Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Likes & Dislikes - windows.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

dulpit wrote: »
    Also, windows just works with everything, you don't need to worry about work arounds for your mp3 player or a certain piece of hardware etc.

It doesn't though. Usually you have to download drivers from the manufacturers websites.

For example, I bought a Samsung digital camera. It came with a CD for Windows. I just plugged it into my Linux system and it worked straight away, no CD needed. Same for my Philips MP3 player, which also came with a Windows CD which I didn't need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Most cameras will work fine in windows too.
    It will recognise the built in storage etc..the cd is just the software bloat.

What I really want from Windows is instantaneous bootup times.
    These quotes of 20secs boot up are a pile of crap.
    I've SSDs in all my pc's and none of them boot within 20 secs..more like 40-50secs.

I want to be able to switch on my pc and voila it's on.
    Why can't MS set up the boot so as to boot the minimal OS services required and set all the rest for delayed startup once on the desktop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've SSDs in all my pc's and none of them boot within 20 secs..more like 40-50secs.

Why can't MS set up the boot so as to boot the minimal OS services required and set all the rest for delayed startup once on the desktop?

It sounds like you might have a lot of start up programs... If you clear out the unnecessary ones startup can be quick enough...

dulpit wrote: »
    It sounds like you might have a lot of start up programs... If you clear out the unnecessary ones startup can be quick enough...

I've a few ;) but hell I still want it faster..most of the crap I've turned off like Nero and all the other bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Mine boots in around 20 seconds:cool:

• Advertisement

Mine boots in around 20 seconds:cool:

yep..it can be done with a lot of tweaking /turning of services /setting them to delayed etc...but I want MS to do this out of the box..no screwing around .

I've a few ;) but hell I still want it faster..most of the crap I've turned off like Nero and all the other bull.

Maybe hibernate instead of shutting down? However I'd still recommend doing a full reboot now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

FruitLover wrote: »
    Stick them on your quick launch bar.

Get rocketdock. www.rocketdock.com

Karsini wrote: »
    Maybe hibernate instead of shutting down? However I'd still recommend doing a full reboot now and again.

would cost you a fortune in esb :)
    system is running quad-core and a 4870X2..

Hibernation doesn't use any additional power. It dumps the contents of the RAM to disk and powers off the machine, so the power consumption would be the same as if you shut it down. You can even pull the plug if you like. Suspend/standby/sleep does use power, maybe that's what you assumed I was referring to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement