Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí to stand trial in connection with alleged assault on teenager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

msjones1 wrote: »
    but how do we stop jurors readind this??

.....who knows? As long as nothing is mentioned other than whats already come up in court, I can't see it making a feck of a difference anyway.

no just that there is alot of speculations going on here.

....just to clarify, you're the person whose first post on this thread was deleted as it was an entirely inappropriate anecdote claiming inside knowledge of 'what really went on', aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

but how do we stop jurors readind this??
    "We" don't. Jurors themselves display restraint and character. It's like asking how do we stop jurors from talking to their OH about the case without locking up each and every Jury? It just does not happen.

What we Can do however is stop people from posting "inside knowledge". We stick to whats been published in the news/media here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

mmmmm no a view i have coz i know what really happened. and wat you have read in the press sofar is just what gaffney has said. since when do we have trial by press

I am just curious to know, have you gone to the relevant authorities if you witnessed the event???

fair (.......)pisture.

....but did you go to the proper authorities with this information of yours?

• Advertisement

If you truly know what occured on that evening, you would have had to witness the event first hand. So if you have done so, why are you not a witness in the trial.

Other than that, the closest legitimate claim you can make is "I do not believe the version of events claimed by the youth and his mother, but rather those given by the Gardaí involved"

I was not there. I am aware of the young mans convictions, and I am aware of the attitude of some Gardaí, therefore, my statement in this is, the Gardaí illegally entered the house, against the will of a person held her captive, while assaulting an unarmed person. All of which, if done by a person of An Garda Síochana, would have resulted in this case getting minimal paper time, and the sentencing would have already taken place.

i wrote what i knew about this case

...here, in an entirely inappropriate setting (given that theres a second trial coming up ) where it is quite rightly deleted. Then, in a turnaround normally associated with roads to Damascus, you suddenly say theres too much "speculation" and think "this whole discussion should be blocked". Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 msjones1

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    If you truly know what occured on that evening, you would have had to witness the event first hand. So if you have done so, why are you not a witness in the trial.

Other than that, the closest legitimate claim you can make is "I do not believe the version of events claimed by the youth and his mother, but rather those given by the Gardaí involved"

I was not there. I am aware of the young mans convictions, and I am aware of the attitude of some Gardaí, therefore, my statement in this is, the Gardaí illegally entered the house, against the will of a person held her captive, while assaulting an unarmed person. All of which, if done by a person of An Garda Síochana, would have resulted in this case getting minimal paper time, and the sentencing would have already taken place.

well if thats what you you belive fair play but your in for a surprise

Nodin wrote: »
    ...here, in an entirely inappropriate setting (given that theres a second trial coming up ) where it is quite rightly deleted. Then, in a turnaround normally associated with roads to Damascus, you suddenly say theres too much "speculation" and think "this whole discussion should be blocked". Great stuff.

if i made a mistake in putting what i first said on here i will hold my hands up... but i still think sum of the stuff on here is prejudice

well if thats what you you belive fair play but your in for a surprise

TBH I do not care in the slightest for the result of this trial for I already know the outcome will ensure the gardaí will continue to work and it will be a matter of time before the youth misbehaves again and the claims against the gardaí are shunned completely.

And to enter someones home without a search warrant and to restrain someone in there even if they are violent towards you is illegal, so for those two occurances alone, without assault, the Gardaí should be held up for it.

I would be interested to see what would have happened had the youth and his mother had the protection of the new defence of person and property law that is currently being sorted.

• Advertisement

i wrote what i knew about this case
    If you have something credible to say about the case, why don't you take it to a member of the Press? Boards is not the place for it.

Overheal wrote: »
    If you have something credible to say about the case, why don't you take it to a member of the Press? Boards is not the place for it.

i just wud like to say that i never passed comment on what was allaged to have happened my comment was on why the trail collapsed. my comment was on disclosure of evidence and why there is an investigation into the collapse. there is allegations on this thread of juror tampering, witness been paid to drop the case and even rape........

i just wud like to say that i never passed comment on what was allaged to have happened my comment was on why the trail collapsed. my comment was on disclosure of evidence and why there is an investigation into the collapse. there is allegations on this thread of juror tampering, witness been paid to drop the case and even rape........
    Aaaaand all of that is unsubstantiated hoopblah unless of course you actually know something and if you do you would take it to someone in the media. You know that newspapers pay money to sources and leads for information? I know, it's madness.

Overheal wrote: »
    Aaaaand all of that is unsubstantiated hoopblah unless of course you actually know something and if you do you would take it to someone in the media. You know that newspapers pay money to sources and leads for information? I know, it's madness.

madness i agree:) but it will be out in papers in due course, and no not by me, i just wanted to put the other side out there as there is alot of mad theories going around.

madness i agree:) but it will be out in papers in due course, and no not by me, i just wanted to put the other side out there as there is alot of mad theories going around.
    then unless you have an article to quote, you're spreading disinformation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/assault-charge-gardai-for-retrial-next-june-481240.html

Four gardaí accused of beating a young man with batons after breaking into his flat have been sent forward for a retrial at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
    Gardaí Sean O’Leary, Eoin Murtagh, Alan Conlon and Claire Delaney had pleaded not guilty at the previous trial to forcing entry to a Basin Street Upper premises, entering as trespassers and assaulting Mr Owen Gaffney (aged 21) causing him harm on February 17, 2008.
    Gda Murtagh, Gda Conlon and Gda Delaney had also pleaded not guilty to the false imprisonment of Fidelma Gaffney on the same occasion.
    Gardaí O’Leary, Murtagh and Delaney are based in Kilmainham Garda Station and Gda Conlon is based at Kevin Street Garda Station.
    Judge Katherine Delahunt set a date in June 2011 for the retrial after the previous case collapsed due to legal difficulties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Well that gives them another 8 months to box the head off Gaffney a few more times.

Well that gives them another 8 months to box the head off Gaffney a few more times.
    His civil case might be settled by then.

dvpower wrote: »
    His civil case might be settled by then.

i think the trial has to take place first before a civil case can be heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Lorcan78

No one should be above the law , these pigs need to be made an example of and locked away for whatever time suitable for the crimes they have committed , they should be locked up with the general population alongside the rest of the prisoners , cause let's face it , they are one and the same and deserve to be treated like dog's ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Lorcan78 wrote: »
    No one should be above the law , these pigs need to be made an example of and locked away for whatever time suitable for the crimes they have committed , they should be locked up with the general population alongside the rest of the prisoners , cause let's face it , they are one and the same and deserve to be treated like dog's ....

Fantastic contribution.

No one should be above the law
    Yeah, that's right. We need to apply the law evenly to everyone.
    these pigs need to be made an example of and locked away for whatever time suitable for the crimes they have committed , they should be locked up with the general population alongside the rest of the prisoners , cause let's face it , they are one and the same and deserve to be treated like dog's ....
    Yeah, that's right. Screw the law. Lock these pigs up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Probably wanted to be like Detective Jerry Lynch...

Hate your opponent, Hate him!... and you'll never give less than a hundred percent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

We'll try this again.

The convictions that someone has in the past DOES NOT ALLOW FOR MEMBERS OF THE POLICE FORCE TO ENTER HIS HOME AND BEAT HIM.

Can you not get that into your head? Why are you bringing up his past convictions? Why does ANYONE on here think that when you commit a crime, are tried, convicted and sentenced, serve the sentence and are released that you are automatically on the list of those people who can have his door knocked down and his head kicked in by the gardai at any time of their choosing at any point in your life?

I never said it excused what happened. I was making the point that he was not the poor innocent young lad who never did anything wrong that people here seem to be making out he was.

If he is the same Eoin Gaffney I read about in the paper online then he is a member of drug gang and total thug. Not to mention he assaulted and broke the jaw of a female Garda.

I personally have little sympathy for any man who assaults a woman.

Can we please stop trying to delude ourselves the Gardai are now targeting innocent law-abiding citzens just to make themselves feel more powerful
    I'll say this once more. There were no planned arrests or raids for this area on the night in question and there was no warrant issued for anyone's arrest OR for their premises to be searched. Can you not understand that?

Has that actually been confirmed or is it merely what the Defence is claiming?
    And they didn't randomly target his house. Where did you get that idea?

From the way it is being talked about in this thread. People seemed to think the Gardai randomly decided to enter this innoncent young lad's house for no reason.

I find it hard to believe they didn't have a motive even if it is a questionable one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Just wondering where the evidence in this case is coming from? Is it just the dangerous scumbag and the woman who raised the dangerous scumbag who are claiming an unprovoked beating? Could be tricky getting a conviction in that case.

Obviously if the Gardai in question did carry out a random beating of the guy on his bed, they should be in major trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

k_mac wrote: »
    Fantastic contribution.

firstly i presume you're missing this:rolleyes:

secondly i agree with most of what was said in the previous post,his contribution was 'fantastic' in comparison to your's

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭RAH1

any word on this case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

See post #707 above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

I never said it excused what happened. I was making the point that he was not the poor innocent young lad who never did anything wrong that people here seem to be making out he was.

If he is the same Eoin Gaffney I read about in the paper online then he is a member of drug gang and total thug. Not to mention he assaulted and broke the jaw of a female Garda.

I personally have little sympathy for any man who assaults a woman.

Can we please stop trying to delude ourselves the Gardai are now targeting innocent law-abiding citzens just to make themselves feel more powerful

2 wrongs dont make a right Audrey

\

• Advertisement

In this case, they do.

Advertisement