Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Router = Slow Speed!

Options
  • 14-05-2009 3:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys, wondering if you can advise on a problem I'm having?

After being on eircom BB for a while, my old router died and eircom eventually sent out a new one. It works, but the connection is so slow!
    It's a 1 Mb connection. Before, I was able to download files at 100+kbps, which I could live with, but now it stays at around 15 - 17 kbps.

On the router page it now shows Speed 160/128 (kbps).

On the DSL Stats page it shows:
    Line State - Up
    Modulation - DMT
    Data Path - Interleave
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 160 128
    SN Margin (dB) 25.10 22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 52.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 0 0
    The phone and the router are the only things plugged into the phone jack, and all splitters/filters are connected correctly.

This speed is hellish, and I dread the day I have to call eircom customer support again, so I'm hoping someone could offer any ideas? Please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

sarahchix wrote: »
    Hi guys, wondering if you can advise on a problem I'm having?

After being on eircom BB for a while, my old router died and eircom eventually sent out a new one. It works, but the connection is so slow!
    It's a 1 Mb connection. Before, I was able to download files at 100+kbps, which I could live with, but now it stays at around 15 - 17 kbps.

On the router page it now shows Speed 160/128 (kbps).

On the DSL Stats page it shows:
    Line State - Up
    Modulation - DMT
    Data Path - Interleave
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 160 128
    SN Margin (dB) 25.10 22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 52.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 0 0
    The phone and the router are the only things plugged into the phone jack, and all splitters/filters are connected correctly.

This speed is hellish, and I dread the day I have to call eircom customer support again, so I'm hoping someone could offer any ideas? Please?

That's pretty weird... 160 kbps is your current speed

Have you checked your sync rate with your previous router?

Try resetting it. Your line attenuation/snr is alright, you should be getting a higher sync rate.

I'd first remove the filter and the phone and connect the router straight into the main socket, try using another extension cable if you want, no filters and get the stats again...

It could be that the filter is faulty...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

I would guess there is a high chance that when you called them to get the new modem they set your speed to 160 to see if it was a line issue. Whoever you were talking to has probably not put this back to the 1 Mb. Give them a call and ask them to put it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sarahchix

I would guess there is a high chance that when you called them to get the new modem they set your speed to 160 to see if it was a line issue. Whoever you were talking to has probably not put this back to the 1 Mb. Give them a call and ask them to put it back.

Thanks so much for your help guys, turns out this was the case after all. Just got it sorted.

Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Glad it was such an easy fix! :D

Advertisement