Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí to stand trial in connection with alleged assault on teenager

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I thought it was clear in my opening remark I don't condone their (alleged) actions.

I also expressed surprise at their stupidity, but you took that as support? No, I fully condemn their (alleged) actions

Gotcha.
    Just wasn't sure about it when you suggested an alternative that would have allowed them do what they wanted but get away with it.

Anyway, I agree with Nodin, for better or for worse, the evidence in this case is all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well, its more the "evidence"....the fact is that regardless of the character of the indivicual, he's entitled to be able to sit in his house securely unless he's committed a crime, regardless of what he may or may not have done in the past. Otherwise everyone who did at least one stupid thing in youth would essentially receive a 'life sentence' to being a 2nd class citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

At the end of the day, would you really want your faith to be decided by 12people who couldnt come up with an excuse not to be on a jury?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    At the end of the day, would you really want your faith to be decided by 12people who couldnt come up with an excuse not to be on a jury?

think that up yourself? It's a good one though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

ANXIOUS wrote: »

I'll pick my own religion or lack thereof, Thank You very much. I will not leave my heavenly fate up to anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

mike kelly wrote: »
    when is the verdict expected? I can't see the gardai doing any time no matter what happens
    The trial is adjourned 'till next week

dvpower wrote: »
    The trial is adjourned 'till next week

Has Gaffney been bought / scared off? Something fishy here

The Garadí convinced him to withdraw his suit.
    They said that if he didn't, they would go to his hou.......

Perhaps, despite all wild accusations and heated interenet discussions, there is no solid evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Can they even do that in a criminal trial? I know they can in a civil trial but thought that once the dpp were involved it had to go the whole hog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm afraid thats it for now ...........Tune in Next Week For Another Episode Of 'They battered The Head Off Me'.............

• Advertisement

Can they even do that in a criminal trial? I know they can in a civil trial but thought that once the dpp were involved it had to go the whole hog?

well if Gaffney changes his evidence, upon mature reflection is no longer so sure of what happened, then that will be it.

A good cliffhanger for the end of the week

well if Gaffney changes his evidence, upon mature reflection is no longer so sure of what happened, then that will be it.

To clarify my question. Can the Gardai offer compo for him to drop the trial? I think if they could they would. It would mean they couldn't then perjur themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yesterday's Court reports already show inconsistency between his evidence and what he reported to the Ombudsman in his complaint, but that could be explained perhaps by the passage of time.

Its only been adjourned (on request from the prosecution). They'll all be back next week.

To clarify my question. Can the Gardai offer compo for him to drop the trial? I think if they could they would. It would mean they couldn't then perjur themselves.

Its not his trial to drop. The state are bringing the case, not Gaffney.

Yes, but without him there is no case.

Good question. Not sure if it is offically possible but an under the table deal could be worked out.

Good question. Not sure if it is offically possible but an under the table deal could be worked out.
    I think paying a witness to change or withdraw testimony half way through a criminal trial might lead to charges of contempt of court.

I think paying a witness to change or withdraw testimony half way through a criminal trial might lead to charges of contempt of court.

Well Gaffney already has 27 previous convictions, I wouldn't say that one more would worry him too much.

Well Gaffney already has 27 previous convictions, I wouldn't say that one more would worry him too much.
    I was thinking more of the Gardai being done for contempt.

• Advertisement

I was thinking more of the Gardai being done for contempt.

If the Gardai and Gaffney do a deal, I can't see the state investigating the gardai.

After the Eric Leamy murder trail collapsed, it was the witnesses and not the accused who were charged.

That's what I thought. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yesterday's Court reports already show inconsistency between his evidence and what he reported to the Ombudsman in his complaint, but that could be explained perhaps by the passage of time.

He just plum forgot!

What about the student Gardaí that were testifying against the assualting Gardaí?
    Any update on their part?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

If my other aunt had balls she'd be me other uncle! :D

Bosco boy wrote: »
    If my other aunt had balls she'd be me other uncle! :D

Your aunt reminds me a bit of Joan Burton

He just plum forgot!

What about the student Gardaí that were testifying against the assualting Gardaí?
    Any update on their part?

the student Gardai are learning a lot more than they ever would in Templemore

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yes, but without him there is no case.

I dont see how they could continue being guards if they paid him compo (they would then be admitting at least some degree of guilt) and still serve as gaurds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Your aunt reminds me a bit of Joan Burton

shes me uncle now! :D

Right, no.
    I don't think Gardaí can just pay off complainants to make their complaints go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Right, no.
    I don't think Gardaí can just pay off complainants to make their complaints go away.

Yea quite right, basically they would be admitting guilt but saying heres some money so were not found guilty. It wouldn't change the fact that they weren't worthy of their job.

Advertisement