Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty 7 already in the works

Options
  • 14-05-2009 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Unsurprisingly, the 7th installment is being developed and as you'd expect, it's Treyarch's turn again. From Gamespot
    Gamespot wrote:
    'Call of Duty 7' already 'in production'
    By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
    Posted May 13, 2009 4:59 pm PT

Treyarch animator's resume lists development of reportedly Cold War-set game as being "currently" underway; 2010 release date expected.
    Last week, rumors surfaced that Activision was working on "Call of Duty 7," the next chapter in the wildly popular first-person shooter series. It stemmed from a report on That Videogame Blog which said that the publisher was looking for "Vietnam War-era tunes, as well as Cuban, African, and Soviet Union music."

Besides hinting that the game might be set in some of the many guerrilla-conflict hotspots of the Cold War, the now-pulled report also indicated that Treyarch was once again developing. The report made sense, given the annual alternation of Infinity Ward and Treyarch's Call of Duty projects--and the fact the game formerly known as Call of Duty 6 is now the Call of Duty-less spin-off Modern Warfare 2.

Now comes further proof that Treyarch is already hard at work on a new entry in the series. According to the Linkedin resume of an animator at the shop (name withheld), "Call Of Duty 7" is listed as "currently in production." Activision reps had not responded to requests for comment about Treyarch's current project as of press time.

The resume offers no other details on Call of Duty 7, including platforms, ratings, or a release date. However, given the fact Modern Warfare 2 is due out November 10, 2009, a fall 2010 release date appears likely. If the past two games are a precedent, an M for Mature rating and multiplatform release are also all but assured.

For more on Treyarch's work on the Call of Duty franchise, check out GameSpot's video review of the best-selling Call of Duty: World at War below.

I hope they do a Vietnam game, as I think WW2 has been done to death and nobody seems to be adding anything new to it. Anyone have any preferences as to what era/war they'd like to see?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

humanji wrote: »
    Anyone have any preferences as to what era/war they'd like to see?

As the article suggests, a Cold War-era game would be good, perhaps spanning Vietnam and a fictional, 'it-happened-but-we-never-really-heard-about-it' conflict in, say Siberia and Alaska/Canada. It could introduce some new environments and weapons, and free up the narrative a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

I'd like to see a 1916 game, but that won't happen.

I can imagine the "Irish" Americans buying it and complaining That there's no Leprechauns

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

humanji wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly, the 7th installment is being developed and as you'd expect, it's Treyarch's turn again. From Gamespot

Let me see, the last time they had a go they managed to take the perfectly working engine from COD4 and royally screw up every single thing they touched.

Never buying from them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

since modern warfare 2 has dropped the call of duty branding, wouldnt this mean that its actually cod6 that theyre working on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

The COD games won't have any numbering from WAW onwards.

Modern Warfare will be a separate franchise in it's own right and the name will probably eventually become a subtitle.

Like for example:

CHINA CRISIS
    modern warfare 3

Don't know where I got that from but it sounds like it could be a cool game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

id say more thank likely its gonna be more terriosts in a former central republic, though id love to see a vietnam game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Treyarch are the bastard child of the COD series.

Infinity Ward made it and should be the only ones allowed to make games for it !

Both COD3 and COD5 were useless, and I won't be touching 7.

Long live Infinity Ward !! :D (formed by former 2015 employees , the ppl who made MOH:AA, god I wish they'd remake that game. I still play it :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

I agree about treyarch being a disaster when it comes to the COD series.. I'm surprised Infinity wards let them tarnish the games reputation every time. Its like having a straight to dvd sequel to a blockbuster movie. I'll pass on COD7

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

All I know is, Infinity Wards name is on 1, 2 and 4, and those are the ones people are still talking about.

Unsurprisingly Cod1 is STILL $20. Do you have any idea how long ive been waiting for that price to go down? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm surprised Infinity wards let them tarnish the games reputation every time.

treyarch keep getting COD because they're good at it.

reviewers - that is to say professional reviewers - give their games decent to excellent reviews.

their games sell hugely.

i'm not seeing the general picture of 'treyarch ruin everything they touch' nor am i seeing how they tarnish the reputation every time. cod3 for example had better graphics than cod2. it also had better mp. who gives a toss about SP - in fairness for most people its all about MP; i never even played past the first hour in cod4.

i would swear theres a conspiracy against treyarch on boards. i love call of duty as much as the next guy but i'm just stumped as to where a lot of this criticism comes from. world at war was an exellent online shooter and by far the best ww2 one available as of now. looks and plays much better than cod2, though overall it lacks the perfection of the latter, but that's hardly interpetative as meaning its crap. one guy on here before said that the graphics in cod5 were absolutely crap - even though its a modified cod4 engine. :rolleyes:

treyarches cod3 and cod2 on the original xbox were the best ww2 fps titles as well, excellent games. they also technically made return to castle wolfenstein and call of duty united offensive, since the guys that made that merged with treyarch a good while back. conveniently overlooked by a lot of people.

though i do have to say quantum of solace was absolute crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

There was a COD6? :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    There was a COD6? :confused:

That's in November, aka Modern Warfare 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

theyre not really a numbering scheme anymore though, they just use those names to signify chronology - this sounds good, it means there could/should be a fairly wide variety of play/setting within one game.

why have infinity ward dropped the cod title though? do they plan on branching that one off as in modern warfare: insert region here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

giggsy664 wrote: »
    I'd like to see a 1916 game, but that won't happen.

I can imagine the "Irish" Americans buying it and complaining That there's no Leprechauns

Mission One, hold up in a building in Dublin and get wtfpwned by the brits.

Mission Two, get executed. Fin.

Would definitely like to see something new, Vietnam would be great but then again if it's a Cold War setting they can just make up fictional covert ops which would be fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

treyarch keep getting COD because they're good at it.

reviewers - that is to say professional reviewers - give their games decent to excellent reviews.

their games sell hugely.

i'm not seeing the general picture of 'treyarch ruin everything they touch' nor am i seeing how they tarnish the reputation every time. cod3 for example had better graphics than cod2. it also had better mp. who gives a toss about SP - in fairness for most people its all about MP; i never even played past the first hour in cod4.

i would swear theres a conspiracy against treyarch on boards. i love call of duty as much as the next guy but i'm just stumped as to where a lot of this criticism comes from. world at war was an exellent online shooter and by far the best ww2 one available as of now. looks and plays much better than cod2, though overall it lacks the perfection of the latter, but that's hardly interpetative as meaning its crap. one guy on here before said that the graphics in cod5 were absolutely crap - even though its a modified cod4 engine. :rolleyes:

treyarches cod3 and cod2 on the original xbox were the best ww2 fps titles as well, excellent games. they also technically made return to castle wolfenstein and call of duty united offensive, since the guys that made that merged with treyarch a good while back. conveniently overlooked by a lot of people.

though i do have to say quantum of solace was absolute crap.

The massive network problems that are still ongoing with COD5 all from the slight modifications they made to the multiplayer netcode is a bit ridicules when you consider the engine was working and well tested when they got it.

And there is clearly no indication of them trying to fix it either.

Massive problems at launch and no support after will turn me off any developer, including Valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

World War I? Vietnam would be great too though. In the closing credits you could return to the States and get rotten veg pelted on you by hippies.

Advertisement