Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To share wireless from 1 house to another 250m apart

Options
  • 14-05-2009 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I have wirless in my home.
    And my brother who is about 250m away maybe a little less maybe a little more. We want to share wireless between one another.

At the moment he cant pick up any signal from my self.
    So what do we need to buy?
    Any one can link me the gear I would need ? or know of anything that would be powerful enough?

So far what we have are
    Wireless network + wireless cards in our computers.
    Just need something to send my signal over to his house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

That one looks good.

Just 3 more questions.
    Do i need to get 2 nanostations or can i get away with just the 1?
    And the internet will work over this?
    Will i need to have my computer on all the time for my brother to get onto the net?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

The nanostation 2 is overkill for that distance, the Loco2 or Picoststion 2 would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

Do i need to get 2 nanostations or can i get away with just the 1?
    Yes, one at either end. One set for APBridge and the other in Station/Client Mode.

And the internet will work over this?
    Yes.

Will i need to have my computer on all the time for my brother to get onto the net?
    No. Plug the Nano/Pico/LocoStation into your router.

Pico/Loco Stations are cheaper than the NanoStation but order from Wi-pipe today and you will have it tomorrow.(if you are in a hurry, that is!)

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Word of warning for those of you who don't like breaking rules/agreements

IceBroadband;
    6.1 When Customer’s use the Service for Internet access, they may not:
    6.1.1 resell or provide access to the Service or to any other Ice Broadband service to any third parties or parties not located on the same Premises...

I would expect other ISPs have similar agreements

• Advertisement

Thanks for all that guys.

Will check out Eircom T&C and see.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do you have line of sight ?

put the existing AP in the window and try a laptop at the other end, it just might work, if it does you could try a usb adaptor in the client window

does the existing AP have two external antennas

if so then you can cut a 2L coke bottle in half to make a semicircle, cover with thin foil and use it as a reflector to send the signal out the window , you can do the same with the usb key at the other end

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Thanks for all that guys.

Will check out Eircom T&C and see.

Good news or bad news depending on how yea read it:)
    Once you don't sell the service your OK, but I'm unsure about the whole "customer's own use"...if the bill is in my name, could my kid use it? Its not in their name, they aren't a direct customer :) The house 250m apart could be yours for all they know

7.10 The Facility is provided solely for the Customer’s own use and the Customer shall not resell the Facility (or any part of the Facility) to any third party.

Good luck anywho, broadband sharing is the way to go btw :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kerbdog wrote:
    7.10 The Facility is provided solely for the Customer’s own use and the Customer shall not resell the Facility (or any part of the Facility) to any third party.
    EU law means you can share bandwidth

and anyway he isn't selling it

Do yea have a link to the EU law? I'm sure it would be useful to many folks to know should an ISP get wind of someone sharing a connection

• Advertisement

My brother went and ordered 2 nano stations. And we think they will get to us tomorrow. So will keep u people updated on how we get on.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Here's the login to a demo one of them ( if you haven't found it already ) , be good to have a play around with it before you start.

http://demo.ubnt.com/

Don't worry about making a mess of settings on yours tomorrow , there is a little "RESET" button on them to put them back to factory settings if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Hey i have the same problem, let me know how you get on with it

thanks

cadete wrote: »
    Hey i have the same problem, let me know how you get on with it

thanks

All the above will work no problem at all really .

Is yours much the same setup ? Two houses near each other , one no hope of broadband ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

That might work , but you'd probably have dead spots and all the rest.
    I'd be much more in favour of doing it in the way above , it will work properly and be solid.

Got it yesterday. Had a quick play around with it. Anyways I think I have mine in my house set up fine. But not yet in my brothers.

Just want to know is that both nanostations should see one another ? And then I just have my brother connect to mine.

Might have to raise the height of them as they might need a good line of sight of one another. At the moment I just have them inside the house and was hopping that it would work that way.

Will do more testing over the weekend.

It will go through some stuff but way better to have them " seeing " each other.

You'll see the little lights on the back come on as the signal gets better.

This will only happen if the "SSID" s are the same in both.

If you want , leave off any security until you get it going for a few minutes , then you can change both sides in one go

( change the far end one first though , as the link will break until you have security on both sides )

Set your one to "AP" mode and the other to "Client"/ "station"

Change the IP address on one of them ( eg if its 192.168.100.10 change it to 192.168.100.11 )

You need to click "Apply " in the top corner or your changes wont do anything. < --- could be yer problem

( sorry for bitty post , been up late )

Thanks will try that tonight.

Well we got it working. Brother was on the internet for a while. Then somehow we lost connect and had some problems. Going to try tomorrow again in the day light.

Had to place both nanostations outside. We would like it if we could keep them inside the house but this prob wont work.

• Advertisement

It's not going to work inside unless they're looking out a window. What was the signal strength (in dbm)?

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Well we got it working. Brother was on the internet for a while. Then somehow we lost connect and had some problems. Going to try tomorrow again in the day light.

Had to place both nanostations outside. We would like it if we could keep them inside the house but this prob wont work.

Success ! Depending on what the roof is made of , they might work if they are in the attic ( not pointed directly at timber ) . Easy to test anyway , the little lights on the back of them will give you a guide.

When you do get them working and in their "final position " log in to them and check the Signal Strength.

Rough idea of the scale :

It goes from say -105 to 0 , -50 is "better " than -80

If its "too high" , say -30 log in and reduce the Tx ( transmit ) power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

bushy... wrote: »
    Success ! Depending on what the roof is made of , they might work if they are in the attic ( not pointed directly at timber ) . Easy to test anyway , the little lights on the back of them will give you a guide.

When you do get them working and in their "final position " log in to them and check the Signal Strength.

Rough idea of the scale :

It goes from say -105 to 0 , -70 is "better" than -50 .

If its "too high" , say -30 log in and reduce the Tx ( transmit ) power

Heh? a -70dBm is not better than a -50dBm

Both Nanostations should be placed outside with line of sight to each other for the best signal otherwise there'll be lost packets

Although a -50dbm signal is stronger than a -70dbm signal, bushy is right. It's better to have it good instead of too strong which my cause extra noise.So try getting the signal to -70.

Although a -50dbm signal is stronger than a -70dbm signal, bushy is right. It's better to have it good instead of too strong which my cause extra noise.So try getting the signal to -70.

Rubbish, set it to G mode only and horizontal (as most domestic wifi routers are vertical). Also do a scan on the one in station mode to see what channels are in use nearby and pick something away from whats already in use. I install 20-30 of these a month.

There are other settings to optimise things I could tell You, but these are trade secrets ;)

Fixed up sleepy post above .

+1 for Horizontal since a mot more stuff is vertical etc etc

Not sure what is causing my problem.
    But one problem i have is when i set my Station to Access Point. after a few mins is goes back to station. I do the change + apply option but still a few mins later its back on station. So me and my brother are both on station. Im sure it happens on my brothers also... any idea what is causing this?

Going to have a look at the Fourms over at nanostation

You need to click change, then click apply at the top of page to make it stick. Might be easiest to set both in Station WDS and Access point WDS and set both as bridges. Not a good idea to leave the two on 192.168.1.20, change one to 21

You should upgrade the firmware to the latest version too(3.4 was just released but is buggy so use 3.3.2 instead for now).
    http://www.ubnt.com/support/airos.php

• Advertisement

Have done change then apply but no good. Goes back after a few mins.

Yes we also change the ip of one of the stations. But will check to make sure this does not get reset to default.

Will do the upgrade as i think mine is well old (and is prob what is causing the problems). Was thinking of doing this but have not got around to it.

Prob is i dont have much time to mess around with the system as im always busy. But this weekend i plan on setting a few hours aside and getting it sorted.

Thanks all for the help so far.

Advertisement