Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí to stand trial in connection with alleged assault on teenager

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Right, no.
    I don't think Gardaí can just pay off complainants to make their complaints go away.

what about this case?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

mike kelly wrote: »
    what about this case?

There's also a case you might want to look up from 1941, think it was in the irish press!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10625867/

And theres another one about blocking complaints in a communist country!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

seriously guys if you think that guards are in the right assaulting people because they got away with it theres something wrong there.

Never said otherwise! But they deserve a fair trial and due process which many people here appear to want to deny them, there are some very valid posts here but most of it is Garda bashing from people with agendas. The gardai may be wrong but to deny anyone a fair trial is totally wrong!

• Advertisement

great to see that the state is indeed willing to bring criminal charges against gardai and give them a fair trial. Hopefully this fellow will be next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

what about this case?

That was a civil case wasn't it?
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Yea quite right, basically they would be admitting guilt but saying heres some money so were not found guilty. It wouldn't change the fact that they weren't worthy of their job.

But there is a big difference between admitting to using excessive force and admitting to the charges before the court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Someone's mentioned in the politics thread that the alleged victim has 27 previous convictions including assaulting a Garda ? question mark added because it's hearsay and I've found no facts relating to the story, but someone also mentioned it here

I know that this could mean either scenario: a vindictive Garda taking it too far or a Garda who genuinely needs to use force because of who they're up against.

But FFS - why the hell are people with 27 convictions and no regard for law & order or common decency out and about ?

This country is a shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What I find most hypocritical about those who advocate that the Guards beat up "undesirables" is that they are the very same people who call the Provos a bunch of bloodthirsty scumbag thugs for doing the exact same thing.
    A neighbourhood is terrorised by drugdealers and joy riders...it's OK for the Gardai to smash a few heads but when the Gardai don't or can't do this and the IRA come in a kneecap a few or break some limbs and faces well then that's out of order completely.

The IRA have no authority and represent nobody. There also isn't an IRA ombudsman who is answerable to the people of this country if the IRA go too far, which they far too regularly did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Someone's mentioned in the politics thread that the alleged victim has 27 previous convictions including assaulting a Garda ? question mark added because it's hearsay and I've found no facts relating to the story, but someone also mentioned it here

I know that this could mean either scenario: a vindictive Garda taking it too far or a Garda who genuinely needs to use force because of who they're up against.

They needed to use force because........? He wasn't being arrested. You might take note of what the exact charges are.

Failures of the judicial system or otherwise in previous cases are rather irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not hearsay, he admitted it
    A 21-year-old man who claims he was beaten by four gardaí when he was 18 has admitted he has 27 previous convictions.

Quite possible, he broke a garda's jaw.
    Mr Gaffney told defence counsel Hugh Hartnett that he was 'no angel' during his teenage years and admitted having a conviction for assaulting a garda whose jaw was broken.

But breaking someones jaw isn't violence it seems ;)
    But he denied there was history of violence towards gardaí.

Also
    Owen Gaffney said he served a prison sentence after he failed to complete a community service order. He also admitted resisting arrest in the past.

Poor lamb, 27 convictions and he didn't understand what conviction meant :confused:
    He admitted that he had a total of 27 previous convictions but denied deliberately leaving this out of his first statement to the Garda Ombudsman.
    He said he told them he had been arrested a number of times but 'didn't actually know what the word conviction meant'.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1021/garda.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

what about this case?

There is a big difference between a civil case for damages and a criminal trial.
    In this criminal trial the state are bringing a case against individual gardai (not AGS). A civil case against the individuals and/or AGS may follow and if one does they can offer to settle out of court.

But nobody can make criminal charges go away by paying over money and attempting to pay off a witness in a criminal trial would be a serious offense in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Not hearsay, ..............

So you're saying that somebody who has been convicted in the past can have their house broken into and be beaten by Gardai and its fair enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The IRA have no authority and represent nobody. There also isn't an IRA ombudsman who is answerable to the people of this country if the IRA go too far, which they far too regularly did.

The gardai have no authority to enter a private home without a warrant and assault someone.
    Isn't that why we are having this trial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nodin wrote: »
    So you're saying that somebody who has been convicted in the past can have their house broken into and be beaten by Gardai and its fair enough?

Hey, quote RTE news site which I provided a link for, not me!

Liam Byrne asks was it hearsay, I provided a link to where Gaffney admitted it

I never once posted if he deserved it or not.
    I don't need to, there are 27 pages of that already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I will be very surprised if this trial reaches a conclusion. I'll wager that next week the judge will step in and find some technicality to cancel this trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Degsy wrote: »
    There's plenty of people knocking around and the only thing they'd understand is a good hiding.
    Little mouthy scumbags who get away with murder at home and "know thier rights" when the cops go to tackle them.
    Dirty little shiites,we need a few Lugs Brannigan style cops to give them proper justice.

And what if we have a garda that is a dirty class scumbag and by joe I've came across quite a few of them), would it be ok to give him a beating too? Or what if a garda mistook you for a dirty little scumbag, would you find it acceptable when they are beating the ****e (and you are full of it) out of you?

Answers on a postcard please.

But FFS - why the hell are people with 27 convictions and no regard for law & order or common decency out and about ?

This country is a shambles.

27 is pretty low by scumbag standards. A law whcih locked up for life anyone with more than 100 convictions would be a big step forward

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I will be very surprised if this trial reaches a conclusion. I'll wager that next week the judge will step in and find some technicality to cancel this trial.

+1

27 is pretty low by scumbag standards. A law whcih locked up for life anyone with more than 100 convictions would be a big step forward

I wonder would any of the victims of those 27 convictions agree with you, and by the way there are many people doing life that have only one conviction! You dont seem to have a grasp of the legal system, its not perfect but generally it works and all people should have the right to a fair trial even if they are in the police and you dont like the police for whatever reason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I think that this is disgraceful. 4 Gardai should not have to stand trial for giving a person from a lower social ecconomic group an alleged hideing. It's just not right. The Gards should be able to do what ever they like.

Social class means absolutely nothing in behavior. Beatings for those who deserve them regardless of their standing.

You'll get scumbags from the flats acting up on the weekend just like how you'll see the various wealthy rugby schools trying to kick the shíte out of eachother every weekend in Donnybrook once Wezz has kicked out. Money doesn't mean anything, I've encountered more problems with middle-class shams than I have "working class knackers".

Edit: Wow, old thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

Hope these Gardai get jail time. Its about time their power trips were reeled in. Four adults assaulting a teenager in his own home with his poor mother watching. Gardai nned to be told that they are not a law unto themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

I was assaulted once at work by an awful skanger, Guards arrived etc etc and next day when I called down to the station to give my statement they asked me to 're-think' if I wanted them to go ahead and press charges as this girl had been raped in the past and was therefore... not right in the head, understandably, so they said. I felt so sorry for her I said grand, leave it be, but then read a few months later in the Wicklow People she was up for her 100th+ charge on public order offences... hmmm. Lazy guards or genuine pity for her.... I still feel bad for her not having had the benefit of a safe and happy upbringing but hey....

Not that connected to this story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Say goodbye to your ass, it's about to be owned.
    Say goodbye to your brain, it's turned to soup.

The fact anyone even leans towards questioning the guards using a heavy hand on the scum of the country
    Are no better then that scum.

I’d say it is a great feeling to arrest a silky tracksuited scumbag. Sticking a good sharp knee in the back and a hand on the hand head to acquaint the lowlife with mr. pavement, makes you almost want to join the guards.
    Spoken like a true scumbag.

seven-iron wrote: »
    Hope these Gardai get jail time. Its about time their power trips were reeled in. Four adults assaulting a teenager in his own home with his poor mother watching. Gardai nned to be told that they are not a law unto themselves.

power trips - these are what gardai are on when they arrest coked up yuppies for public order offences!

Holsten wrote: »
    The little scummer probably deserved it.
    Probably deserved it? Oh that's alright then. Had me worried there..

Isnt Justice just revenge served by a different person?
    No.

I hate this 'technically' he didnt do anything wrong bull****. 4 Guards were going to this scourge on societies house, what a nasty piece of work this degenerate must be.

Well done, he played the system he is probably never out of and got 4guards charged, but for people to come along here and say ridiculous things like the above quoted then you're just as bad.

I'm disgusted by some of the attitudes here.
    What's disgusting here is your attitude, making assumptions like that without knowing anything about the incident. The facts are that the guards forced their way in, all four of them, and then subjected a teenager to a beating. Maybe he was a 'scumbag'. That doesn't right a wrong. You fail to see that holding these Gardai to account is for your protection too. What's ridiculous about saying 'Why didn't they arrest him'? It's a fair question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

seven-iron wrote: »

Jesus Christ the little F*$cker had 27 previous convictions and had broken a guards jaw, and you come out with sh!te like this? The little knacker got everything he deserved. A public display needs to be made of people like this not this "ah the poor crater" crap!!

Advertisement