Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí to stand trial in connection with alleged assault on teenager

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Clearly they haven't and yes there's a mountain of evidence against them. Who says that none of us can know for sure? Of course if anything is said, it will be quickly deleted on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I think, dvpower, that the problem a lot of people are having with your posts is that you seem to just assume the Gardai are guilty without actually knowing the facts or having any concrete evidence.You did the same on the thread about the Joyrider claiming assault when he was being arrested.

I've said it before, and will say it again; three squad cars do not turn up outside your house at night for no reason. Nor, as far as I can tell, do gardai randomly barge into your home and beat the lard out you while restraining your family in the bathroom.

If they did enter this young man's home then they must have had good reason. He had a string of convictions, he was known to them. I don't know for sure of course but I'd wager there's more here than meets the eye.

Please read this
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/gardai-locked-mum-in-bathroom-while-beating-her-son-court-told-2386839.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

If they did enter this young man's home then they must have had good reason. He had a string of convictions, he was known to them. I don't know for sure of course but I'd wager there's more here than meets the eye.

I'd wager there's not. The fact he has a string of convictions doesnt excuse entering the home illegally and unlawfully beating him up. The problem you have is that you seem unable to believe that the gardai, who we entrust with much power and our safety, could be capable of such a thing.

The DPP would not be involved in this case if there were some simple explanation or misunderstanding as to why this happened.

Unfortunately in the real world people screw up all the time, and that's why there are mechanisms and systems in place to deal with cases such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Are you implying that the victim in this case is innocent?

yea until proven guilty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

John_Mc wrote: »
    Quite a lot of the time someone is guilty but it cannot be proven, or they get off on a technicality.

Justice is NOT always served... particularly in this country.

That's the way it should be. So called "Technicalities" are there for a reason or else anyone could end up at the mercy of corrupt cops. Look at the whole Donegal McBrearty thing.

A work colleague of mine had his flat burglarized. Among what was taken was a camera. The guards happened to find some sort of wallet or ID outside the door of someone who was known to them. They went to his flat and searched it and arrived back at my colleague's flat with a camera, but my colleague couldn't say for sure it was his camera.The Guard took a kitchen knife and scratched the bottom of the camera and asked again "Are there any distinguishing marks on this camera that would help you recognise that its your camera?" My colleague played along.
    Now when I heard that story I got very suspicious of the fact that the guards just happened to find the wallet or whatever right outside the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Nodin wrote: »

Wow, just read that. If it stands up, they better get a decent sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I think, dvpower, that the problem a lot of people are having with your posts is that you seem to just assume the Gardai are guilty without actually knowing the facts or having any concrete evidence.You did the same on the thread about the Joyrider claiming assault when he was being arrested.
    Can you link to some posts where I make baseless assumptions about their guilt?

On the contrary, I've been very careful not to prejudge them. On that other thread I pointed out again and again that it was on ongoing trial and we didn't have all of the evidence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

That's the way it should be. So called "Technicalities" are there for a reason or else anyone could end up at the mercy of corrupt cops. Look at the whole Donegal McBrearty thing.

A work colleague of mine had his flat burglarized. Among what was taken was a camera. The guards happened to find some sort of wallet or ID outside the door of someone who was known to them. They went to his flat and searched it and arrived back at my colleague's flat with a camera, but my colleague couldn't say for sure it was his camera.The Guard took a kitchen knife and scratched the bottom of the camera and asked again "Are there any distinguishing marks on this camera that would help you recognise that its your camera?" My colleague played along.
    Now when I heard that story I got very suspicious of the fact that the guards just happened to find the wallet or whatever right outside the door.

A quick look at the pictures on the camera would have sorted it! That's if it was a digital camera, I find that strange

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

dvpower wrote: »
    Innocent of what? There is no charge being brought against him in relation to this incident.

Innocent of the charges that were brought against him that have resulted in people labelling him a scumbag. He is not innocent of those charges.
    Or perhaps the poster in question was suggesting that Gaffney is innocent of provoking the Gardaí?
    the bolt wrote:
    what exactly was he guilty of ,please remind me again.
    Twenty seven offences, including, but not limited to, theft, dangerous driving, vandalism, assault and rape.
    yea until proven guilty
    Which he was....twenty seven times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Twenty seven offences, including, but not limited to, theft, dangerous driving, vandalism, assault and rape.

Which he was....twenty seven times.

Nah, how could he have raped someone and carried out 26 other offences if he's not in jail at the moment? We have a fantastic legal system where scumbag career criminals always serve their time.

Surely there's a mistake?

I honestly hope none of the gardai picked up any nasty infections from the scumbag during the alledged assault and I hope this case crumbles, it's the only way justice will be served.

• Advertisement

Yay vigilante beatings! then....great stuff.

Nodin wrote: »
    Yay vigilante beatings! then....great stuff.

Finally.

I thought you'd never come around!

I really think this thread should be closed down, the courts are dealing with this and its still before the courts and i cannot see how boards.ie is any different to any other media outlet which is restricted from commenting on it for fear of predjucing the trial. Fair enough open it up after the trial is over and debate the case, can a mod or anyone explain to me the difference!

Bosco boy wrote: »
    I really think this thread should be closed down, the courts are dealing with this and its still before the courts and i cannot see how boards.ie is any different to any other media outlet which is restricted from commenting on it for fear of predjucing the trial. Fair enough open it up after the trial is over and debate the case, can a mod or anyone explain to me the difference!

Free speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

What about when a 'scumbag' from Drimnagh is on trial for murder?

Why wasn't the thread locked then? Did you also call for such a thread to be locked too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

k_mac wrote: »
    Actually there are a number of reasons a premises can be entered lawfully without a search warrant. The law is far from simple.

Yes but something tells me that this wasn't a hostage situation, a potential suicide or a rescue attempt of any sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Yes but something tells me that this wasn't a hostage situation, a potential suicide or a rescue attempt of any sort.

Thats not what I was referring to.

Not on his most recent visit to court anyway!

And that childish and glib remark is supposed to allude to what exactly?
    What is the point you're making?

Speaking of legislation ...how is a 21 year old with 20 odd convictions still on the streets causing havoc?..maybe a couple of the billions could be spent on a new prison......i understand he has a case but where does common sense come in.....

do not for a second lose sight of the fact that this little scrote could be the guy who breaks into your house at 4 in the morning and then if caught his defence use the bad background or he's trying to get back on track card.....your opinion might be a little different then...

Look Dublinman, FFS, I don't think ANYONE on here denies that this guy is a bollocks and scumbag of the highest order. But there are two types of people on here. Those who are clamouring for it to be acceptable for the gardai to be able to beat up people on their own whim and discretion and those who feel that the gardai should operate withing professional guidelines.
    And stop going down the "personal route" i.e. "what if it was your house/car/daughter this cnut robbed/violated".

I've said it before, and will say it again; three squad cars do not turn up outside your house at night for no reason. Nor, as far as I can tell, do gardai randomly barge into your home and beat the lard out you while restraining your family in the bathroom.

No-one's saying the Gardai are above the law of course. But a little common sense needs to be applied here.

Maybe a better topic would be why this young repeat offender is still on the streets.

They can have all the good reasons they want but without a warrant they are not allowed to enter. No warrant = unlawful entry. Beating victim = assault and battery. Locking his oul one in the jacks = false inprisonment and/or kidnapping.

So to the poster who favours "3 strikes and you're out rule" do you think that these cops should be banged up for 25 years?

• Advertisement

What about when a 'scumbag' from Drimnagh is on trial for murder?

Why wasn't the thread locked then? Did you also call for such a thread to be locked too?

Applies to all live trials! havent noticed a thread on him yet johnny!

And that childish and glib remark is supposed to allude to what exactly?
    What is the point you're making?

If I could make it any simpler for you I would, read over it a few times and it might come to you, maybe when you cool down dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

The guards know whats going on, there is no way they are knocking the ****e out of innocent people...

Locking the mother in the toilet is a fairly minor payback for the trouble her bad parenting has caused society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

cgarrad wrote: »
    Locking the mother in the toilet is a fairly minor payback for the trouble her bad parenting has caused society.
    To call you a troll is the most generous thing I could say about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

cgarrad wrote: »
    The guards know whats going on, there is no way they are knocking the ****e out of innocent people...

lalala, I have no like experience, lalalala...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

They can have all the good reasons they want but without a warrant they are not allowed to enter. No warrant = unlawful entry. Beating victim = assault and battery. Locking his oul one in the jacks = false inprisonment and/or kidnapping.

So to the poster who favours "3 strikes and you're out rule" do you think that these cops should be banged up for 25 years?

If that's what happened then yes of course they should be punished.

But this is a young man who had 20 convictions to his name including rape and assault on a Garda so I truely find it difficult to believe they arrived at his home randomly and beat him up for no reason while holding his mother against her will.

Besides as a woman I think any man convicted of rape deserves nothing less a smacking around.

But this is a young man who had 20 convictions to his name including rape and assault on a Garda so I truely find it difficult to believe they arrived at his home randomly and beat him up for no reason while holding his mother against her will.

Allegedly, the ring leading Garda tried to break up a scuffle involving Gaffney whilst off duty the previous night, and got a few slaps for his trouble.

Somebody passed comment about members of the gang Gaffney (and possibly Gaffney himself) is in, following local Gardaí home and informing the Gardaí that 'I know where you live etc..'
    But this unsubstantiated.

If that's what happened then yes of course they should be punished.

Besides as a woman I think any man convicted of rape deserves nothing less a smacking around.

Did you read the article from the independent I posted, or did you avoid it for fear facts would impede your ranting abilities?

Allegedly, the ring leading Garda tried to break up a scuffle involving Gaffney whilst off duty the previous night, and got a few slaps for his trouble.

Somebody passed comment about members of the gang Gaffney (and possibly Gaffney himself) is in, following local Gardaí home and informing the Gardaí that 'I know where you live etc..'
    But this unsubstantiated.

Would you at least limit the speculative crap you post to whats been in the papers?

• Advertisement

Why?

Are papers infallable?

Advertisement