Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí to stand trial in connection with alleged assault on teenager

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Johro wrote: »
    I don't think the point is whether the guy is a scumbag or not. The point is that there are rules in place which should not be disregarded by people in positions of power. It's dangerous. You might be next.

I haven't 27 convictions to my name. I haven't assaulted a guard. Why should I believe some guard is going to break into my house to assault me. Talk about twisting it to make your point!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    I haven't 27 convictions to my name. I haven't assaulted a guard. Why should I believe some guard is going to break into my house to assault me. Talk about twisting it to make your point!

Becuase the discretion of whos a scumbag would lie with the gaurds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1026/garda.html

Well surprise surprise, the Garda asault trial has just collapsed.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Well surprise surprise, the Garda asault trial has just collapsed.... :rolleyes:

In what way does this surprise you? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Delighted for the scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

....and? :confused: Plenty of people here screaming for the law to be applied properly....when it is applied properly..it's a conspiracy or what? It's up to the DPP now, he can direct a retrial.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Nothing has been resolved, it will just go to retrial which probably won't be for ages so looks like this is set to run and run. It would be interesting to know what the 'information' is that caused this collapse?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Nodin wrote: »
    I think theres a 'Grasping At Straws' award for you...

Why? Because I expect the matter to be held to the letter of the law?

Well surprise surprise, the Garda asault trial has just collapsed....
    So....are we going to find out what these 'matters' were?

I wonder have they finally considered the possibility that Gaffney, may have, just a little bit, twisted the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erogonamalu

well well well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Spudmonkey wrote: »

What if the gardaí broke into your house instead of you scumbag neighbours and assaulted you? Would you be OK with that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

So....are we going to find out what these 'matters' were?

I wonder have they finally considered the possibility that Gaffney, may have, just a little bit, twisted the truth.

Well then, perhaps you might explain why all these Gardai were in his house...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Nodin wrote: »
    Well then, perhaps you might explain why all these Gardai were in his house...

I would, but I haven't been privy to these matters :P

Furthermore, did we even have any proof that they were in his house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

My heart is broken for the poor scumbag with 27 convictions. How dare he not get justice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I would, but I haven't been privy to these matters :P

Furthermore, did we even have any proof that they were in his house?

So you're content to say "nyahh" when asked for an explanation of why a number of men were in a house, when there was sufficient evidence to bring a prosecution.....

You do realise that there were around 10 Gardai around the house at the time of the incident and that they used two or three cars to get there...? And that blood from one of the Gardai was found in the house....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

The jury was discharged by Judge Desmond Hogan on the grounds that certain matters had come to light from the prosecution and ombudsman office.

Wonder what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Well done to the guards, pitty they didnt finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Wonder what happened.

the GRA threatened a dose of blue flu after he budget?

Bosco Boy, what do you think? What an amazingly transparent system of (in)justice we have!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    What if the gardaí broke into your house instead of you scumbag neighbours and assaulted you? Would you be OK with that?

Seriously?? Is that even comparable to this case? I'm not sure where you live but where I do, Gardai do not break into random peoples homes and assault them.

I'll re-iterate. The guy had 27 previous convictions and had broken a guards jaw, even to the Fr Sean Healy's of this world, this guy is a pretty bad egg. How are you to know he wasn't resisting arrest or or threatened the gardai who came to arrest him with violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭daltonm

"The jury was discharged by Judge Desmond Hogan on the grounds that certain matters had come to light from the prosecution and ombudsman office.
    The judge said that what had been disclosed was a serious matter and needed to be examined.
    The case has been put back to 10 November for a date to be set for a retrial. "

Actually it looks bad for the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

daltonm wrote: »

"The jury was discharged by Judge Desmond Hogan on the grounds that certain matters had come to light from the prosecution and ombudsman office.
    The judge said that what had been disclosed was a serious matter and needed to be examined.
    The case has been put back to 10 November for a date to be set for a retrial. "

Actually it looks bad for the Gardai.

It's a bit mysterious. Did the gardai try to interfere with a juror?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭daltonm

mike kelly wrote: »
    It's a bit mysterious. Did the gardai try to interfere with a juror?

Or a witness?

yes I dont know why people are thinking the case is dropped, it does look like the gaurds have a lot more to answer for, the ombudsman would not be investigating the alleged scumbag in this case! so anything new found out by the ombudsman would be in relation to the gaurda.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

If the Ombudsman found some new evidence regarding one of the Gardai, then why would the trial collapse? Surely they Ombudsman would want the case to progress with the new evidence, there and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

steddyeddy wrote: »
    yes I dont know why people are thinking the case is dropped, it does look like the gaurds have a lot more to answer for, the ombudsman would not be investigating the alleged scumbag in this case! so anything new found out by the ombudsman would be in relation to the gaurda.

Eh thats not definite. The quote is "The jury was discharged by Judge Desmond Hogan on the grounds that certain matters had come to light from the prosecution and ombudsman office." So it is not just ombudsman, so it may not be in relation the Gardai.

So to all law heads, what kind of issues can come to the prosecutions attention which would cause the trial to collapse?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

If the Ombudsman found some new evidence regarding one of the Gardai, then why would the trial collapse? Surely they Ombudsman would want the case to progress with the new evidence, there and then?

Possibly there are more serious charges, like jury tampering. Wild speculation, but if the jury is nobbled, maybe they have to stop the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Could be any number of reasons, could be information relating to the defendant gardaí, could be in relation to the original investigation, could be in relation to the original accusations, could be in relation to how the book of evidence was prepared, could be in relation to activities by the office of the ombudsman, could be a witness issue, could be anything.........

novemeber the tenth scheduled for re-trial

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't think Irish law allows extra evidence to be found and presented during the trial, sounds too much like a CSI/Law+Order episode.
    As far as I know before the trial starts both sides must have knowledge of all evidence that will be presented?

I don't think Irish law allows extra evidence to be found and presented during the trial, sounds too much like a CSI/Law+Order episode.
    As far as I know before the trial starts both sides must have knowledge of all evidence that will be presented?

unless something is found out which completly changes the nature of the charges, in this case the defense is most likely!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Sounds like they've interfered with a witness or a juror. They really wouldn't throw it out for anything the prosecution or the guy in question could have done.

Advertisement