Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin - Finglas!?

Options
  • 14-05-2009 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Dia duibh

Im moving to Dublin the end of this month/ start of June and I was looking at southside apartments when I got offered a VERY nice apartment, for a very nice price on what looks like a modern estate. It is Melville Crescent Cityside, now id move in their in a flash but for the reputation Finglas has! Can anyone tell me about Melville Cresent it looks very spacious, open, development, near Ikea and the motorway. My only concern is the scangers! Have I got it all wrong and it is a wonderful place now?

Le meas,

Somhairle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Finglas North

old working class area, not much going on there. Finglas West/South had problems with joyriding and are closer to a large traveller halting site at Dunsink; I think Finglas North is ok but a bit desolate.

Personally I'd want to be closer to town/shops/nice pubs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ogmac

Thanks

Yeah, your right its too far out, it'd be my first time living in Dublin and I need to be nearer the action. I just needed someone to tell me that because i do like the place a lot :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

To be honest that part of Fingals is practicly Ballymun, not saying that in a bad way as I'm originaly from that area, but there's very few busses around that exact location. There's some places on the Finglas road, Premier Square is the only one I can think of and its lovely and has loads of bus routes just outside the gate, The 40, 40a b c and d are all great busses to get to town, very regular

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

There is a huge shopping centre, Charlestown is within walking distance from the Melville Apartments. Its like a totally new town up there now. A new very regular cross city bus service, 140. Its a fairly quiet part of Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

There is a huge shopping centre, Charlestown is within walking distance from the Melville Apartments. Its like a totally new town up there now. A new very regular cross city bus service, 140. Its a fairly quiet part of Finglas.
    I forgor about the 140, its still nowhere near as good as the 40's though? But the 19 is only round the corner too...I'd still go for Finglas Road or Glasnevin Road or whatever its called. I deliver food round there and that Melville place is still like a building site, not from Ikea, from the unfinished houses! Premier Square is one of the nicest apartments arund the area, another on the Finglas is Tolka Vale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The 40b/c don't exist any more.

Dublin Bus decided to remove them and stick in the "240" instead.

Stupid bus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Ha that's the first I've heard of a Finglas North.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ogmac wrote: »
    Dia duibh

Im moving to Dublin the end of this month/ start of June and I was looking at southside apartments when I got offered a VERY nice apartment, for a very nice price on what looks like a modern estate. It is Melville Crescent Cityside, now id move in their in a flash but for the reputation Finglas has! Can anyone tell me about Melville Cresent it looks very spacious, open, development, near Ikea and the motorway. My only concern is the scangers! Have I got it all wrong and it is a wonderful place now?

Le meas,

Somhairle

city side in general is pretty decent.

we're all middle class yuppies now finglas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Jay D wrote: »
    Ha that's the first I've heard of a Finglas North.

Fcuckin Glasnevin North they call it now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

its fine around there, young population and all the kids are still kids.

give it ten years when those kids are teenagers. then it'll be ghettoesque.

and i live in charelstown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Rics

Go for Southside fella! lol just kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I forgor about the 140, its still nowhere near as good as the 40's though?

The 140 is every 10 minutes - every 20 minutes off peak and it goes all the way across to Leeson Street. Can't get much better than that!!

There's a website http://www.neighbours.ie/cityside/ where you might find answers from people who live in the area - this post will probably collapse into a slagging off of Finglas and surrounding areas and yes it could end up a ghetto in 10 years but that can be said about far too many places - especially new estates - at least Cityside and the surrounding estates are completed so you won't be looking out onto development sites until the recession ends!!

As far as the area goes - I live in one of the neighbouring estates, have done for last 6-7 years, and it's fine. Charlestown Shopping Centre is handy - there's a Spar, chipper, chinese right beside Cityside and a put 'The Deputy Mayor' which does good pub-grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

datk wrote: »
    this post will probably collapse into a slagging off of Finglas and surrounding areas

[Mod Note]
    It better not

[/Mod Note]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I've lived around there for four years, it's grand, don't mind the people who don't know what they're talking about. 30 minutes on the bus into town, area's quiet enough and the shopping centre's handy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Táck wrote: »
    its fine around there, young population and all the kids are still kids.

give it ten years when those kids are teenagers. then it'll be ghettoesque.
    Comparatively few young people liev in the fingals area,as it was largely built in the late 1960's.
    The new parts have the highest population of kids and these are the areas aimed at people who consider themselves professionals etc.
    Density-wise its still infinitly preferable to adamstown,lucan,tyrllestown,ongar and clonee and has the advantage of being FAR nearer town and decent amenities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

i know, i live in charlestown

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

datk wrote: »
    The 140 is every 10 minutes - every 20 minutes off peak and it goes all the way across to Leeson Street. Can't get much better than that!!

The 83 bus route also passes Charlestown S.C and by 2069 the Ballymun and Northwood Metro North stops might be operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

19/19A buses a short walk aswell, but the 140 is the best bus service i've ever come across in this city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ibbie

I was living in that estate until a month ago (finished college- DCU really near) anyway its fine nobody bothers you spar 2mins away / Dunnes 5mins / bus stop right outside plus if you have a car everywhere is easily accessible due to M50 pheonix park / beech only about 15mins drive.
    Also squad cars do a round of the estate in the year i was living there no problems at all and felt really safe!

Advertisement