Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinlan on Rugby forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

This should be in helpdesk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

Can somebody respond to this whenever they get a chance.

I believe there is another complaint about his moderator only today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Did you PM the mod in question and ask them about it, and what did they tell you?

To be honest, you can still have a train wreck of a thread containing good posts. A few good posts isn't the be all and end all of thread quality.

I'm no sports fan, but there is an unfortunate tendency for people on sports forums to shoot their mouth and pressing send a little too quickly online (and not just boards.ie) that turns them into absolute cess-pits in terms of moderation. What one person feels is a stupid thread close is another's welcome relief and it's a pretty impossible to make everyone happy.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Did you PM the mod in question and ask them about it, and what did they tell you?

To be honest, you can still have a train wreck of a thread containing good posts. A few good posts isn't the be all and end all of thread quality.

I'm no sports fan, but there is an unfortunate tendency for people on sports forums to shoot their mouth and pressing send a little too quickly online (and not just boards.ie) that turns them into absolute cess-pits in terms of moderation. What one person feels is a stupid thread close is another's welcome relief and it's a pretty impossible to make everyone happy.

Wtf? There is no obligation for anybody to read every thread. My guess here is that the mod would prefer not to trawl through posts on a potentially emotive issue and decided, **** it, I'll close it rather than bother my arse moderating it.

I included A QUOTE from the mod in my original post in relation to the subject. I also PM'ed but got no reply. That is 6 quality posts in the last 2 pages. I challenge you to find any thread with consistently on-topic, substantial posts over every single page.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

My guess here is that the mod would prefer not to trawl through posts on a potentially emotive issue and decided, **** it, I'll close it rather than bother my arse moderating it.

Actually, part of the moderator role is to ensure the smooth running of a forum. Part of this is pre-empting trouble. Considering previous threads on this subject had descended into chaos, I don't see that the outcome of this one was in any way likely to be different.

Also see my point above about being unable to make everyone happy. This is one of those cases. It's not ideal that you are on the "unhappy" side, but unfortunately that is how it sometimes falls.

I can see why the mod locked the thread, and unless they feel the need to unlock it, I'm not going to override their desicion.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous nonsense. Boards is meant to promote discussion, not snuff it out at the first signs of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd say it's there to facilitate it rather than merely promote it and it's the duty of the moderator to think about a longer period than the next two days and not sacrifice the forum in the long run for one thread.

But you've dug in your heels on this one so with all due respect I'd be wasting my time in developing that thought. I agree with BuffyBot.

Equally, it's a waste of time trying to talk sense to anybody on here. A good debate is a good debate, when it goes up in flames end it but it might not and probably won't. In the meantime depriving your users of legitimate and informed discussion on a pretext is quite stupid.

Advertisement