Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greens and An Taisce one of the same !

Options
  • 14-05-2009 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

With the chairman of An Taisce praising the Greens in Government and many members of the green party been members of An Taisce De- Burca and Cuffe openly admit to this how can they deny they are not one of the same.

Extract from the Chairman of An Taisce ( Mr Smith ) speech at their recent 60th anniversary

"The Green Party Ministers, John Gormley as Minister of Environment, Heritage and Local Government and Eamon Ryan as Minister of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources are leading a genuine push with their colleagues for more interaction between Government and Environmental NGOs".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

It is simply a conflict of interest and gives An Taisce 2 seats at the cabinet table 3 if you count the unelected cabinet member Dan Boyle !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Darsad wrote: »
    3 if you count the unelected cabinet member Dan Boyle !

:confused::confused:

This isn't your first rant of a thread against the greens (No you're not allowed to pull down the greens election posters, and yes we can afford the green agenda) - I think you have unresolved issues from your childhood, perhaps your local candidate forced you to read a leaflet, or worse still - called to your door.:eek:

Cliste wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

This isn't your first rant of a thread against the greens

Absolutely and not my last , unfortunately I was out when they called to my door as I was really looking forward to a good debate ! Roll on a general election lets see how many D4 comfort votes Gormley gets next time out ! now that there are plenty unemployed in his constituency too !

Absolutely and not my last , unfortunately I was out when they called to my door as I was really looking forward to a good debate ! Roll on a general election lets see how many D4 comfort votes Gormley gets next time out ! now that there are plenty unemployed in his constituency too !

I'm not sure if you got the fact that these :confused: were aimed at the whole Dan Boyle cabinet member thing - I don't know where you got that from.

Moving on - could you also explain how the Green party could possibly have vested interests by being part of an organisation which promotes protection of the environment. Surely it's a good thing that these Green Party candidates are actually showing an interest in the environment - ie practising what they preach..

Why do you pick the green party out as the worst of the parties? (ie worthy of your continued scorn in multiple threads) The kind of vested interests that are to be seen in some of the other parties are so very much worse that they shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Well, the Green Party annoys me because I believed their promises about transport, and more lately for John Gormley touting Bertie for Mayor of Dublin. Apart from that I like my local Green party reps, but the head honchos leading the party, I don't really have time for anymore

IIMII wrote: »
    Well, the Green Party annoys me because I believed their promises about transport, and more lately for John Gormley touting Bertie for Mayor of Dublin. Apart from that I like my local Green party reps, but the head honchos leading the party, I don't really have time for anymore

Herald: Exact wording was "I’m sure the former Taoiseach is qualified as are other individuals from other parties who would put their names forward." - touting?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

An overlap between membership of the Green Party and An Taisce is not surprising.

It does not bother me as much as an overlap between a political party and a terrorist orgnisation would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

An overlap between membership of the Green Party and An Taisce is not surprising.

It does not bother me as much as an overlap between a political party and a terrorist orgnisation would.

But they're all evil eco-fascists!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

This post has been deleted.

+1

I fully support An Taisce. It is a truly excellent organisation. If it wasn't for An Taisce, the environment would be in a very sorry state, with ruthless developers in complete control. However, I think the Greens have fallen short of what they promised.

• Advertisement

The Raven. wrote: »
    However, I think the Greens have fallen short of what they promised.

I don't know - I'm not sure if you're balancing that with the fact that there is only 6 of them, and it's not as if we can throw money at everything like we used to. I think that they've achieved far more then they would have outside the government, and at least they are forcing things in the right direction...

. I think that they've achieved far more then they would have outside the government, and at least they are forcing things in the right direction...

Rubbish for example what about their proclaimed 50 steps to a better education they are failing the youth of this country miserably every day and didnt even achieve step 1 !
    They talk of thousands of green jobs but cant be specific , I would have some respect for them if they concentrated on the helping to maintain the jobs people are loosing on a daily basis. Creating 1,2 or 3 thousand so called green jobs while the country hemorages 1, 2 or 3 hundred thousand jobs is no achievement . Green directives and initives will come from Europe and there is no need for a green party marginalising Ireland the sooner they disappear the better for all and the sooner this country can start with proper economic stimilus and recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Rubbish for example what about their proclaimed 50 steps to a better education they are failing the youth of this country miserably every day and didnt even achieve step 1 !
    They talk of thousands of green jobs but cant be specific , I would have some respect for them if they concentrated on the helping to maintain the jobs people are loosing on a daily basis. Creating 1,2 or 3 thousand so called green jobs while the country hemorages 1, 2 or 3 hundred thousand jobs is no achievement . Green directives and initives will come from Europe and there is no need for a green party marginalising Ireland the sooner they disappear the better for all and the sooner this country can start with proper economic stimilus and recovery.

In other words, you'd be OK with them if they only stopped doing silly environmental things and concentrated on everything else...

amused,
    Scofflaw

It would be nice if you actually acknowledged some of my earlier questions before continuing the mud flinging.

As to how they can be held accountable for a department that isn't theirs is beyond me, the green directives that have not been implemented up to now have cost Ireland millions - I'm sure that that helped the economyYay - Fines

As to how they can be held accountable for a department that isn't theirs is beyond me,

It may not be their brief but they standby and allow this government to set the education of this countrys youth back 20 years with swinging cut backs ,this government should be investing in education not removing funding from such an important area which quite clearly is at variance with the green manifesto and promises . If they had any morals they would have walked long ago but then that would be the end of them.

This is not mud flinging its fact

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It may not be their brief but they standby and allow this government to set the education of this countrys youth back 20 years with swinging cut backs ,this government should be investing in education not removing funding from such an important area which quite clearly is at variance with the green manifesto and promises . If they had any morals they would have walked long ago but then that would be the end of them.

"Swinging cutbacks"?

Your idea of a factual claim differs from mine. There is not one item of data furnished or cited.

Oh sorry I must have misunderstood the reception given to Batt Okeeffe by all the teachers if I was wearing my green tinted shades it would have appeared as if they were really just having a bit of banter with him !! Please

Continually picking and choosing what questions you deal with may make you a good politician - but it really leaves me Banging my head against the wall.

Give me something solid to argue against - bearing in mind that these cutbacks have affected all the public service (take home pay down 10%). You also seem to have noticed that there's a recession - have you taken that into account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

It is simply a conflict of interest and gives An Taisce 2 seats at the cabinet table 3 if you count the unelected cabinet member Dan Boyle !

You forgot they have a junior minister that you could also rant about. That could be 25% more ranting on your behalf, if you'd bothered to do some research on the topic in hand.

You forgot they have a junior minister that you could also rant about. That could be 25% more ranting on your behalf, if you'd bothered to do some research on the topic in hand.

AS i am sure you know Trevor sargent is a junior minister and has no seat at the cabinet table ! Dan Boyle is is the mouth piece for the Greens who has no public mandate but has plenty to say about cabinet decisions ! EG When he tried to defend the greens decision at the cabinet table to vote for the removal of the medical card without knowing the income threshold and made a fool of himself in the process not that it was too difficult for him to do that !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement