Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to dublin, best areas to rent??

Options
  • 14-05-2009 3:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hey everyone, im moving to dublin in 2 weeks. what would you say would be the best areas to rent in? im 21 and would be going out quite abit so id like somewhere not too far from town and that is safe to walk home at night. i can spent 600 a month,sharing.
    i read a few threads on boards.ie that said rathmines, ranelagh and rathgar were good. i was thinking of the centre of town, but people have been telling me that its pretty rough in the centre of town, any suggestion on good areas in the centre of dublin or should i just go for rathmines, ranelagh or rathgar?
    thxs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

They sound like a fairly safe bet, fairly good area and you could walk home from town if you spend your taxi money on food! I've only ever walked it once, but I wouldn't be pushed about walkin it on my own in the middle of the night.

Rathborne in Ashtown is a nice place, you'd deffinetly get a place well in your budget, its about a ten min drive from town but there's a bus (120) that goes right through it and it's a great bus, every ten mins. And if you walk out to the Navan road (not even 5 mins) there's about 5 busses that go to town (37, 38, 39a,b,c and 70. And Ashtown Train station is next door to it too. Nice area, worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

red_river wrote: »
    should i just go for rathmines, ranelagh or rathgar?

Are you a culchie?

If you are, moving to Rathmines or Ranelagh will be like moving home, these places are full of country folk.

There are loads of empty apartments and renting available all over Dublin, so if you want to get away from all that you could and probably should check out a few areas on the North Side of the City, don't be paying over the odds for a place, when a better place is available for cheaper elsewhere.

Someone mentioned Ashtown, it's nice, but I wouldn't choose to rent there, it's a bit isolated if you just fancy a few pints of an evening.

Have a look around Drumcondra, Donnycarney, Clontarf, Marino.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Miriam Crowley

I am moving to Dublin from Cork for the summer.....change of scenery....any tips on where to find low-cost nice apartments? where should i avoid?

I am moving to Dublin from Cork for the summer.....change of scenery....any tips on where to find low-cost nice apartments? where should i avoid?

More info needed I'm afraid.

Budget?

Sharing, or own place?

Where will you be working.

As I said above, if you want to live in a Culchie Paradise, move to Rathmines/Ranelagh.

Des wrote: »
    Have a look around Drumcondra, Donnycarney, Clontarf, Marino.
    I wouldn't be mad for Donnycarney though...Glasnevin or Drumcondra would be great, pleanty of pubs and 5 mins on the bus to town

• Advertisement

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be mad for Donnycarney though...

Depends on the part of Donnycarney :)

The part behind the Park, no, I wouldn't live there, but the part opposite the church, it's a real old school place, and really quiet and nice. (My mam grew up there)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Miriam Crowley

hey red river.... your new!!!! me too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm moving to Stoneybatter next week. Lovely part of town. Rent isn't too ridiculous either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

You lads seem to be well up on your stuff so I'm gonna hijack this a bit.

Herself has landed a contract at Guinness Storehouse for a few months so we are going to be staying in Dublin for the moment. I'm mad to head to Rathmines/Ranelagh as I like the areas, have been living in Marino for four years and its deadly dull. Problem is we can't fathom a convenient public transport route that goes towards Guinness Storehouse. Luas would bring her as far as Stephens Green but doesn't seem to be much heading west from there. Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

anywhere on the red luas line would suit ye perfectly. Rialto/Kilmainham or around Heuston Station

• Advertisement

ams wrote: »
    anywhere on the red luas line would suit ye perfectly. Rialto/Kilmainham or around Heuston Station

Cheers for that, but at the moment my preference is for Rathmines/Ranelagh. Went to see some places in Inchicore on Tuesday and while they were ok Inchicore itself seems to be more of a traffic jam then a village centre.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Portobello has much the same atmosphere as Rathmines and is within walking/cycling distance of Guinness. If you want somewhere a bit quieter you could try the western ends of Rathgar/Rathmines or Harold's Cross where you are closer to bus routes taking you to the Christchurch area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If you're dead set on living in Ranelagh then your girlfriend could cycle to work or just walk from Stephen's Green to the Storehouse (it's about 20 minutes).

Or take my earlier suggestion and look for a place in The Batter and she's about 10 minutes walk from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Inchicore would be perfect for the Guinness storehouse, rent is cheap, plenty of places, and it dosn't deserve the bad name it can get.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the liberties are great too

god i loved living there so much

nice atmosphere, cheap food. loads of pubs and within spitting distance of guiness

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

the liberties are great too

god i loved living there so much

nice atmosphere, cheap food. loads of pubs and within spitting distance of guiness

"The Liberties is great too" not "are".:pac:

Ye it depends though what part of The Liberties though, up around my part is grand nowadays since most of the scummers from St.Teresa's Gardens have been re-housed and along Cork St, but over around Meath St, Vicar St, Francis St, etc.. way does be dodgy when dark comes about.

Cheap food? Jaysis I've lived here 18 years and never known about any cheap food.:D Pubs, be careful on that one if you take pink fluffy bunny's suggestion and move to The Liberties, as alot of the pubs are "locals' pubs" and can be very unwelcoming.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Ye it depends though what part of The Liberties though, up around my part is grand nowadays since most of the scummers from St.Teresa's Gardens have been re-housed and along Cork St, but over around Meath St, Vicar St, Francis St, etc.. way does be dodgy when dark comes about.

Cheap food? Jaysis I've lived here 18 years and never known about any cheap food.:D Pubs, be careful on that one if you take pink fluffy bunny's suggestion and move to The Liberties, as alot of the pubs are "locals' pubs" and can be very unwelcoming.;)

Lived there for 3 years from 2000 to 2003 - on Gray St just off Meath St, grand spot, know what you are saying Gav ref the Pimlico Tavern though ref being a locals pub!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

Gav, me aul flower.

The next time you correct a person's grammar, please don't go on to use bleedin' text speak in the very next sentence. :rolleyes:
    Ye

it depends though what part of The Liberties though,
    Don't need the word "though" twice

Also, be warned when picking on someone, that you don't pick on the Moderator's Girlfriend :)

:pac:

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Lived there for 3 years from 2000 to 2003 - on Gray St just off Meath St, grand spot, know what you are saying Gav ref the Pimlico Tavern though ref being a locals pub!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

Yup that one be one of the pubs I'd be talking about, along with a couple on Meath St, Thomas St, Francis St, etc... On the note of the Pimlico Tavern it only re-opened there at the start of the year, had been closed for a few years previous. Have bouncers on the door anytime I pass it nowadays.
    Des wrote: »

Also, be warned when picking on someone, that you don't pick on the Moderator's Girlfriend :)

What ye gonna do 'bout it mofo!?;)

Poor pink fluffy bunny. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 red_river

hey, im viewing a place around camden/wexford street on tuesday. its near whelans. whats that area like, safe? txs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

I wouldn't be mad for Donnycarney though...Glasnevin or Drumcondra would be great, pleanty of pubs and 5 mins on the bus to town

There's been plenty of apartments built in Glasnevin over the last while. Lots of them mainly being used by students (maily DCU aswell)

On a night out it's a grand walk but would never do it on my own. Less than an hour from o'connell street.

Not sure on prices though (still at home myself:D) but a bit of googling would sort out that query.

And with no traffic it's more like 15 minutes into town. That's really being picky there oops :D:D

red_river wrote: »
    hey, im viewing a place around camden/wexford street on tuesday. its near whelans. whats that area like, safe? txs

It's a grand area, saying that would be very noisy if you're a road straight off Camden/Wexford St.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

tbh €600 will get you a room in a really nice house/apt anywhere in Dublin. I would go for Ranelagh. Loads of nice pubs/restaurants and close to town.

There's been plenty of apartments built in Glasnevin over the last while. Lots of them mainly being used by students (maily DCU aswell)

On a night out it's a grand walk but would never do it on my own. Less than an hour from o'connell street.

Not sure on prices though (still at home myself:D) but a bit of googling would sort out that query.

And with no traffic it's more like 15 minutes into town. That's really being picky there oops :D:D
    I went to school in Glasnevin (Vincents) and I used to walk into town every second wednesday in 4th year for a meeting thing I had and we got to Parnell St in almost 15 mins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

I went to school in Glasnevin (Vincents) and I used to walk into town every second wednesday in 4th year for a meeting thing I had and we got to Parnell St in almost 15 mins!

Well I'm more talking about the area up past the weather station.:P

Really nice area anyway.:D

Going looking at a place in Rialto tonight, any opinions on the area?

Perfect geographical location but don't know a whole pile about the area itself apart from the bad name it has/used to have.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Going looking at a place in Rialto tonight, any opinions on the area?

Perfect geographical location but don't know a whole pile about the area itself apart from the bad name it has/used to have.

It depends whereabouts tbh, down along the Luas tracks can get dodgy after dark but apart from that the area is usually fine. Whereabouts are you looking at the place?

It was actually in The Coombe in the end, got my addresses mixed up, Watkins Square to be precise, just off Cork St./Ardee Row. House was grand if a bit pokey but there didn't seem to be a whole pile happening in the area, 9pm on a Friday night.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    It was actually in The Coombe in the end, got my addresses mixed up, Watkins Square to be precise, just off Cork St./Ardee Row. House was grand if a bit pokey but there didn't seem to be a whole pile happening in the area, 9pm on a Friday night.

That's a good bit away from Rialto.:D Ye the area around there does be usually very quiet, in saying that if you do happen to move there you'll gradually see that there will be alot of guards in the area mainly because you have some of Dublins biggest gangsters who are involved with this whole Drimnagh - Crumlin gang feud and members of the INLA within a stones throw away from you.;) Don't let ye put you off though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i have friends pying sub 600 for a beautiful house sharing in donnybrook of shrewsbury.... you cant relly get a better area, 10 mins from town, beautiful area, beside dart, great pubs and lots of shops

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement