Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí to stand trial in connection with alleged assault on teenager

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

steddyeddy wrote: »
    fyp until proven guilty

Which they haven't been.

Meaning, they are innocent.

And if the jury finds them innocent for whatever reason, then they will be innocent.
    Regardless of how many of them went where, and what they did to whom.

Our laughable justice system will work both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daveydave25

dirty scumbag gardai, not the first time its happened, i know lots of innocent people that got the ****e knocked out of them by these ****. hope they get sent to the joy. see how tough they are then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

dirty scumbag gardai, not the first time its happened, i know lots of innocent people that got the ****e knocked out of them by these ****. hope they get sent to the joy. see how tough they are then...

Excellent post. So you've seen the accused Gardaí beating people up before. You could be a witness for the prosecution. Or perhaps you mean you've seen all 15,000 Gardaí in the counrty behave like this. It's hard to tell from your post.

Did you know if you hold the shift key when you press a key it becomes a capital letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

i know lots of innocent people that got the ****e knocked out of them by these ****. ..
    Are you implying that the victim in this case is innocent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

slurcher wrote: »
    There have been sweeping statements made on here, like anyone disagreeing with the gardai are lying, drunken, malicious dole scrounging drink driving peedos.

Well isn't that true? The Gardai are Irelands police, her guarians of honesty, decency and safety. everything they do is for a reason, If you disagree with the motives of the gardai, you hate Ireland and are obviously a pedo, because gards arrest the pedos... unless they wear a collar, then meh...

what were we talking about again...

oh yeah, sorry to interrupt the boards.ie bullsh1t chute to ask a real, on topic question, but why did the trial collapes now?

• Advertisement

Spacedog wrote: »
    Well isn't that true? The Gardai are Irelands police, her guarians of honesty, decency and safety. everything they do is for a reason, If you disagree with the motives of the gardai, you hate Ireland and are obviously a pedo, because gards arrest the pedos... unless they wear a collar, then meh...

oh yeah, sorry to interrupt the boards.ie bullsh1t chute to ask a real, on topic question, but why did the trial collapes now?

There are two theories. One is that the victim allegedly offered to withdraw his statement for a sum of money. the second is that the prosecution wish to enter new evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

k_mac wrote: »
    There are two theories. One is that the victim allegedly offered to withdraw his statement for a sum of money. the second is that the prosecution wish to enter new evidence.
    The victim had already given evidence so I don't think it’s possible to withdraw it (I suppose he could say it was mistaken, but he'd be leaving himself open to all sorts of charges).

If it was an unsolicited offer then I can't think why it would derail the trial. If it was solicited, presumably by some or all of the defendants then they would be leaving themselves open to all sorts of charges.

It doesn't add up for me.

Innocent of what? There is no charge being brought against him in relation to this incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Bosco boy wrote: »
    I bet your all perfect and flawless in your own jobs, I bet if all of these garda bashers declared what they do for a living on this forum they wouldnt be too long before being taken apart for its failures, its easy hide behind a computer and throw abuse at one profession because maybe they arrested you for drink driving and you have a gripe, maybe the gaurds seized your last computer cause you were a peadofile and you have a new one and now you want your own back, some of the posts here are valid concerns but most are pathetic and as i said before this is a live trial and in my opinion they have already been denied a fair trial, I'm not saying i support what they are alleged to have done but they deserve a fair trial and this forum is anti that!!!!

smell o' bacon off ya

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

ragg wrote: »
    smell o' bacon off ya

What has working in a slaughter house got to do with anything?

dvpower wrote: »
    The victim had already given evidence so I don't think it’s possible to withdraw it (I suppose he could say it was mistaken, but he'd be leaving himself open to all sorts of charges).

If it was an unsolicited offer then I can't think why it would derail the trial. If it was solicited, presumably by some or all of the defendants then they would be leaving themselves open to all sorts of charges.

It doesn't add up for me.

If it was an unsolicited offer the defence may want to introduce it as evidence as to his credibility.
    darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

And I'm sure it's a well educated and factually based opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

smell o' bacon off ya

Mmmm

So me being a cop's daughter and a cop's wife must really smell of bacon then???

Just for the record guys try and remember if its not too difficult that none of the Gardai involved in this incident have been convicted of anything yet

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Just for the record guys try and remember if its not too difficult that none of the Gardai involved in this incident have been convicted of anything yet
    ... and we should also remember that the alleged victim in this case isn't accused of anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

... and we should also remember that the alleged victim in this case isn't accused of anything.

Not on his most recent visit to court anyway!

Spacedog wrote: »

I'd say your a fine son of mother Ireland alright!

What were we talking about again...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

Bosco boy wrote: »
    I'd say your a fine son of mother Ireland alright!

What were we talking about again...

I think the guy Owen Gaffeny who claimed the gardai beat him up...23 previous convictions and all that....its 24 now... I read in the paper today that he stole a nuns car and rammed it into another car which in turn crashed into a house....

Plus the fact that he was on a suspended sentence for a previous offence meant this sentence was re-enacted and he's now due to serve 2 years in jail...probably has something to do with the stalling of the other case..?

Either way he seems to be a Complete scumbag....those 4 guards should be commended and presented with medals ffs!..its only when scum like this actually kill someone that they get put away...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

those 4 guards should be commended and presented with medals ffs!..its only when scum like this actually kill someone that they get put away...
    But instead, if they are eventually convicted, their careers will most certainly be ended.
    They'll have themselves to blame, but they might also point the finger in the direction of people who ask for them to dole out beatings this but don't have the balls to legislate for it.

But instead, if they are eventually convicted, their careers will most certainly be ended.
    They'll have themselves to blame, but they might also point the finger in the direction of people who ask for them to dole out beatings this but don't have the balls to legislate for it.

Speaking of legislation ...how is a 21 year old with 20 odd convictions still on the streets causing havoc?..maybe a couple of the billions could be spent on a new prison......i understand he has a case but where does common sense come in.....

do not for a second lose sight of the fact that this little scrote could be the guy who breaks into your house at 4 in the morning and then if caught his defence use the bad background or he's trying to get back on track card.....your opinion might be a little different then...

• Advertisement

smell o' bacon off ya

is there an age limit on who can post on boards.ie? Time for bed now!

Speaking of legislation ...how is a 21 year old with 20 odd convictions still on the streets causing havoc?..maybe a couple of the billions could be spent on a new prison......i understand he has a case but where does common sense come in.....

do not for a second lose sight of the fact that this little scrote could be the guy who breaks into your house at 4 in the morning and then if caught his defence use the bad background or he's trying to get back on track card.....your opinion might be a little different then...
    But can you have a stab at how you might see the legislation you want working? Or are you happy to see good gardai being prosecuted for carrying out actions that you condone?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

what exactly was he guilty of ,please remind me again.

But can you have a stab at how you might see the legislation you want working? Or are you happy to see good gardai being prosecuted for carrying out actions that you condone?

You are quite a ridiculous poster....seriously....im not a lawyer....are you telling me that the legislation currently in place is working and is serving the law abiding people in this country?...and that the suspended sentences handed out etc are not very very lenient...and that the scumbag gets more protection than the victim in this country..the powers that be are sitting on their hands...what about mandatory sentencing?..3 strikes and you are out.?...obviously we will need another prison for a start.....example:burglaries in Rathfarnham shot up 60% around the same time a scumbag got early release...system=broken

Obviously the guards have taken the law into their own hands and will be prosecuted....im not disputing this....legally they are accountable....but in my opinion and in this case this guy is vermin...complete vermin...and there are plenty of scum like him on 50 or 60 convictions who walk in and out of the courts on the way to another burglary ....can you take a step back from our quite dated legislation and use a bit of common sense...? to be honest its people like you who have this bleeding heart view that is very detached from real life that infuriates a lot of people...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

martingore wrote: »
    he should be in jail right now, not showing up in court, this person has no respect for the law

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Y

Obviously the guards have taken the law into their own hands and will be prosecuted....im not disputing this....legally they are accountable....but in my opinion and in this case this guy is vermin...complete vermin...and there are plenty of scum like him on 50 or 60 convictions who walk in and out of the courts on the way to another burglary ....can you take a step back from our quite dated legislation and use a bit of common sense...? to be honest its people like you who have this bleeding heart view that is very detached from real life that infuriates a lot of people...:p

You seem to have a very strange defence for what these guards did. Is this type of behaviour - breaking into a flat and beating some young miscreant up in his bed, and consequently dragging the reputation of all gardai through the mud - the way forward for the judicial system?

You are quite a ridiculous poster
    Why do you say that?
    ....seriously....im not a lawyer....are you telling me that the legislation currently in place is working and is serving the law abiding people in this country?
    You don't need to be a lawyer to be able to give a coherent view on how you want a law to operate; lawyers are just technicians in this regard. I only expect you to explain yourself in langauge thats above the level of a rant.

...and that the suspended sentences handed out etc are not very very lenient...and that the scumbag gets more protection than the victim in this country..the powers that be are sitting on their hands...what about mandatory sentencing?..3 strikes and you are out.?...obviously we will need another prison for a start.....example:burglaries in Rathfarnham shot up 60% around the same time a scumbag got early release...system=broken
    Like that ^ rant. This thread is about some cops who are accused of an assault. You need to concentrate on the issue at hand (or explain how we could devise a system where beating up scumbags could be formalised; either would be good for me).
    Obviously the guards have taken the law into their own hands and will be prosecuted....im not disputing this....legally they are accountable....but in my opinion and in this case this guy is vermin...complete vermin...and there are plenty of scum like him on 50 or 60 convictions who walk in and out of the courts on the way to another burglary ....can you take a step back from our quite dated legislation and use a bit of common sense...?
    Whose common sense? Yours? You dont seeem to possess it.
    to be honest its people like you who have this bleeding heart view that is very detached from real life that infuriates a lot of people...
    There you are again; assuming stuff without reason. Nowhere will you see that I have a 'bleeding heart'. I'm not quite sure what the phrase means (I doubt you do either).
    To be honest, you are quite a ridiculous poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I think, dvpower, that the problem a lot of people are having with your posts is that you seem to just assume the Gardai are guilty without actually knowing the facts or having any concrete evidence.You did the same on the thread about the Joyrider claiming assault when he was being arrested.

I've said it before, and will say it again; three squad cars do not turn up outside your house at night for no reason. Nor, as far as I can tell, do gardai randomly barge into your home and beat the lard out you while restraining your family in the bathroom.

If they did enter this young man's home then they must have had good reason. He had a string of convictions, he was known to them. I don't know for sure of course but I'd wager there's more here than meets the eye.

No-one's saying the Gardai are above the law of course. But a little common sense needs to be applied here.

Maybe a better topic would be why this young repeat offender is still on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

The guy is not someone you'd like to be friends with etc., cause he is trouble but at the end of the day we're not living in bloody Iraq or something and no way should the Guards be given a medal. With the amount of corruption we have witnessed in recent times it's really time to restore confidence in the justice system.

What they did was a crime and should be treated as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Jay D wrote: »
    The guy is not someone you'd like to be friends with etc., cause he is trouble but at the end of the day we're not living in bloody Iraq or something and no way should the Guards be given a medal. With the amount of corruption we have witnessed in recent times it's really time to restore confidence in the justice system.

What they did was a crime and should be treated as such.

Have they actually been convicted though? Is there actually evidence they did what they are accused of?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying they could have done it but none of us here can know for sure.

Advertisement