Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí to stand trial in connection with alleged assault on teenager

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

So far the Court has heard that they entered a house without authorisation or warrant, three of them held the victims mother in her kitchen while the others beat the son who was in bed at the time.

They violated various constitutional rights and statutes, and have been charged by Gardai with trepassing, forced entry, and assault causing harm. There's nothing minor about those charges and they should definately be removed (at a minimum) from the force if there's any truth to these allegations.

We all know that sometimes criminals "deserve" a few digs, but there was plenty of opportunity to do it on the street and at least have some deniability, but to think they believed could terrorise people in their home and get away with it is a serious and disturbing matter.

Its lucky the victim and family got this to court and didn't give into intimidation. If you think the IRA are bad, just imagine them with the backing of the state and you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

some people on this thread are unbelievable letting the minds run away with themselves going on about IRA and Disadvantaged areas shut up until you actually experience what a disadvantaged area is.

I am all up for the gardai im from a disadvangted area and am currently undergoing medicals for the force but get your facts straight.

The 17 year Eoin Gaffeny has had no criminal convictions and no offences to his name.

He was local boy who never got involved in with gardai and was never unlawful that has already been proven to the jury.

But listen He was in bed on a saturday night after coming back from a soccer match he played for his football team.

and i would love to now what a disadvantaged area is to some of you's because the city centre basin street is actually a quiet area.

He was half asleep when the members used forced entery which is why there been charged with TRESPASSING.

The female officer had a blank piece of paper which was apparently a warrant. thats falsified information which is also an offence as a judge needs to allow a warrant.

False imprisonment why did they need to do this.

So the mother wouldn't see what happened clear as day why that happened.

These Renagade gardai are putting more and more dents in the garda reputation and are causing more communitee problems and this trust in the force.

So will half of you please stop going on about Rape IRA and stick to what the thread is about.

None of that ads up though.
    The Gardaí hardly fingered some innocent 17 year old, rounded up the troops and followed him home kicking in his door.

Either the storty has become a Chinese whisper, or Gaffney isn't as innocent as he's being made out ot be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

ILA wrote: »
    So far the Court has heard that they entered a house without authorisation or warrant, three of them held the victims mother in her kitchen while the others beat the son who was in bed at the time.

They violated various constitutional rights and statutes, and have been charged by Gardai with trepassing, forced entry, and assault causing harm. There's nothing minor about those charges and they should definately be removed (at a minimum) from the force if there's any truth to these allegations.

We all know that sometimes criminals "deserve" a few digs, but there was plenty of opportunity to do it on the street and at least have some deniability, but to think they believed could terrorise people in their home and get away with it is a serious and disturbing matter.

Its lucky the victim and family got this to court and didn't give into intimidation. If you think the IRA are bad, just imagine them with the backing of the state and you get the idea.

You cant assocaite the whole force with the assumption of rogue officers same thing is happening in mexico not on civilian over trusts a cop becaus they don't know who he assocaites gang or police.
    Rogue officers such as these four deserve the treatment there getting but rounding all officers in the same bracket is a bit strong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Ah would you stop. These little fcukers would think nothing of spitting/ hitting/ abusing Guards so I would see it as a perk of the job being able to kick the crap out of them.
    Guards put up with enough bullsh!t from scum as it is so wasting time/ money & resources 'investigating' an 'incident' is yet another way to p!ss money away money we don't have.

Do you understand that someone who has carte blanche to attack whoever they want might attack whoever they want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

A garda's mearanda rights clearly states in the statement itself "innocent till proven guilty".

Eoin had : No offences, No criminal charges and not known to gardai sounds innocent enough don't you think all statements accounted for. Proof of innocence my freind just because in a disadvantaged area doesn't mean he's like the rest same as myself.

What are you talking about? What mearanda rights?

• Advertisement

He was local boy who never got involved in with gardai and was never unlawful that has already been proven to the jury.

So you think they just chose a random house?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

k_mac wrote: »

Somebody's been watching too much Law & Order. :pac: Which of course have nothing to do with innocent until proven guilty...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_warning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A garda's mearanda rights clearly states in the statement itself "innocent till proven guilty".

Watching too much American TV I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The Gardaí hardly fingered some innocent 17 year old, rounded up the troops and followed him home kicking in his door.

Either the storty has become a Chinese whisper, or Gaffney isn't as innocent as he's being made out ot be.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that not having a clean record removes your normal rights.

Mairanda rights is something is required by law that they have to say innocent until proven guilty read the posts will you

• Advertisement

Watching too much American TV I think

I live in Ireland my friend don't need american tv :D

So you think they just chose a random house?

Do you think its acceptable lock a parent in the bathroom while you beat up there kid? Oh and waved a blank piece of paper claiming its a warrant?

Mairanda rights is something is required by law that they have to say innocent until proven guilty read the posts will you

It isn't. The Miranda Rights warning has nothing to do with innocent until proven guilty.
    I live in Ireland my friend don't need american tv :D

Then you should know that the Miranda Rights are specific to the US. While we have similar here invoking an American Supreme Court ruling will get you laughed out of it. You will never see a Garda mentioning the "Miranda Rights"... something similar yes.

Or the Gardai in this case are pricks who should be thrown off the force and the false imprisonment, fake warrant would tend to bear this out.

the only alternation is that gardai say will be written down and used as evidence and yes your right it is similar i never said it wasn't

There is no mention of being innocent until proven guilty in either the American or the Irish version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

People going on about these little scumbags being above the law and whatever thinking they can do what they like and who gives them the right to do all this, Well who gives gardai the right to burst into someones home without a warrant proceed to falsely imprison someone and then beat another while lying in the bed?

Honestly can't believe the amount of people sticking up for these dirtbag "garda" There not fu*king garda there scumbags who give the force a bad name. I'm all for the guards and the amazing work they do but there's also a few within the force that are cun*s and thankfully a few have been found, Hope to god there thrown off the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Are most people seriously suggesting that Gardaí should be allowed to carry out basic assaults to settle their own personal grudges using time we're paying for and other Gardaí to help them? Really? If the police have no faith in the justice system then we have more problems than the recession and I don't think the police becoming vigilantes is how to go about it. If they don't uphold the law why should they expect others to?

Are most people seriously suggesting that Gardaí should be allowed to carry out basic assaults to settle their own personal grudges using time we're paying for and other Gardaí to help them? Really? If the police have no faith in the justice system then we have more problems than the recession and I don't think the police becoming vigilantes is how to go about it. If they don't uphold the law why should they expect others to?

Ah be fair. They've taken a pay cut.

Nurses should be able to help themselves to the medicine cabinets and politicians should be able to steal whatever money they can too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

What do you mean by LOWER SOCIAL ECONOMIC GROUP?

He means the welfare class. You know, scobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 andy1981

I went to School with Mr Conlon, such a nice quiet chap. If anything Id say he was easily led.. No excuse though if he is guilty of assault.
    Same laws should apply to everyone...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Before anyone decides to pontificate about the poor young fella, read this and scroll down.

He's a scumbag and deserved all he got.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Or the Gardai in this case are pricks who should be thrown off the force and the false imprisonment, fake warrant would tend to bear this out.

And if it all turns out to be lies?
    What then?

Who will you direct your outrage at then?

All that I said is that none of the accounts of what happened make sense.

Nodin wrote: »
    You seem to be under the misapprehension that not having a clean record removes your normal rights.

I'm afriad you're wrong.
    I said nothing of the sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm afriad you're wrong.
    I said nothing of the sort.

Fair enough.

Would you care to explain what you did mean?

Nodin wrote: »
    Fair enough.

Would you care to explain what you did mean?

I suggested that the truth, whatever it is, is being distorted.

I find it hard to believe that four squad cars full of Gardaí just randomly showed up at an innocent teenagers house to beat him up for no reason.

*Edit

Now, according to this link provided by The Zohan (Sunday World, I know, but it's a good a source as any right now)
    Gaffney is not an innocent 17 year old but in fact a 19 year old ex con, involved in vicious gang violence.

http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/?aid=4463

Don't get me wrong though, your comment was bang on in realtion to my personal opinions.
    It was just wrong in relation to what I actually said in the post you qouted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I never it was in the miranda right it is used as legal term in courts

:confused:
    Now read that again
    Are you surprised posters are getting confused with your posts?

A garda's mearanda rights clearly states in the statement itself "innocent till proven guilty"..
    I never it was in the miranda right it is used as legal term in courts your getting mixed up wth what im posting

You what now? :confused:

Now, according to this link provided by The Zohan (Sunday World, I know, but it's a good a source as any right now)
    Gaffney is not an innocent 17 year old but in fact a 19 year old ex con, involved in vicious gang violence..

17 at the time of the alleged assault in 2008.

At one time it was common practice for scumbags to follow gardaí home after work and let them know they knew where such and such a garda lived, and what kind of car, how many kids etc. This little pup could have done something like this to spark off the row. The gardaí are essentially powerless in the above situation. It's understandable that some would take the law into their own hands in such a case. Just imagine you are dealing with the likes of the gangland scum and they know where you live, what your partner looks like etc and there's nothing you can legally do about it....

Either way, if they broke the law, which it sounds like they did, they have to be held to account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Degsy wrote: »
    There's plenty of people knocking around and the only thing they'd understand is a good hiding.
    Little mouthy scumbags who get away with murder at home and "know thier rights" when the cops go to tackle them.
    Dirty little shiites,we need a few Lugs Brannigan style cops to give them proper justice.
    The day the four of them burst into one of the gangland headcases homes and take on a grown man - even if it does take four of them is the day I'll agree with you. But no, four heros beat one scumbag. big deal. they're paid to uphold our law - not make it up as they go along. I don't know even know what the young fella was supposed to have done.

• Advertisement

Do you think its acceptable lock a parent in the bathroom while you beat up there kid? Oh and waved a blank piece of paper claiming its a warrant?

I never said anything like that. I merely commented on your assertion of him having had nothing to do with Gardaí before the incident.

Not in Ireland. You're thinking of the U.S. In Ireland we use the caution, similar to the one in the UK.

Advertisement