly on the cards.

How many random, unexplained things can they throw at the audience before people just get tired. Sky and other channel's entire advertising campaign is 'it will make sense soon... hopefully.'

Sorry for the rant, but there needs to be ONE piece of resolution in this, and less random killing off characters to keep it 'interesting'.

Dreadful finale, and the stupid smoke can bugger off too.

Sorry!
    Ross

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Maybe I'm in denial but I'm still not convinced that Juliet is dead and gone. I mean certainly that's the end of Mitchell as a regular cast member but if Desmond can survive the fail-safe implosion, Juliet can (and really should) survive this.

She didn't even get a centric-episode this season and I don't believe that they'd kill her without resolving her sister-backstory first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

108 lost fans have voted in the poll above, coincidence?

There is no way that we can assume Juliet is dead until the cast list for next season is released. But I doubt she would get another centric episode, with only 17 remaining, a lot to tie up, Claire returning, etc.

Are we meant to assume that the detonation of the bomb automatically sent Sawyer and co back to 2007? Why would that send anyone forward or backwards in time? This didnt happen when Desmond turned the failsafe key.

And surely there are a few Dharma incidents to tie up, building the Swan, The Purge, etc, before we can leave that storyline behind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

108 lost fans have voted in the poll above, coincidence?
    Hehe, yeah. 108 posts in the "Follow the Leader" thread as well. :D

Are we meant to assume that the detonation of the bomb automatically sent Sawyer and co back to 2007? Why would that send anyone forward or backwards in time? This didnt happen when Desmond turned the failsafe key.
    I don't think we can assume anything.

109 posts, someone ruined it!

There was a spoiler going around the internet recently that there was to be a major death in the finale, that would have viewers react the same way they did when Charlie died. This suggests either Sayid or Juliet as they were the only main characters that could have died, but Sayid's death would hardly have an emotional reaction.

Surely Sayid's story is finished at this stage though. He has been hanging on unnecessarily for quite a while now. The story of him working for Ben wasn't even that interesting. It seems he was kept around so he could go back to the island on flight 316 with the others. He has wanted to die ever since Nadia was killed so maybe now the writers will let him go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭#Daniel

I'm surprised Juliette survived a 40 foot drop down a hole(well, we couldnt see the bottom of it anyway so it must have been deep), never mind the bomb! :p

If Juliette is dead, it means Jack and Company are all dead too, since a bomb like that would probably kill everything on the island.

#Daniel wrote: »
    I'm surprised Juliette survived a 40 foot drop down a hole(well, we couldnt see the bottom of it anyway so it must have been deep), never mind the bomb! :p
    I was meant to mention that earlier alright.. a 40 foot drop plus all the various objects (metal bars, wheelbarrows etc) collapsing in on top of her.

She survived and although slightly trapped, she wasn't paralysed or anything!

:D

basquille wrote: »
    I was meant to mention that earlier alright.. a 40 foot drop plus all the various objects (metal bars, wheelbarrows etc) collapsing in on top of her.

She survived and although slightly trapped, she wasn't paralysed or anything!

:D

Not only did she fall down the hole, she was forcefully dragged into it, so she would have fallen even faster which definitely should have killed her. And the huge lump of metal that Sawyer was lying on went into the hole after Juliet did, so it must have landed on her. I was half expecting to see Christian down there when she started looking around. Disappointed that his only appearance in the episode was in the flashback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

I'm not sure if someone else touched on this because I didn't read through the full thread so apologies in advance.
    I was thinking about what was happening in the "real world" while some of the losties were trapped back in the 70s.
    In the real world 1977 there is, for example, a 9 year old Sawyer just minding his own business, playing with his GI Joes or whatever. Has he started having dreams / memories of what's happening to "39 year old Sawyer" on the Island (where the year is also 1977) and will this effect future events? (In the same way that during the flashes/time travel bit faraday talked to "past desmond" and gave him instructions and then "present desmond" had a memory of it and went to look for faradays mother.)

Secondly, in the event that the detonation of the bomb did send them all back to 2007 and the plane lands safely etc. isn't there a chance that "Island Sawyer" could be walking down the street one day and meet "Real World Sawyer"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

#Daniel wrote: »
    If Juliette is dead, it means Jack and Company are all dead too, since a bomb like that would probably kill everything on the island.

No it doesn't. If What Happened, Happened as they keep saying, then Chang survives to record more orientation videos, and if he survives then there's no reason Jack & co don't survive.
    I was half expecting to see Christian down there when she started looking around. Disappointed that his only appearance in the episode was in the flashback.

But Christian, it now appears seems to have been a manifestation by Jacob's enemy so seeing him at the bottom of the pit isn't necessary for Juliet's story.
    seabee wrote: »
    I'm not sure if someone else touched on this because I didn't read through the full thread so apologies in advance.
    I was thinking about what was happening in the "real world" while some of the losties were trapped back in the 70s.
    In the real world 1977 there is, for example, a 9 year old Sawyer just minding his own business, playing with his GI Joes or whatever. Has he started having dreams / memories of what's happening to "39 year old Sawyer" on the Island (where the year is also 1977) and will this effect future events? (In the same way that during the flashes/time travel bit faraday talked to "past desmond" and gave him instructions and then "present desmond" had a memory of it and went to look for faradays mother.)

Secondly, in the event that the detonation of the bomb did send them all back to 2007 and the plane lands safely etc. isn't there a chance that "Island Sawyer" could be walking down the street one day and meet "Real World Sawyer"...

Man, this is way off.

There is no way IF they happened to make things ok that the plane lands in LAX - there wouldn't be 2 Sawyers, just the one. So how could he possibly bump into himself. This isn't the new Star Trek movie, Lost is playing by a different time travel logic. There should be no split/alternate timelines, just the one - according to the producers. The only way I can imagine Characters meeting each other on the show was through the time skipping, or if the Losties remain in 1977 then they could (but don't) meet their younger selves after they crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I must say I enjoyed that episode even if it was outrageously far fetched,full of paradoxes and downright crazy.

The backstory of Jacob and his colleague was very good .
    Also liked the revelation that Locke was dead (although I had guessed that last week)

Kate,Sawyer and Juliet's escape from the submarine and reasoning for returning to the Island were laughable.
    They wanted to stop Jack ,then a few minutes later they super keen to set off the nuke.No proper explanation at all.
    Jack was like a cowboy in the wild West shooting anybody he could,absolutely ludicrous.
    Slaughtering innocent people for his own selfish ways.

So it seems Jacob can see the future ,or is that the past ??:D
    The plot has really become convoluted and outrageously far fetched .
    Its a case of which came first ,the chicken or the egg.
    Jacob has been planning 30-40 years ahead and manipulating/influencing characters to orchestrate a higher goal.

In some ways Lost is a bit like another great show Battlestar Galactica in that
    "All this has happened before and will happen again"
    Civilisation comes to the island ,becomes powerful and advanced ,then destroys itself.
    Repeat loop again and again and again.
    Both show's characters are influenced and manipulated by higher beings .

I liked the cliffhanger,it was pretty obvious that is how the series was going to end .
    Looking forward to season 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Jack was like a cowboy in the wild West shooting anybody he could,absolutely ludicrous.
    Slaughtering innocent people for his own selfish ways.

In some ways Lost is a bit like another great show Battlestar Galactica in that
    "All this has happened before and will happen again"
    Civilisation comes to the island ,becomes powerful and advanced ,then destroys itself.
    Repeat loop again and again and again.
    Both show's characters are influenced and manipulated by higher beings .

For Jack to believe in Daniels theory then he wouldnt have any regard for anyone else on the Island. Jack of old would not have done this but in the absence of Locke he is taking over his crazed role. Also he was on the defensive-getting shot at by everyone else. If he was that much of a cowboy he would have killed Bens dad before Sayid was shot!

Yes very like BSG in another aspect; How losties and the others are together now as per humans and rogue cylons.

There was a spoiler going around the internet recently that there was to be a major death in the finale, that would have viewers react the same way they did when Charlie died. This suggests either Sayid or Juliet as they were the only main characters that could have died, but Sayid's death would hardly have an emotional reaction.

I'm actually a little surprised at the lack of discussion about this - but 1 thing the episode seemed to suggest quite clearly is that Locke is, in fact, dead. That he was used as a pawn, deceived into believing he needed to die to fulfill his destiny. Whilst he didn't actually die in this episode, none of us actually believed he was dead so in some respects this is a massive "death"/reveal that should have strong audience resonance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

But Christian, it now appears seems to have been a manifestation by Jacob's enemy so seeing him at the bottom of the pit isn't necessary for Juliet's story.

Also, wasn't Christian by the wheel, at the bottom of the Orchid, while this hole was at the bottom of the Swan.

I'm actually a little surprised at the lack of discussion about this - but 1 thing the episode seemed to suggest quite clearly is that Locke is, in fact, dead. That he was used as a pawn, deceived into believing he needed to die to fulfill his destiny. Whilst he didn't actually die in this episode, none of us actually believed he was dead so in some respects this is a massive "death"/reveal that should have strong audience resonance.

I agree with you on this, that Locke is the only major character that we found out was dead in this episode, so he must have been the major death of the finale. But do you think it was a bit of a let down or anti-climax? We had already seen Locke dead in the coffin in a season finale before, so we already had that shock. And by the time Ilana tipped his body out of the crate, most people had copped on that Locke was dead. Personally in the episode Dead is Dead I realised Locke wasn't alive when Ben said those words and Locke kept disappearing when the smoke monster appeared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭pkumohideeile

I can see the first 3 episodes being about chang containing the incident - 108minutes.

How many people want to catch a fish, cut a fillet (with a crappy knife), slap it on a heated rock, and eat it off a leaf?? Say 'I'.

I loved the Jacob character, really interesting. I would want someone like that sympathising with me if I fell out of a building. Just want to buy him a present for being such a cool guy. But seriously, why was Saywer and Sun/Jin visited by him? I can come up with some explaination for the rest but just don't see a really BIG reason for visting them.

I think it was a great 2 episodes. I was totally dissatisfied with the ending but reading boards i'm getting over it. There is just way too much stuff going on in Lost that I care about. After season 2/3 i just got out of the front seat and sat in the back to enjoy the ride. Now i'm going to dive into the boot and watch it through the rear window. Too much to care about, too easy to get pissed off next season.

Ultimately its just JJ Abrams and Damon Lindeloff made sketches from 2003 that we will be given by the end. It's not like Shakespeare and Dickens collaborated on this. We are not going to be given some crazy original. So i'm gonna just enjoy their egyptian and religious crap. I guess it's science fiction though now isn't it?

Black monster, White monster, Walt, Vincent, Hurley spin off sitcom. Anyone want to see that one?

Anyone else thinking they might watch all episodes from season 1 to season 5 again over the summer? I do have a life but might be doing this as i'm traveling alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

The difference between Locke & Christian, is that after the crash Christian's body vanished, Locke's did not. Could this be significant?

Also, about Juliette, I'm hoping that she turns up next season running naked though the jungle :D

But do you think it was a bit of a let down or anti-climax? We had already seen Locke dead in the coffin in a season finale before, so we already had that shock. And by the time Ilana tipped his body out of the crate, most people had copped on that Locke was dead. Personally in the episode Dead is Dead I realised Locke wasn't alive when Ben said those words and Locke kept disappearing when the smoke monster appeared.

Going back a bit further - the reaction to the coffin reveal was received as a bit meh, mainly because nobody actually believed Locke would remain dead, as his character was far too important to be killed off. If the writers have the conviction to carry through with this storyline as it looks on face value, then it is a pretty big shock. If Locke is dead and wont be returning then it's pretty apparent his "faith" in the island was misguided.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they stumble across Christians body in season 6 or perhaps it's in the Temple. I think 1 thing is pretty clear, the Temple will be a big part of Season 6. It just has to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

awhir wrote: »
    why will there be a white smoke monster ?

Ya has this been confirmed or what? I don't even remember hearing anything about another monster in the episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

sick twist at the end, i still can't believe that ben is a pisces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Haven't read all the posts but here is a few items...

Warning - SPOILERS!!!

The makers stated in a very recent interview that the ending of this season would provide enough clues to give you the ending of season six!
    Jacob managed to touch everyone that he was coming into contact with as he was travelling around - is this important?

Interesting earlier interview:
    Question: Got any scoop on the Lost finale? --Carolyn
    Ausiello: Funny, we posed that exact question to Damon Lindelof at the Hollywood premiere of Star Trek earlier this week. "All I will say is that it is time for the time travel craziness to end," he said. "And once it does end, something very, very surprising will happen in its wake. It is a little bit of a game-changer."

"People will find out why [Hurley] got on the plane and how he came to get that guitar case in his hands," he said. "I've been wondering about that, too. I remember at one point asking a question about it and getting a, 'We don't know yet.' I had to ask once, 'How heavy is it? Is it just a guitar? Is it something else? How heavy is it supposed to be?' Sometimes I get an empty case to lug around in a scene and sometimes it has a guitar in it, but we don't actually know what's in it because that has not been [revealed] yet. It could be a case full of food or money or guns or papers or anything. So you see me get the case by the finale, but I don't know that we will find out what's in it. It was hard for me to play because at first I did not understand why Hurley would have ever changed his mind about going back to the island, and I'm sure fans are thinking the same thing. So it will be nice to be able to give them that information."

Source: http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/index_page2.html

Just to get ye going - Lost Season Six. "Destiny Found".
    Whos eye at the end of this clip has has opened!

A good few the first episode of series six will open like the first with Jack again!

2i733ad.jpg

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/lost-destiny-found-the-final-season-2010/867257170/?icid=VIDLRVHOV03

Another interesting video here: http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/

Last episode Show recap: http://www.tvguide.com/Episode-Recaps/Lost/Lost-Episode-Recap-1006045.aspx

Other Lost news:

* Cusick, the actor who plays Desmond on the show, was recently named in a sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former "Lost" crew member. The suit also names ABC and a production company for the show.

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/12/AR2009051203386_2.html?sid=ST2009051300973

Full list of the 5 seasons episodes:

2nrio7r.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

The difference between Locke & Christian, is that after the crash Christian's body vanished, Locke's did not. Could this be significant?

Also, about Juliette, I'm hoping that she turns up next season running naked though the jungle :D

I would presume that Smokie Christian hid/ burned the real Christian's body in the same way that Smokie Locke must have moved the body into the metal case.

As regards Juliet, I was looking at IMDB today (never when the shows are on), and she is part of the remake of V. Now of course she could be offed by a lizard in one episode, but it might mean she's not coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I said the exact same things, i mean its one thing to fall with gravity, but because of the magnitisim she would be falling SEVERAL times faster than gravity. Im no physisist(sp?) but i know if the magnitisim is enough to rip down a crane then shes going to be going down that hole PREEEETTTTTY fast. To not even be paralysed/knocked out isnt just improbable...its pretty much impossible.

One thing though, just an idea i got in me head there, not sure if im right or wrong at all though maybe you guys can shed some light. Campbell was alive after "the incident" to make the dharma orientation films right? He was not much further away than the losties from the epicentre so therefore does that not mean that they nearly have as much chance as him as being alive regardless of what happens or am i getting confused here?

EDIT- didnt see pg 10, homerun homer beat me to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

I would presume that Smokie Christian hid/ burned the real Christian's body in the same way that Smokie Locke must have moved the body into the metal case.

As regards Juliet, I was looking at IMDB today (never when the shows are on), and she is part of the remake of V. Now of course she could be offed by a lizard in one episode, but it might mean she's not coming back.

The metal case being the coffin John's corpse was transported in ? ? :D

Also...how did the Black Rock end up in the middle of the island ? ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Two things are sticking with me right now:
    1. Juliet seemed to "awake" the same way Locke did after Jacob healed him, I'm convinced she did not survive the fall, or at least was almost dead, but was brought back by something.

2. Could claire have died before giving birth, and the being we call aaron not actually be the child claire was pregnant with when she got on the plane? She was very pally with shepard when we saw her in that cabin.

Advertisement