Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people support Ferrari?

• 14-05-2009 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

This isn't an attack on Ferrari supporters, I'm just curious. I've watched F1 for years, and never felt any loyalty or affiliation to any particular team - I've always just liked individual drivers, and would 'support' them, even if they changed teams.

I loved Senna, and as such 'liked' McLaren, but I certainly didn't stop liking Senna when he went to Williams, and when he did, I didn't really care about McLaren any more.

Obviously, being Irish, the one exception to this was Jordan, who I always wanted to do well, regardless of who the drivers were. But I don't get why Ferrari (or McLaren, or anyone else) have legions of supporters/fans, akin to that of a football team.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Do you like red baseball caps? Do you own a Ferrari? Are you half-Italian?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

jusk wrote: »
    This isn't an attack on Ferrari supporters, I'm just curious. I've watched F1 for years, and never felt any loyalty or affiliation to any particular team - I've always just liked individual drivers, and would 'support' them, even if they changed teams.

I loved Senna, and as such 'liked' McLaren, but I certainly didn't stop liking Senna when he went to Williams, and when he did, I didn't really care about McLaren any more.

Obviously, being Irish, the one exception to this was Jordan, who I always wanted to do well, regardless of who the drivers were. But I don't get why Ferrari (or McLaren, or anyone else) have legions of supporters/fans, akin to that of a football team.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Do you like red baseball caps? Do you own a Ferrari? Are you half-Italian?

Well you made a good comparison there yourself. Why do so many Irish people support Man United, or Liverpool?

I think Ferrari are a bit like that, you either love them or hate them!

They weren't always the dominant force they became in the first half of this decade, so it's not even a case of jumping on the winning bandwagon a la Man Utd

Much and all as I wish I owned a Ferrari, I don't so it's not that.

I have a great interest in the history of F1 and I guess my support for them stems from that. They're the only team that have been there from the start and are steeped in history.

Most car enthusiast has romantic ideas about Ferrari and the passion for motor racing it represents.

Enzo Ferrari sold his road car division to Fiat to keep his racing cars financially support and on the track. Can you imagine Renault doing that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I personally support Ferrari because of the history they have in the sport, being the only team who has competed in every world championship since it inception is something I admire about them and their passion for the sport. I have never supported another team and never will, its the way I am, when I support a team it for life through the good times and the bad times(and for those of you who don't remember, Ferrari had plenty of bad times in the 80's and 90's). I do also have drivers that I like to see do well(I was a huge Schumacher fan, even before he joined Ferrari) but Ferrari always comes first, even when Schumacher was at Benetton I always wanted the Ferrari's to finish ahead of him. It's the same question I get when I tell people I support Inter in the football, people always say but your not Italian, what difference does it make where you are from as long as you are passionate about the team you support. The other thing for me is that supporting a driver you know his time in the sport will eventually come to an end, but with a team you hope that they will always be involved and for me personally, thats why I decided to support a team rather than just a driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

i support ferrari because i was a massive schumacher fan he was my childhood hero, and when he moved to ferrari i ended learning so much about the team and its history ect. even now without schumacher i still luv the team but its because of what ive learnt about them since 96, ill never hav another fav driver so i guess in away ferrari has kinda taken schueys place. i know dis yrs has been pretty rubbish for them but they hav survived in motorracing for 60yrs that incrediable and its show overall what a great team they are.

enzo7 wrote: »
    i support ferrari because i was a massive schumacher fan he was my childhood hero, and when he moved to ferrari i ended learning so much about the team and its history ect. even now without schumacher i still luv the team but its because of what ive learnt about them since 96, ill never hav another fav driver so i guess in away ferrari has kinda taken schueys place. i know dis yrs has been pretty rubbish for them but they hav survived in motorracing for 60yrs that incrediable and its show overall what a great team they are.

You're kinda lucky that your childhood hero was still in F1 by the time you grew up.

Doesn't happen very often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

smooch71 wrote: »
    I think Ferrari are a bit like that, you either love them or hate them!
    I'm completely indifferent. I'm the same with drivers, I'd respect their ability and if they put in a good race I applaud them. I'd like to see certain drivers win but don't get upset if they don't.

I think the cars are awesome pieces of engineering and love to see them race, that's about it for me.

• Advertisement

Ficus wrote: »
    I think its the heritage of ferrari, the passion and beauty from their road cars and the desire to be part of that.

That's almost poetic.

Brings a tear to the eye...

sniff

Ficus wrote: »
    I think its the heritage of ferrari, the passion and beauty from their road cars and the desire to be part of that.

yep tears in my eyes too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Why do people support Ferrari?

Thats a no brainer..
    Simply because their cars are Red and everyone knows Red cars are faster :D

No,
    Seriously though.
    I only support Ferrari because Kimi drives for them.
    If Kimi moved to another team then I would follow him along :cool:

vectra wrote: »
    Thats a no brainer..
    Simply because their cars are Red and everyone knows Red cars are faster :D

No,
    Seriously though.
    I only support Ferrari because Kimi drives for them.
    If Kimi moved to another team then I would follow him along :cool:

What if Kimi left F1 and Ferrari stayed?

Would you stick with them?

smooch71 wrote: »
    What if Kimi left F1 and Ferrari stayed?

Would you stick with them?

Thats a Hard call..:confused:

I was an undivided supporter of Jordan in their years. When abandoned ship it left me wondering who to support.
    I always did like McLaren as a team until they got a bit snotty recently.
    But did like Kimi before his F1 days so decided I would support him which suited fine at the time as he was heading to McLaren.

Stuck with him to his current drive.

Where after this???

God knows..
    Adam Carroll hopefully
    Hmm
    Might even just turn my interests to the A1 GP.

Time will tell ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Don't get this either. Nor do I get why people support foreign football teams.

Don't get me started on weird people that oppose the english, oppose all things that the english stand for, and also hate them with a passion, BUT support english football teams :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    So because they arent Irish you shouldnt support them? Sure even Jordan were based in the UK.

Don't get me started on weird people that oppose people liking english football teams, and try to force you to like the Eircom league :),
    [/quote]
    Yeah... I walked into that one :D :P :pac:

I was taking the piss out of the whole "ye have to be from X to support them".
    though I heard X is in an eXcellent place :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jusk

Many fair points raised above. Cheers.

I know I brought it up myself, but I can't equate F1 teams to football teams. A big part of supporting a football team is the banter with your friends, who either support other teams, or the same team as you.
    But with F1, it seems there are just Ferrari fans, and then just F1 fans - nobody seems to 'support' any other team.

I know there's the whole 'tradition' thing, etc, and the road cars, but still - if you claimed to be supporting a football team because of their tradition... I dunno, I don't think it holds much water. Any BMW, Toyota or Renault owners supporting 'their' F1 team? Anyone love Jaeger-bombs, and support Red Bull?

Enzo mentioned his residual Ferrari support in the wake of Schumi - I can appreciate that - as I had a similar thing with Senna & McLaren, but that's long gone.

Off-topic: by the way, there are many excellent reasons why it's normal for Irish folks to support English football teams, but I won't go into that here. (Unfortunately though, the soccer forum has bizarro entrance rules and initiation protocols, so I can't contribute to that argument in it's proper place..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I always hated Ferrari, they were always the team all the other teams just didn't like. Agree with smooch71, think people follow them in the same context as supportin Man Utd, Liverpool etc. that they just win everything.

Cake Man wrote: »
    I always hated Ferrari, they were always the team all the other teams just didn't like. Agree with smooch71, think people follow them in the same context as supportin Man Utd, Liverpool etc. that they just win everything.

I suppose it had nothing to do with them being the best team out there?
    They have proven it over the year as all other teams have admitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

You either have a very short memory or are relatively new to the sport, in which case you should look into things before you make stupid statements. Ferrari had a very long spell of not winning anything before Schumacher/Brawn joined them, having not won the drivers championship since 79, so yeah every Ferrari fan is a glory hunter:rolleyes:

didnt think thats what smooch said at all:confused:. as dor83 said you hav a very short memory!!

enzo7 wrote: »
    didnt think thats what smooch said at all:confused:. as dor83 said you hav a very short memory!!

You're right.

I was saying the complete opposite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

I have been a Ferrari fan since Shumacher joined the team (was and always will be a shumi fan) and have supported Ferarri ever since then

Advertisement