Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the fixture list be changed for the last few games?

• 14-05-2009 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

I think the current set up of games for the last 2 fixtures could make a huge difference for a lot of teams this year.

As you are all aware Man u are only a point away from claiming the league after tonight and with them playing Arsenal before anybody else, the league could be over before Liverpool even have a chance to kick a ball.

If lets say Utd do get a positive result against Arsenal and claim the trophy, chances are that Liverpool will be distraught, putting the ball in West Brom's court for them to beat them and a step closer to safety.

Through Sky's greed to make a bit more money out of an early kick off, this decision could effect any team fighting for relegation. Not saying that West Brom will beat Liverpool, but their chance will be significantly higher if the league is over

In this occasion The Manchester and Liverpool fixtures should be at the same time so that the playing field is level for all the teams involved.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It's no different tho to when there played on different days really I can't see Liverpool letting up myself they'll want to prove themselves and get as many points as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

It's not logistical. Had WBA lost last week, there'd be no reason to schedule the United and Liverpool matches at the same time, since West Brom would already be relegated. And you can't schedule the timing of matches less than 7 days prior to the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think its a fair enough point, if Liverpool can't win the league then there are players(not saying specifically Liverpool players) who just don't have the same desire, and players who don't want to risk injury with nothing to play for and might not dive in where they would in a different situation.

Money and Sky have too much control over these matters, and I don't think its right at this critical stage of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

I think it could bring an ironic end, with Andy Grey b*tching and moaning about referees determining the outcome of matches, while it could be the decision of the company he works for that could have the ultimate say in how the premiership ends, and which teams stay up and go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They could do something like the top 6 from last season could all have their last 5 game run in against each other. If the league is close then it will basically be a run for the title with each team having played against the same teams in the other 33 games and haveing and eqaully difficult run-in.

Could help cut down on meaningless games in the run in as the rivals will always want to beat each other and playing the teams your trying to catch means you can make ground and take points from them at the same time. Lots of 6 pointers to be had in the run in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

pipeliner wrote: »
    I think the current set up of games for the last 2 fixtures could make a huge difference for a lot of teams this year.

As you are all aware Man u are only a point away from claiming the league after tonight and with them playing Arsenal before anybody else, the league could be over before Liverpool even have a chance to kick a ball.

If lets say Utd do get a positive result against Arsenal and claim the trophy, chances are that Liverpool will be distraught, putting the ball in West Brom's court for them to beat them and a step closer to safety.

Through Sky's greed to make a bit more money out of an early kick off, this decision could effect any team fighting for relegation. Not saying that West Brom will beat Liverpool, but their chance will be significantly higher if the league is over

In this occasion The Manchester and Liverpool fixtures should be at the same time so that the playing field is level for all the teams involved.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think its a fair enough point, if Liverpool can't win the league then there are players(not saying specifically Liverpool players) who just don't have the same desire, and players who don't want to risk injury with nothing to play for and might not dive in where they would in a different situation.

Money and Sky have too much control over these matters, and I don't think its right at this critical stage of the season.

Hmmm they will play to keep 2nd spot there is more money for finishing 2nd than 3rd and you also get a higher share of the Champions League money so yes Liverpool still have something to play for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sky's greed me bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Stekelly wrote: »
    They could do something like the top 6 from last season could all have their last 5 game run in against each other. If the league is close then it will basically be a run for the title with each team having played against the same teams in the other 33 games and haveing and eqaully difficult run-in.

Could help cut down on meaningless games in the run in as the rivals will always want to beat each other and playing the teams your trying to catch means you can make ground and take points from them at the same time. Lots of 6 pointers to be had in the run in.

I don't like the idea of that Ste, I mean it takes away from the idea of a League and would just create even more of a gulf between the top teams and the lesser teams.

At the end of the day the league system should be completely random and performance over all 38 games should count equally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Draupnir wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of that Ste, I mean it takes away from the idea of a League and would just create even more of a gulf between the top teams and the lesser teams.

At the end of the day the league system should be completely random and performance over all 38 games should count equally.
    Plus with the likelihood of the top four teams still be in the latter stages of Champions League I doubt any team would wish to have to play the top 4 or 5 teams in their last 4 or 5 matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

In Germany all games of the 2 last days (33th and 34th games of the season) are played simultaneously at the same time to avoid any dodgy results or influences on certain games due to other results.

I think that this is a good idea to prevent any "dodgy" results or games. Also great entertainment value for conferences, as Relegation and Titles an change every few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sky would love the idea of everyone playing each other at the end of the season, no doubt about it.

The league is the league, its a year long competition. If you win it early, that's just life. No point in creating a situation where it'll be dramatic or whathave, imo the league is bloody dramatic enough as it is, if you think in a certain way about it.

I get nervous about the ties against Wigan in December, because I know it makes a bloody difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

OP how do you equate for a situation then if Liverpool had been out of the title race before this weekend and were safe in second? Surely now West Brom have an unfair advantage on their relegation rivals.

You could always make the league prize money based on points rather than position I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

pipeliner wrote: »
    Through Sky's greed to make a bit more money out of an early kick off,

I love the people who bash Sky, now Sky do have alot of failings, but are the people who actually bash them old enough to remember how we used watch matches pre sky?

I do, it consisted of watching the one match a week on a Saturday afternoon on RTE praying that the picture did not go dead as it frequently did. That's if the match popped up at all because sometimes there were "technical difficulties" and we were threated to a full Saturday of horses running around some wet field.

Give me sky any day of the week, they are welcome to my corporate soul, there is no fúckíng way I'm going back to what was before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Stekelly wrote: »

You couldn't just do it with the top 5 teams. You'd have to do it with every team because of teams fighting for the UEFA cup and teams fighting for relegation possibly having something to play for.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't really have an issue with the scheduling. That is where all the money comes from after all. The biggest relegation threatened winners from this though will be Hull I think. Assuming utd don't lose to Arsenal then utd will play a very reserve team to save the players for the Champions league final a few days later, and those that are playing will certainly not want to get injured. I suppose the way Hull are playing the last few months though it will hardly matter as even a second string, undertying utd team will probably beat them handy enough.

Sure why dont then after 19 games split the league in half with the top half playing each other again twice and the bottome half playing each other twice that way there will be no games between the top team and bottom team at the end of the season :p.

Its just the look of the draw. Or they could do what was done at the very start let the Champions the previous year select there fixture list 1st and then the team in 2nd so the higher up the league you finish one season means you more you can make a fixture list that would suit you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Liverpool have done this before v Fulham but they should beat West Brom easily anytime if they respected other clubs

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Or they could do what was done at the very start let the Champions the previous year select there fixture list 1st and then the team in 2nd so the higher up the league you finish one season means you more you can make a fixture list that would suit you. :D

What? When was this done?

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Liverpool have done this before v Fulham but they should beat West Brom easily anytime if they respected other clubs

Oh here we go Neil Warnock mark 2, they did that V Fulham as they had a Champions League final to play in. No final this year to play in so no point in resting players now is there.

Well maybe let Torres rest since Spain are taking to South Africa in the summer for the Confederations Cup.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »

When League football 1st started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

They should do what they do in Serie A. The final 6 games of the season all kick off at the same time on the same day. That way nobody has an advantage. Of course the prem is controlled by TV so Sky will never allow this to happen.

iregk wrote: »
    They should do what they do in Serie A. The final 6 games of the season all kick off at the same time on the same day. That way nobody has an advantage. Of course the prem is controlled by TV so Sky will never allow this to happen.
    And don't forget that the Italians are dodgy as fook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool will not go easy on WBA or Spurs if its all over after Utd/Arsenal 2nd place is not secure yet for one thing and Rafas own professional pride (not to mention that of most of the players) wouldn't allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool will not go easy on WBA or Spurs if its all over after Utd/Arsenal 2nd place is not secure yet for one thing and Rafas own professional pride (not to mention that of most of the players) wouldn't allow it.

but if Torres or Gerrard are not 100% they will not play if the league is over I would guess.

kida wrote: »
    but if Torres or Gerrard are not 100% they will not play if the league is over I would guess.
    Even without them I'd be very surprised if they don't beat West Brom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

5starpool wrote: »

When the league let Mr. Ferguson make the fixture list to stop him complaining?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Sky are greedy shocker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

BaZmO* wrote: »
    And don't forget that the Italians are dodgy as fook
    So's the premiership/sky cosy cartel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Highsider wrote: »
    Sky are greedy shocker

do you make one of those comments in every thread?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    OP how do you equate for a situation then if Liverpool had been out of the title race before this weekend and were safe in second? Surely now West Brom have an unfair advantage on their relegation rivals.

You could always make the league prize money based on points rather than position I guess...
    If that was the situation, there is very little that could be done, but at the moment, changing the fixtures could make the league fairer.

On the flip side, though the idea to have the man u game on at 1230 was probably made back in july last year, so it would be unfair to west brom to change it just because circumstances change.

I like the idea of the last 2 fixtures to be on at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It would be impossible to change match-times now... not jusy because of tele but because of the fans travelling from all over the world to see the United match.. be realistic

mike65 wrote: »
    Im not saying they would allow it, of any team around they would nt. But the anguish they would be in hours after losing the league unable to do any thing about it, even the strongest hearts would be weakened

It would be impossible to change match-times now... not jusy because of tele but because of the fans travelling from all over the world to see the United match.. be realistic
    Not now, but for next year the last few fixtures should be at the same time where possible.

They seem to move the monday night games when it suits them though. Thats a setanta thing rather than sky but i have noticed games to be postponed till monday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hmmm they will play to keep 2nd spot there is more money for finishing 2nd than 3rd and you also get a higher share of the Champions League money so yes Liverpool still have something to play for.

I'm not saying for certain that they will not go out and give it 100% but I just know that there are lots of players who will not give the same effort when they know they can't win the trophy/cup.

Its very naive to think all of them play to the same level when there is no title on the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Typical that this is only brought on the forum when Liverpools title hopes look dead and buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lol at people giving out about Sky.

there'd be no Torres, Mascherano, Ronaldo, Tevez, Essien, Carvalho, Arshavin and so forth in English football if it weren't for Sky and they money they added to the game.

Advertisement