Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need more contact space!

• 14-05-2009 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I use a SE K800i at the moment, does everything I need a phone to do, but I'm approaching the max limit of contacts, it only allows for 1,000 contact so I think I'll be needing a new phone as I definitely don't want to have the hassle of two.

Is there a similar phone to the K800i that allows for unlimited (or as much as a memory card will allow) storage of contacts does anyone know?

Would appreciate any feedback :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've the c905 and that's only 1000 as well so you'd probably have to go with a different brand. Could you not use the sim card and phone memory for storage. Might tide you over for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm on 850 so I've a bit of time yet, just want to be ready for when it'll eventually be full.

I really only need a phone for the following:

calls
    texts
    connect to net via laptop using data bundle
    camera is handy
    must have expandable contact storage options
    don't want a slider phone
    compatible with "myphoneexplorer"

I know the Nokia N95 and them have their contact list on a memory card so you can store thousands upon thousands as far as I know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

cormie wrote: »
    Hi,
    I use a SE K800i at the moment, does everything I need a phone to do, but I'm approaching the max limit of contacts, it only allows for 1,000 contact

:eek:<you need more than a 1000, Delete some of your relatives from your contacts:p

Well more than half are customers so I'm not the social genius it may suggest I am :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 misnomer

the sony ericsson w705 can store 2000 contacts in the phone memory, a good web site to use to check phone specs is www.gsmarena.com . Its a really nice phone as well has wi-fi and not too expensive no where near the cost of the n95

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 misnomer

soory missed part where you said did't want slider phone

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd prefer if the contact storage was only limited by the size of your memory card. I'd see myself having the same problem with 2,000 in time. I think the n95 can take an xd/sd card or something like that so has 8gb to store contact info, which is huge so could probably store millions :P

Surely SE have a similar feature on one of their phones? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Get a 2nd phone? Keep your current one for business and the new one for family & friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hey cormie

My N95 8gb seems to let me store as much contacts as my memory will allow

There is two different "memory" slots on the N95 8gb, 8gb of mass storage and about 135mb of phone storage.

I have 310 contacts, they are taking up 69kb of the phone storage. Contacts can be moved to the mass storage if needed.

So by calculations the N95 8gb should be able to store about 35 million contacts. If you need 70 million you should go for the N96 16gb :)

Probably will need 70 million so I think the 16gb is the one to go for, cheers :)

:P

That's exactly what I need though, obviously don't need anywhere near 8gb, I'm sure the 135mb would be fine if 310 fit into 69kb, that's over 600,000 contacts before it's full according to my calculations, which could be way off!

• Advertisement

So does anyone know if there are SE phones that can store contact data this way? :)

anyone? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i would hope you have your contacts backed up somewhere in case something drastic happens. I dont think its a good idea to have that many contacts stored on your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

The Sony Ericsson P1 looks like it can store over 2000+ contacts

Here

Read through it and you can read that there is 160MB available for user configurable data (email, calendar, images, contacts etc...)
    While scrolling through the paper I found this excerpt...

It can also sync 2000 contacts in a "reasonable amount of time"

But the SE P1 is a Smart phone and fairly large

OP look into the SE G900, it is looking like a hybrid between a dedicated smartphone and a normal mobile. And it also looks like it can store a similar amount of contacts. I had my eye on this phone last year, and it has a touchscreen.

Here

Again read through it and I read the same 2000 contacts in a reasonable amount of time excerpt.

It might also be an idea to send an email to Sony Ericsson themselves, and ask which one of their phones is capable of storing a large amount of contacts.

I've had to email them before with a technicial issue and they usually respond in a day or so.

Good luck

Thanks a lot for that :) Had a look at the G900, looks like it would be a good phone to have for me with push email and a 5mp camera too which would pretty much kill 2 birds with one stone as I don't have much in the way of a camera anyway.

Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere on the o2 site so couldn't get it with my gold upgrade as far as I know :(

Rang o2 there and nope, the G900 isn't available through them :(

What's the best way to get one myself so and since I have a gold upgrade, could I make the money back by buying a phone from o2, unlocking it and selling it, or even do a swap I wonder? Is the g900 just new or is it old/outdated?

Can you use any email address with push email or does it have to be a SE specific address?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

the g900 is pretty new - its sort of the current extension of the p1 family

http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=163426

one thing to note - i don't think the SE uiq phones will work with mpe

Sorry, haven't got a clue what UIQ and MPE is :o

That expansys link is pretty expensive, would this work for me: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sony-Ericsson-G900-Unlocked-3G-Phone-BROWN-2GBm2_W0QQitemZ220296822618QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCell_Phones?hash=item334ab6bf5a&_trksid=p4295.c0.m299&_trkparms=240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

or do US phones have different thingy mabobs to Ire/EU?

uiq is the operating system on the phone
    the current version is based on symbian - same as many nokia phones

mpe - myphoneexplorer :-)

• Advertisement

i just had a look - and i can see mpe now does support the p1 and the g900

Great :) I actually use MPE quite a lot so was hoping it would be compatible :)

So no bad points about it so far? It definitely looks like the G900 fits all my needs and preferences anyway, it's a non slider, unlimited contact space, replacement camera, push email and it can even make phone calls and send texts apparently :pac:

Can anyone tell me, can I use my pop 3 email accounts with push email, or do I have to set up a new email address @sonyericsson.com or something like that I wonder?

One last thing is will a phone off ebay from hong kong/the US work no problem here?

If all that gets the thumbs up, I think I'll go and get one :) Pity o2 don't offer it!

Just a thought seeing as you have a Gold up grade with 02...

There are serious rumors of the new iPhone out next July, so you could use your upgrade to get that at a decent price then sell it. There would be no shortage of offers...

You would probably get most or more of your G900 cost back.

One other thing, if you visit the expansys link mentioned in the previous post and select the phone colour red button, the price drops to €390 not too shabby a price if I may say so...

Good luck

Thanks for the tip, do you mean July 2009 or 2010 though? :)

It would be able to be unlocked and everything easy enough I guess? Maybe by then I'll have the platinum upgrade or whatever is next and could get it even cheaper :)

390 is still a lot dearer than the $250 or so on ebay. Just as long as it'll work no probs over here that's definitely the option for me I think!

Yep July 2009

If you are going down the eBay route, check this guy out

Based in the UK so no added VAT if bought, actually might be a good idea to check all eBay's European sites... .co.uk .fr .de .it .es etc etc. You might find a good deal

Good Luck

Thanks for the link! If that DOES include UK vat (I can't see it mentioned anywhere that it does?) then it should work out at about €170 altogether which is pretty good.

I could probably make that 170 back if I was to buy and sell another phone (or iphone;)) later on, and also selling my K800i perhaps!

Now I just hope that push email is able to push pop3 emails (such as my @vantasks and @eircom one) to me :)

EDIT: Just saw this :)
    Q: Does the price include taxes; will I have any additional taxes to pay?

A: All prices include UK VAT as mobile phones are despatched exclusively from our UK warehouse. European Union customers do not need to worry about any additional taxes and charges. Residents of countries outside the EU will have to check their own import tax liability as this differs country to country. We do our best to help you here, but we cannot 100% guarantee anything.

So hopefully they wont have a problem knocking the 15% off!

Advertisement