Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Likes & Dislikes - windows.

• 14-05-2009 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi guys,
    This thread mainly focuse on the likes & dislikes about windows operating systems
    most people using Windows operating system, so shuldn't have n e trble, this is just a survey so any opinion would appreciated :
    Windows Xp
    Windows Vista
    Windows Sev7
    please refrain from using abusive words, as the comment posted here will be used to analyse the impact of windows in the current market scenerio.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mobile01 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    This thread mainly focuse on the likes & dislikes about windows operating systems
    most people using Windows operating system, so shuldn't have n e trble, this is just a survey so any opinion would appreciated :
    Windows Xp
    Windows Vista
    Windows Sev7
    please refrain from using abusive words, as the comment posted here will be used to analyse the impact of windows in the current market scenerio.

Thanks in advance.
    You're doing market research into the impact of windows ?

I didn't hear the word please, nor do I see what you are contributing.

I'm just so tempted to lock this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mobile01

You're doing market research into the impact of windows ?

I didn't hear the word please, nor do I see what you are contributing.

I'm just so tempted to lock this one.

well i know where u coming from but this is only for my college assignment not a publishing stuff... i guess its clear for u know.thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Here's one things that always annoyed me: the shortcuts in the left panel (My Computer, My documents, etc) aren't customisable. I use three or four folders consistently and would LOVE to have them as shortcuts there.

Simple things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

banquo wrote: »
    I use three or four folders consistently and would LOVE to have them as shortcuts there.

Stick them on your quick launch bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

With Windows, you have to ask yourself one question: What are the better alternatives? The answer (in my own opinion), is that there are no better alternatives.

Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mobile01

thnks guys..for your opinions... but i would appreciate more ppl having a look reply to thread... it would be gr8....

thanks in advance....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In fairness you've had two weeks and have had two opinions.

The only reason I didn't close this earlier was because I wasn't sure it was commercial market research.

Please use google to check out how many companies are installing XP on machines bought with Vista licenses. Factor in that professional IT people know a bit more about security and usability and have to support it and have to bare the costs associated with reinstall and configuration and you'll have an idea of how successful Vista has been in areas where people can change it at a cost.

I'm sure there are other surveys like this on line (again google) and you could do a survey of surveys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I find windows perfect in every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

The question is too general. Are you talking about Windows for the home user or in a corporate/business setting?

I don't use Windows at home anymore, I use Ubuntu Linux. What I disliked about Windows?

1. Paying for a license.
    2. Having to run anti-virus software
    3. Constant paranoia about security
    4. UAC - Vista
    5. Painfully slow startup and shutdown
    6. Windows suddenly deciding that it's going to shut down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭-osborne-

booting the computer OMG!i turn on the computer,leave the room watch a tv program come back and its still not loaded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

-osborne- wrote: »
    booting the computer OMG!i turn on the computer,leave the room watch a tv program come back and its still not loaded
    tbh, thats yer own fault I'd say rather than windows itself.

Well I hate the way both recent releases have produced an interface overhaul. From 95 to XP the changes were very little, hey XP is (visually) simply 2000 with a skinning system added to it. As long as XP does what I want it to do I don't see any need to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭-osborne-

kaimera wrote: »
    tbh, thats yer own fault I'd say rather than windows itself.
    its not litterly that slow but i've 4gb of ram so i would expect it to be faster

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

1. Paying for a license.

Ditto.
    2. Having to run anti-virus software
    3. Constant paranoia about security

I never worry about security on windows. I have regularly gone months without an anti virus or anti spyware program and not gotten any viruses/malware. Common sense is the key.

4. UAC - Vista

Agreed. Luckily it can be turned off. Thankfully uac isn't that big a pain in windows 7.
    5. Painfully slow startup and shutdown
    6. Windows suddenly deciding that it's going to shut down

Never had a problem with either of those. Had slow startups when running xp on a pretty under powered machine but that's to be expected.

Windows is fantastic. When I was studying Computer Science I had to grind my teeth together each time a student/lecturer made a critical remark about Microsoft. Like, if they don't like them, then don't friggin use their products. Microsoft have revolutionised the home computer business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Gavin Cotter

Ditto.
    I never worry about security on windows. I have regularly gone months without an anti virus or anti spyware program and not gotten any viruses/malware. Common sense is the key.
    Just reading this thread and had to comment.Are you being serious or sarcastic?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just reading this thread and had to comment.Are you being serious or sarcastic?

100% serious. There is a lot of malware made for windows but as long as you apply some common sense you'll be fine.

I haven't had any anti-virus software on my PC for a few years now and have only had one spy-ware program (which I removed successfully). The key really is just what AlmightyCushion said: common sense. If you know how the spyware/viruses work, then it's simple to contain and remove them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Just make sure you're not on dodgy sites or downloading from dodgy sources and you'll be fine.

Kevster wrote: »
    I haven't had any anti-virus software on my PC for a few years now and have only had one spy-ware program (which I removed successfully). The key really is just what AlmightyCushion said: common sense. If you know how the spyware/viruses work, then it's simple to contain and remove them.

Exactly but if you have common sense you won't have to remove them at all. One recent example I can think of. My sister recieved a message on bebo from someone she hasn't seen in years. The message was something like "funny video of you" and then linked to some russian site. She should have asked herself a) why this person would have a video of her (remember they haven't seen each other in years) and b) why she'd upload it to some russian site instead of youtube. Anyways she went to the site, installed some codec it asked her to install and fúcked up her pc (I don't know if the anti virus software alerted her or not). If she had just thought about it for a second or two she would have realised there was something a bit off about it.

• Advertisement

Interesting outlook you have.Common sense would have prevented your sister in contemplating even downloading that codec,thats true.Couldn't agree with you more there. But don't you feel that, having an av running, would aid in alerting you to malicous software running on your computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Viruses are one of the main reasons I use linux for email/browsing/downloading. Cuts out a lot of the threats. Then I use Windows for gaming only.

Interesting outlook you have.Common sense would have prevented your sister in contemplating even downloading that codec,thats true.Couldn't agree with you more there. But don't you feel that, having an av running, would aid in alerting you to malicous software running on your computer.

Oh definitely. I generally do use an anti-virus software. The months I've gone with out one is usually after installing windows and I just haven't gotten around to installing an anti virus software on it

So you do run an av on windows. And you do worry about security on windows.You've changed your mind so?

So you do run an av on windows.

I never said I never use security software just that I've regularly gone months without any.
    And you do worry about security on windows.You've changed your mind so?

I wouldn't neccessarily say having security software installed is worrying about security. If it was something I was worried about, installing security software would be the first thing I install on a new system, it's usually the bottom or close to bottom of the list of things to install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

As above I don't use much AV on my windows installs. Either because of virtualisation, firewalls and common sense I don't feel I need it. I have AV installed but that's only to scan removable media.

What do I not like about windows? Well the fact everything works on it, it requires minimal work to get going in the first place and little maintanence.

Dislikes? Paying for it obviously, Lack of customisation and..thats really it I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Things i like about windows: it's polished look & feel, i really like the look of 7. It's a solid OS, security is only a worry if you're a bit stoopid when being online (i've had my own computer (2 laptops) for nearly 2 years that only I was using, running vista and now windows 7, i have an anti-spyware program running but i rarely run it (it does run in the background all right though) and i've never had any spyware/viruses on the laptops. Common sense ftw.

Also, windows just works with everything, you don't need to worry about work arounds for your mp3 player or a certain piece of hardware etc.

Things i don't like about windows: the cost. And the fact that although it has a nice look and feel, there's no customisation or big differences available like the different flavours of Linux that are out there...

Oh definitely. I generally do use an anti-virus software. The months I've gone with out one is usually after installing windows and I just haven't gotten around to installing an anti virus software on it
    I never said I never use security software just that I've regularly gone months without any.
    I wouldn't neccessarily say having security software installed is worrying about security. If it was something I was worried about, installing security software would be the first thing I install on a new system, it's usually the bottom or close to bottom of the list of things to install.

Ok i think I grasp what your saying.When you install a new operating system, you don't worry about security.It's right at the bottum of your list of things to install.You've regularly gone months without using any, as you've not gotten around to it.You don't worry about it because, if you did, you would install it straight away, and not months later.

I've a few questions if you don't mind. How do you know you didn't get any malware or virus in those months you've went without them?
    And when you install an anti virus months down the line, do you feel any safer?

What I like and dislike about windows.

It simple to use and is the best operating system out there for the average user.

Exactly but if you have common sense you won't have to remove them at all. One recent example I can think of. My sister recieved a message on bebo from someone she hasn't seen in years. The message was something like "funny video of you" and then linked to some russian site. She should have asked herself a) why this person would have a video of her (remember they haven't seen each other in years) and b) why she'd upload it to some russian site instead of youtube. Anyways she went to the site, installed some codec it asked her to install and fúcked up her pc (I don't know if the anti virus software alerted her or not). If she had just thought about it for a second or two she would have realised there was something a bit off about it.
    Your sister in this incident had no common sense (with regard to computers and the Internet). I have been using computers my entire life and don't need AV software. I am well attuned to the methods used by spyware, hackers (used to be one myself), etc. If I received such a message on my bebo page (http://www.bebo.com/kevsteropilopidous_1), then I would have right-clicked on the link to see where it directs to before clicking on it. I would also have hovered the mouse over the entire message to see if it was merely an image that linked to a dodgy site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I don't use any antivirus software.

What I like about windows(7):
    It feels better to use than most alternatives
    aeropeek
    default keyboard shortscuts (I can use them all any windows pc, whereas if I customized them then they obviously would not work on another pc)

What I dislike:
    Only one desktop

Advertisement