Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

msc computer science

• 14-05-2009 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

currently doing my honors degree in IT carlow - computer systems mgt. Just wondering what the masters is like in waterford?

teachers, hours, course material, is it alot taught or is it really research etc etc

any info would help.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

I am about to finish a degree in computing in wit and i am going to apply to one of the MSC in Computing , at the moment i am looking at MSc in Communications Software the impression i got from the course leader is that you will need to have really good programming ability the technologies taught on the course are varied Java and JavaFX to mention just two its also connected to the TSSG research groups which is one of the most recognised computing research groups in ireland, the course is very technical which is reflected in the dissertations that students on the course have done but very good the MSc in information systems processing is also very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

ah sucks

if i wanted to be a programmer i would have done a programming course.

why do they do that.

thanks for the info though at least i know to stay clear!

If you don't want to do something technical then look at the MSc in Information Systems Processing equally as good only focuses on overall Information Systems etc
    I have provided a link to the honours degree booklet in computing it has a section where the MSC students talk about there dissertations if might be of some help

http://homepage.eircom.net/~iandowney/booklet2009.pdf

There is also the MSc in Multimedia and ELearning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭jos22

Wicked wrote: »
    currently doing my honors degree in IT carlow - computer systems mgt. Just wondering what the masters is like in waterford?

teachers, hours, course material, is it alot taught or is it really research etc etc

any info would help.

cheers

I would avoid the Wit masters and go do some certs.
    they will be more useful at the end of the day
    CompTia is good place to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

jos22 wrote: »
    I would avoid the Wit masters and go do some certs.
    they will be more useful at the end of the day
    CompTia is good place to start

thats interesting, why do you think they would be more beneficial?

Wicked

• Advertisement

i did the bsc hons in IT from wit and for the most part found that it pretty worthless degree. and their masters seem to pretty much the same carp as before. and to me seem to only benefit you if you want to do research or lecturing.

so I looked into the other options and found that the cert to be much more valueable.
    also quite a lot of companies will require you to have being comptia A certified in order to be consider for tech support job. proper tek now no the call center stuff.

also these certs are recognised globally and have the material in them have being put together by the top IT firms.

comptia seems to be the main starting pointing and have several certs on offer

http://www.comptia.org/

where you can start with A+ and then get certified in networking and security as well before moving on to the MS certs.

the comptia ones are the cheapst ones too with both A+ exams costing around 390 euro combined.

but it really depends on what area of IT you want to get into.

either way you will need to get some certs at some stage. but you could so the compita one over the summer , then the masters and do another certs then when you finished the masters.

certs can be done in college or self taught for the omptia save money and self teach. sites like this provide most of the information you will need to pass.
    http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/free-a-plus-videos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

jos22 wrote: »
    i did the bsc hons in IT from wit and for the most part found that it pretty worthless degree. and their masters seem to pretty much the same carp as before. and to me seem to only benefit you if you want to do research or lecturing.

so I looked into the other options and found that the cert to be much more valueable.
    also quite a lot of companies will require you to have being comptia A certified in order to be consider for tech support job. proper tek now no the call center stuff.

also these certs are recognised globally and have the material in them have being put together by the top IT firms.

comptia seems to be the main starting pointing and have several certs on offer

http://www.comptia.org/

where you can start with A+ and then get certified in networking and security as well before moving on to the MS certs.

the comptia ones are the cheapst ones too with both A+ exams costing around 390 euro combined.

but it really depends on what area of IT you want to get into.

either way you will need to get some certs at some stage. but you could so the compita one over the summer , then the masters and do another certs then when you finished the masters.

certs can be done in college or self taught for the omptia save money and self teach. sites like this provide most of the information you will need to pass.

Yeah, if you want to do tech support, borrrrrrring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

coadyj wrote: »
    constructive :P

coadyj wrote: »

have to disagree building and troubleshooting pc components and windows to
    be far more interesting than programming or databases.

but if you don't like tek support there other cert that comptia and others provided to a start into IT security , networking and web design and web development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I'm after applying to the M.Sc in Computing (E-Learning and Multimedia). Anybody do this or know anything about it?

Oh and are the computing courses in WIT subsidised by the HEA? There's a '*' beside the course on the fees page on the website indicating that there may be a fee reduction but it is not mentioned on the HEA website...
    Anyone know the story there?

• Advertisement

deisedolly wrote: »
    I'm after applying to the M.Sc in Computing (E-Learning and Multimedia). Anybody do this or know anything about it?

Oh and are the computing courses in WIT subsidised by the HEA? There's a '*' beside the course on the fees page on the website indicating that there may be a fee reduction but it is not mentioned on the HEA website...
    Anyone know the story there?

all the computing masters when I was at wit had grant support which covered different amounts of the fees. Not sure who provided the grants.
    there were options for reductions in fees through different methods too. such as partly funded by a sponsor. there are other methods too but not sure how they work.
    they went on about some options but I wasn't paying attention had no interest in doing one.

they may be boards around here which will have nfo on it.

still recommend you do some certs too tho. you will need to sooner or later.

*The MSc (taught) are subsidised, EU and Irish Student around €4000 , discounted further to €2000, international students €9000, however if the international student did their undergraduate degree in WIT charge Irish rates of €4000.

MSc in Multimedia and elearning also very good course all about learning and the application of technology, did some modules around HCI and Cognitive Science during my degree in WIT of course you will go into those areas in alot more details very interesting , also the lecturers have a varied background in both technology and education some with degrees in both

*Based on course fees charge in 2008/2009 might be changes in fees

Does anyone know any where in waterford those comptia course are offered maybe over the summer

cyberwit wrote: »
    Does anyone know any where in waterford those comptia course are offered maybe over the summer

you can do through fas e college your self at any time.(note this dose not cover exam fees) only study material.

WIT do them at different times of the year too cost around 750 euro.

again as far as I know exam fees not inc.

best way to do comptia is self study.
    that way all you need to do is pay the exam fee.
    compita a+ is 2 exams. which can be done at any time both the same day if you want provided you pass the first one.

see these links for the A+

fee online practice exams for all comptia certs, as well as MICROSOFT COMPTIA CISCO CIW LPI RED HAT IBM
    http://www.mcmcse.com/comptia/aplus/220601.shtml

you college library may also have book in material you will be required to know. make sure it has the material for the latest version.

since you coming from an IT degree.
    self study will be better and save you lot of cash too

there is at least one test centre in Waterford city.
    more nfo how to apply for the exam at you local test centre is on the Compita website

Advertisement