Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To share wireless from 1 house to another 250m apart

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Upgrade or "downgrade" should sort it out , i've used a good few of them with no problems , Pogmothoin said he installs a load every month so should be no worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I always flash to v3.3.2, its only now I've spotted there's a v3.4, not tried myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

They look really good. What sort of range are they are maximim with clear line of sight? How do tree branches etc effect range/packet loss etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Ubiquiti say the range is 15km(base station dependant) which would be with a full LOS too.If there are too many thick leaves then that would weaken the signal and could cause packet loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Thats really good for a moderately priced unit like that ....... but it seems a bit overkill for a 250 meter link :pac:

I used 2 buffalo high power routers to do a 100meter link with no issues, external antenna would bring that to 250m no worries .... but surprisingly that would probably end up more expensive than these jobbies :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BigEejit wrote: »
    Thats really good for a moderately priced unit like that ....... but it seems a bit overkill for a 250 meter link :pac:

I used 2 buffalo high power routers to do a 100meter link with no issues, external antenna would bring that to 250m no worries .... but surprisingly that would probably end up more expensive than these jobbies :rolleyes:

If you use directional things like the lads above , you don't need "high power" at all. It will go for many many miles on the tiniest bit.

Did you get everything working properly BadCharlie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Hi

Ya got it all working good about 2 days ago.

Then yesterday we got it working better. We need to stick at least one of the nanostations outside and my brother has his in his attic. With this set up we have almost all bars. He will move his outside maybe the weekend im not sure....

The only thing is that my internet drops every so often. Im sure its his wireless modem on his end that is causing it. It be fine for 15min then the net will go down for about 1min. Will do more testing over the weekend again :P to stop us from dropping every so often.

To set up the nanostations we used the UBNT.com web site. Lots of good info on that site. If we did not go to that site we prob would not have set it up correctly.

Thanks all for your help.
    Steve

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Will do more testing over the weekend again :P to stop us from dropping every so often.

"Sorry hun , can't paint the walls today , this is a very sensitive technology ya know and needs careful setting up" :P

Check to see if it has a "watchdog" - it might be set to watch an unreachable address.

Easy way to know is log in to it just after it comes back up and check the "uptime"

When the connection drops are you sure the Nanostations are still connected?
    Check the signal and try pinging your brother's Nanostation to rule out the problem being there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

at the remote building, can you plug the nanostation into a switch and feed multiple PCs getting DHCP addresses from your BB modem?

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

It looks like its the modem/rooter on his side all right. We just upluged it from that and its fine. No more time outs ect...

BadCharlie wrote: »
    It looks like its the modem/rooter on his side all right. We just upluged it from that and its fine. No more time outs ect...

All good after all the work ? happy days.

humaxf1 wrote: »
    at the remote building, can you plug the nanostation into a switch and feed multiple PCs getting DHCP addresses from your BB modem?

cheers.

You could , or there is a DHCP server built into the little yokes themselves

There are others similar sort of devices out there if you a slightly different job in mind / need more speed etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

bushy... wrote: »
    You could , or there is a DHCP server built into the little yokes themselves

So the remote "Nanostation B" kinda acts as router (wrt54G for eg) of sorts taking in bandwidth from your BB modem via "Nanostation A" and then redistrubutes on a different IP scheme (if you want).

Most videos on youtube are in czech language (I think). Would be nice if they had an english dude explaining about them.

They are very easy to setup ( not really much more difficult than a "normal household router")

The live demo. site seems down at the moment , i'll post up a link when I find another

The Nanos are routers themselves if needed or you can just use bridge mode.They have a POE connection so they are powered over ethernet.

No, since it is a router itself but since there is only cable you'll need a hub or switch to connect multiple computers.

Advertisement