Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dont Knock the Nissan Micra

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€2.5k for a '96 micra?

€2.5k trade in for the Micra against a €10k '03 Honda Civic 1.4 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

I love my micra its a silver '00, and really easy to drive then again I don't really have anything to compare it to.
    Seems to be going better then my mother's Octavia that breaks down every month so she has to borrow the micra.haha.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Betsy is a great little machine alrite. I never rated them until now....!

Sure the French and Italians have more style but you will admire that style while the bonnet is open at the side of the M6 and your wallet is open to pay for running repairs....!

OT but I have got a mission on tonight. A good friend of my wife has a S**troen Xsara 02 that wont start and wont put the drivers window back up again. Last month it cost €1300 to NCT. Shocks springs bushes etc etc... What a ball of froggy scrap...

And she had the nerve to call Betsy a heap of dung last weekend :D

Looks like loads of folk are happy with their K10's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Biro wrote: »
    How can you possibly know unless you've owned them all for 20 years? There are plenty of ultra reliable cars out there in different classes. If nothing goes wrong with a car for 10 years, how can a Micra be more reliable than that? It can only match it. And in most other respects the Micra is average against it's competition, in some ways a little better, in others a little worse. The new shape Micra is not great for reliability at all.
    If you want reliability we've a 135 at home that gets plenty of abuse for well over 30 years and never misses a beat. It could drag a Micra around a quarry for probably 2 days straight without running out of fuel and still be fine, which would be more than you could say for the Micra after that ordeal!
    Having said all that, I don't like going on long journeys in the 135. Therefore I don't use it as my everyday car. Because there's a lot more to a car than reliability.
    Get over ye're selves with yer Micras, the lot of ye! We'll have a thread on the best place to get a blue rince next! :D

A 135? Is that a Massey?!

UH-6044-Massey-Ferguson-135-Tractor.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Betsy is a great little machine alrite. I never rated them until now....!

Sure the French and Italians have more style but you will admire that style while the bonnet is open at the side of the M6 and your wallet is open to pay for running repairs....!

OT but I have got a mission on tonight. A good friend of my wife has a S**troen Xsara 02 that wont start and wont put the drivers window back up again. Last month it cost €1300 to NCT. Shocks springs bushes etc etc... What a ball of froggy scrap...

And she had the nerve to call Betsy a heap of dung last weekend :D

Looks like loads of folk are happy with their K10's

Wife has a Bravo for years, 1.2 80bhp. Never misses a beat, more comfortable than Micras, proving itself to be just as reliable, infinately better looking, quicker, better handling. But some people like sh!tty designed cars that are "reliable".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

There's nothing wrong with Micras, it's just the people who drive them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Did a bit of work on a 94 Micra yesterday, real easy car to work on.

Thing even had power steering and A/C. Nippy little car to drive. I must

say i can see why some people like them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i had a micra for a week before it was robbed. apparently, according to the guards, they are a joyriders wetdream. extremely easy to break into, really nippy, bounce over speed ramps and do brilliant do-nuts

mine was the 20th micra to be stolen in two weeks.

i had a micra for a week before it was robbed. apparently, according to the guards, they are a joyriders wetdream. extremely easy to break into, really nippy, bounce over speed ramps and do brilliant do-nuts

mine was the 20th micra to be stolen in two weeks.

Cant do do-nuts in a FWD car. Guards were wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

But ya can in a Micra :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

K11 Reliable and cheap to tax and insurance. But nothing special on petrol. especially if you give it the boot. Great engine the 1L 16v. Feels numb when you first drive one, but actually handles a lot better than it looks when you get used to it. Big hatch opening gret for loads. But its just not a looker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I'd have no bother trading down to a Micra if things got tight and I needed something small and reliable. In fact, I'd choose it over nearly any other ten year old supermini you could mention. In 1993 a supermini having a 55 bhp DOHC 16 valve engine, side impact bars and a five speed gearbox was a pretty big deal. Great little cars. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

42mpg? I used to get that in my 197bph BMW 530d.

Id rather walk than drive a Micra.

42mpg? I used to get that in my 197bph BMW 530d.

Id rather walk than drive a Micra.

Came in handy to pay the tax and insurance. I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

It was many moons ago now but my first car was a micra, 2 words...

Bullet Proof.

That car took so much abuse and kept coming back for more. No idea what a 09 model would be like but mine was one tough mo fo... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Eh.......

Pretty much sums it up for me. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I drive it's bigger brother, the almera and I can tell you one thing.

Everything that this thread supposes is great about the Micra does not move over to the Almera:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Worshipping the K11 Micra, shopping car of the 90's, brilliant!

I just don't get the praise being heaped on a small, mundane applicance, just because it performs adequately and doesn't break down? It's like praising a TV because you can watch RTÉ One on it. The car does what it's supposed to, big deal!

Set your expectations higher, people! It's not particularly quick, or pleasant to drive, or handle very well, or protect you very well in case of an accident. It may have been the first car for a lot of people, and hold a special place in people's hearts, but you didn't marry the first person you snogged, (or did you?).

It doesn't share the robustness of the K10, or the style and ease of driving of the "Frog-Eye" K12. It's not as though anyone's driven one to Ulaan Bator or anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Ever been to an Autotest?

There you'll see FWD do "doughnuts". If you go to a Hewison Autotest (National Championshp), you'll see cars do things that you won't believe.

It's easy - put 40psi plus into the rear tyres, Drive at 20mph ish, pull the handbrake + turn the steering wheel + bury the throttle. Keep the power on and keep the handbrake locked. If you want to spare the rear tyres, put food trays under the rear tyres.

It's not the usual ar$e first type of a RWD, but with enough speed up, the car will turn in about it's width all day long.

• Advertisement

ianobrien wrote: »
    Ever been to an Autotest?

There you'll see FWD do "doughnuts". If you go to a Hewison Autotest (National Championshp), you'll see cars do things that you won't believe.

It's easy - put 40psi plus into the rear tyres, Drive at 20mph ish, pull the handbrake + turn the steering wheel + bury the throttle. Keep the power on and keep the handbrake locked. If you want to spare the rear tyres, put food trays under the rear tyres.

It's not the usual ar$e first type of a RWD, but with enough speed up, the car will turn in about it's width all day long.

Yep, seen it, but not really proper do-nuts!! The food tray trick is pure kak though, seen it so many times at cruises back in the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

dough·nut also do·nut (dō'nŭt', -nət)
    n.

1. A small ring-shaped cake made of rich, light dough that is fried in deep fat. Also called regionally olicook.
    2. Something whose form is reminiscent of a ring-shaped cake.
    3. A fast, tight 360° turn made in a motor vehicle or motorized boat.

So technically, any car can do a donut!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭k8bcly

i am considering buying a micra lite '98 as my 1st car and i have driven one but it sounds fairly rough starting up but sounds ok after that. it also wont go into 3rd gear and the clutch is kinda odd you have to press it nearly to the road to change gear. they are asking for 950euro. any thoughts or ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

buy something else. there are loads of Micras out there for small money. buy one that's been loved. and get one with power steering and a few creature comforts.

you should be able to get a low mileage 00 model within your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    buy something else. there are loads of Micras out there for small money. buy one that's been loved. and get one with power steering and a few creature comforts.

you should be able to get a low mileage 00 model within your budget.

Sound advice. It's a buyers market out there.

k8bcly wrote: »
    i am considering buying a micra lite '98 as my 1st car and i have driven one but it sounds fairly rough starting up but sounds ok after that. it also wont go into 3rd gear and the clutch is kinda odd you have to press it nearly to the road to change gear. they are asking for 950euro. any thoughts or ideas?

Run away and keep running. Its shagged. Drive about 4 cars before you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭k8bcly

BostonB wrote: »
    Run away and keep running. Its shagged. Drive about 4 cars before you decide.

ya i have been driving my family members cars and i like a mitsubishi but ders no way i could afford one of them. and i hav been looking everywhere i cant find anything because ive never driven a car without power steering and thats all i can get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

k8bcly wrote: »
    ya i have been driving my family members cars and i like a mitsubishi but ders no way i could afford one of them. and i hav been looking everywhere i cant find anything because ive never driven a car without power steering and thats all i can get!

Nothing wrong with micras but don't buy the first one you find. There has to be lots of decent cars for cheap money out there.

Advertisement