Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí to stand trial in connection with alleged assault on teenager

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Degsy wrote: »
    You're all saying the bloke didnt do owt to deserve a baiting from the cops and i'm saying He bloody well must have!
    Here's a hint
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/nine-gardai-face-investigation-over-claim-of-serious-assault-1311598.html

"A source said an off-duty garda, aged in his 20s, had been assaulted by a man from the south-inner city the previous night. Although the assault was not considered serious and not reported, it is believed to have sparked off the confrontation the following evening in Basin St. "

He assaulted a guard by the looks of it.

Why was that?

Why didn't the garda grab him then and haul him away?

A minor assault met with a 9 man beating the next day with batons, and thats better than arrest and processing? By the sounds of it, the biggest scumbags here were the gardai involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me who the f*ck Lugs Brannigan is ?!

Old Ireland in a nutshell. He was a cop up in Dublin who liked to box. To some a hero and to others thug.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

So even IF the lad had convictions, he suddenly can be beaten on any subsequent occasion? He may well be a scummer, I'll give you that, but your reaction to him possibly being a scummer is saying its ok for 9 gardai to form a punishment beating posse? This is unreal.

Maybe he wanted to be a big man about it,maybe he decided to issue threats aginst the guard or his family,maybe he threatened to have him "blown away" or "cut up"..i'm speculating of course.
    So maybe the guards said "Right,the courts cant bring him under control,lets see how he likes it if one of us challenges him to a straightener in his house"
    I'm still speculating..
    So anyway,the cops call round,the bloke starts mouthing off and a scuffle breaks out,suddenly mr mouthy hasnt got the heart for a fight so he starts bleating that he's being assaulted and the mother fights the corner.
    Now,i've made all this up of course but if it did happen like that,its most certainly the bloke's fault and yes,the guards shouldve dealt with the matter through the proper channels but its only human to feel frustration occasionaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

You're all saying the bloke didnt do owt to deserve a baiting from the cops and i'm saying He bloody well must have!
    Here's a hint
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/nine-gardai-face-investigation-over-claim-of-serious-assault-1311598.html

"A source said an off-duty garda, aged in his 20s, had been assaulted by a man from the south-inner city the previous night. Although the assault was not considered serious and not reported, it is believed to have sparked off the confrontation the following evening in Basin St. "

He assauted a guard by the looks of it.

Unconfirmed and unknown "source", more than likely another made up source by that shítty newspaper or one of the nine Gardai actually involved, who knows ? By all acounts, going on the actions of the Gardai involved and now under criminal investigation, there's more to go on reading between the lines to say the man was assaulted by the off duty Garda but fought back, probably hit him a couple of digs. Garda didn't like it, rounded up his band of thugs the next day and piled into the blokes house. Thugs, scumbags, criminals - Templemore is doing a great job at letting them all in, sure we'll all be grand with those fella's watching over us. Tell you what, sure why not bring back the Republican vigilante groups to dish out their punishment beatings to whomever ? I honestly see no difference between the two if this is permitted and all of those responsible go unpunished...

Why not just come straight out and say it Degsy ? That the bloke in question was from a deprived area of Dublin and therefore in your mind must be a scumbag and deserved his beating whether he was innocent or not ?
    I mean what is it ? Did a load of lads from Dublin laugh at your red hair or something and bring about this forever hate of anyone from a so called deprived area of Dublin ? What did they do to you to make you hate them so much ?

Your right wing views on immigrants, non whites, anyone fereign or indeed anyone now from Dublin it seems, I find seriously disturbing.

Is there a secret culchie nazi league going on here ? :confused:

@degsy: Of course it is, and thats why people as individuals can't be allowed to dole out 'street justice'. Gardai least of all with the weight of public responsibility and order on their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

"..i'm speculating of course.
    I'm still speculating..
    i've made all this up of course...

Congrats, you win not just this thread but the whole of the interwebs. Good job !

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Congrats, you win not just this thread but the whole of the interwebs. Good job !

But that was the intro to his concession, "yes,the guards shouldve dealt with the matter through the proper channels but its only human to feel frustration occasionaly. "

I'm a culchie?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

But that was the intro to his concession, "yes,the guards shouldve dealt with the matter through the proper channels but its only human to feel frustration occasionaly. "

You can't seriously be equating several members of An Garda Síochána taking on a single man in an unlawful manner with "feeling frustrated" to justify it? If they actually did the actions of which they're accused then they're a disgrace to the force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

I think that this is disgraceful. 4 Gardai should not have to stand trial for giving a person from a lower social ecconomic group an alleged hideing. It's just not right. The Gards should be able to do what ever they like.

gardi tried it with me, im from a normal background , hit me for nothing, i swong back, they took me to court, i counter sued and got them fired.

In hale, exhale at least im not in jail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

I think guards should be aloud to use force, they should be aloud to smack us around if we are out of line, what power do they have without that force? We get away with murder over here.. Countries that use force have more order imo. Im not sayin Id love a good beating from the guards but I blame the lack of it for us, myself included being such cheeky bastards!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

S.I.R wrote: »
    gardi tried it with me, im from a normal background , hit me for nothing, i swong back, they took me to court, i counter sued and got them fired.
    That eh... didn't happen, did it?

Nappy wrote: »
    Countries that use force have more order imo.

I could be wrong but I'm guessing you've never lived in a country that uses more force?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

These threads on AH terrify me.

Can I just ask a question to everyone that bemoans our justice system as being too soft and wants to see the guards be allowed impose physical beatings. What country's justice system would you most like Ireland to have? I'm not trying to be smart here, I'm genuinely curious.

Obviously no country has it perfect, but which one is the closest to the one you would like to see, that you know of?

After all, if our system is to change, short of Ireland inventing a new revolutionary judicial system on its own, were going to need a model to at least loosely base ours on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm a culchie?
    :confused:

Okay, I get it that not being from Dublin would be horrible or whatever but surely being called a Nazi would be somewhat worse than "culchie?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Okay, I get it that not being from Dublin would be horrible or whatever but surely being called a Nazi would be somewhat worse than "culchie?"

The nazis never took over dublin, the culchies however have occupied Dublin every December 8th since 1956

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Lets say you were on your own? I'd end you, end of story, FYI.

Srsly though, there was a lively, healthy debate going on here. Then you arrived and brought an air of aggression to the proceedings, we COULD spend the night volleying posts back and forth I seem to be the calm one here so tell ya what, go get the radox (muscle soak), light some candles and slunk down into a pipng hot bath...let all your aggression just melt away. Then come back and post a little in the cuckoo nest and tomorrow you'll be ready to champion a new day.

You'll still be wrong tomorrow though, and still missing the point no matter how obvious it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

" Although the assault was not considered serious and not reported, it is believed to have sparked off the confrontation the following evening in Basin St. "

So he did nothing worth reporting, yet deserved a visit by 9 Gardai?
    Now,i've made all this up of course

Thats a given, really.

Nodin wrote: »

It's very hard for city cops the world over not to develop an 'us' and 'them' attitude due to the anonymity of big towns where all sense of community has broken down. That quite naturally leads to behaviour like this. To stop it entirely you'd need to reprogram the monkey we are.

I have to say though that even in the big shmoke Irish cops rank as some of the most mellow I've ever come across even if they can be a bit crooked sometimes. That's just a reflection of the society at large. If these guards have stepped out of line they'll be brought to book for it.

I've been in places where cops go around killing even innocent people with total impunity. We should actually be grateful for the ones we have, they put their lives on the line for us every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    I've been in places where cops go around killing even innocent people with total impunity.

You've obviously lived in London then.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »

He wanted to play big boys games but not by big boys rules.
    He got a beating and went whinging to report it,he wanted his cake and to be able to eat it too.

My 50 euro wager still stands by the way although if you havnt got the money,butter vouchers will be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

javaboy wrote: »
    Because if he's going to accuse someone of being a criminal in a published medium, he should make sure it's true.

c'mon now, dont broaden out the argument when it suits, no names were mentioned in this thread and it's as much about the principal as any individual case.

If he's scum.... if he's guilty of some crime... if they have any evidence to indicate that... why wasn't he arrested? Why wasn't he charged with anything?

Because, he could have been a piece of dirt and the guards could have wanted to remove the stain from the street because this piece could/would stick a knife in you tomorrow for your Ipod.

Do you really want the Gardaí to have carte blanche to decide when the law should be applied and when they should just dish out their own vigilante justice? You don't think that could lead to anything dodgy?

Absolutely not do I think it should be a vigilante state but I do welcome gurriers getting a pummeling with a bag of oranges now and again.

Yours and a few others attitudes here are so god damn righteous, try feeling like that after you've been mugged twice in your life (once at knifepoint and once at syringe point)

My opinion is not solely based on this particular case, it's based on the fact that there is a torrent of scum circulating through society. The 'law' is funnier to them then not having 4 children by the age of 18. There should be one law for us and another for them (which includes beatings) because they perceive the risk of the crime to be less then the severity of the punishment.

Fair enough, you people in the PC brigade will be up in arms that I mentioned beatings so what about chain gangs, forced labour, I bet half the cnuts would think twice about committing crimes if they were sent cutting turf in Offaly...but for a start at least take TV's and Pool tables out of prisons for fcuk sake. It's camp Krusty in prison for them.

This is what I believe, no amount of rebuttals will sway me (as they will all have the inane 'why wasnt he arrested' argument)

Yep,the "why wasnt he arrested" bit is starting to wear a bit thin.
    He got beaten up for assaulting a guard and then he ran off to the guards to make a complaint like the weasel he is.
    As for ways of dealing with these people,this guy has the right idea
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

He got a beating and went whinging to report it,he wanted his cake and to be able to eat it too..

More waffle.
    He got beaten up for assaulting a guard ..

If he committed an assault worthy of the name, why wasn't he arrested?

You'll still be wrong tomorrow though, and still missing the point no matter how obvious it is.

Did you enjoy your bath?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Once again you fail to see the difference between asserting that he is innocent and refuting the assertion that he is guilty.

Can you please quote the posts where people have said he was innocent or didn't do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Degsy, like I asked above, which country's policy on law enforcement and judicial system would you like Ireland's to most resemble?

A country, rather than a renegade hick sheriff.

He got a beating and went whinging to report it,he wanted his cake and to be able to eat it too.

Yep he wanted to have his cake and eat it. If the assault allegations are true he wanted to ignore/break the law when it suited him and use it when it suited him. Absolutely despicable behaviour I'm sure you'll agree?
    My 50 euro wager still stands by the way although if you havnt got the money,butter vouchers will be accepted.

Your wager completely misses the point though. Nobody is arguing that the kid is a decent skin. We're simply saying that we don't know yet. If it turns out he has previous convictions that doesn't make us wrong.

c'mon now, dont broaden out the argument when it suits, no names were mentioned in this thread and it's as much about the principal as any individual case.

I'm sure the name will come out eventually. I just don't want to have to go back through this thread editing and deleting libellous posts if and when that happens.
    Because, he could have been a piece of dirt and the guards could have wanted to remove the stain from the street because this piece could/would stick a knife in you tomorrow for your Ipod.

Yes of course. But aren't the courts supposed to decide that and not individual members of the gardai?
    Absolutely not do I think it should be a vigilante state but I do welcome gurriers getting a pummeling with a bag of oranges now and again.

That's a big contradiction there. There are no half measures. We are either turning a blind eye to vigilantism or we're not.
    Yours and a few others attitudes here are so god damn righteous, try feeling like that after you've been mugged twice in your life (once at knifepoint and once at syringe point)

Mugged once. Beaten up for no good reason once. The mugging was at hammerpoint. I still don't condone vigilantism especially from those charged with upholding the law.
    My opinion is not solely based on this particular case, it's based on the fact that there is a torrent of scum circulating through society. The 'law' is funnier to them then not having 4 children by the age of 18. There should be one law for us and another for them (which includes beatings) because they perceive the risk of the crime to be less then the severity of the punishment.

Fair enough, you people in the PC brigade will be up in arms that I mentioned beatings so what about chain gangs, forced labour, I bet half the cnuts would think twice about committing crimes if they were sent cutting turf in Offaly...but for a start at least take TV's and Pool tables out of prisons for fcuk sake. It's camp Krusty in prison for them.

Thanks for pigeonholing me into a little PC brigade box there but I actually happen to agree with a lot of what you say. Once they've been arrested, given due process and found guilty, the sentences should be longer, the time should be hard and the tvs and so on should be removed.
    This is what I believe, no amount of rebuttals will sway me (as they will all have the inane 'why wasnt he arrested' argument)

Nobody's answered it yet. That's why it keeps getting asked.

• Advertisement

Yes of course. But aren't the courts supposed to decide that and not individual members of the gardai?

In an idealistic world yes but policing/justice systems throughout the world are inefficient as it is not an exact science
    That's a big contradiction there. There are no half measures. We are either turning a blind eye to vigilantism or we're not.

To me a vigilante is a common citizen taking the law into their own hands.

A guard doing it ,is doing a 'nixer' for society...to me I dont care that is against the law because they have our best interests at heart...they are on our team.

Mugged once.

I win :pac:

Thanks for pigeonholing me into a little PC brigade box there but I actually happen to agree with a lot of what you say. Once they've been arrested, given due process and found guilty, the sentences should be longer, the time should be hard and the tvs and so on should be removed.

Great, some common ground.

I too can see the reasoning behind your argument but once the individual is arrested and goes into the 'system', it is from that moment on that they become protected and they once again stick two fingers up at us all.

I have to careful as I dont want to rant about the justice system, at the the end of the day it's great to see scumbags getting hurt. Whether it be self inflicted, scum to scum violence or and, the most satisfying from a guard.

I'll agree that from the eyes of the law it is wrong but morally, from the eyes of the reasonable man I and Degs and the like are right.

Advertisement