Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí to stand trial in connection with alleged assault on teenager

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

you ****ing ejits are riddled with a disease

Banned for personal abuse.

I think that this is disgraceful. 4 Gardai should not have to stand trial for giving a person from a lower social ecconomic group an alleged hideing. It's just not right. The Gards should be able to do what ever they like.

From Breaking news.ie
    Four gardaí will stand trial after allegedly assaulting a teenager, a court heard today.

Garda Alan Conlon, Garda Claire Delaney, Garda Eoin Murtagh and Garda Sean O’Leary, who are all based in Dublin city centre, have been charged with assault causing harm and forcible entry.

Three of the accused are also charged with false imprisonment.

The charges relate to an incident at Basin Street flats in the south inner city on February 17, 2008 where the teenager’s mother alleged her son was attacked and a complaint was later made to the Garda Ombudsman.

All four appeared briefly before Dublin District Court, where they were served with the Book of Evidence.

Judge Eamon O’Brien, who sent the defendants forward for trial at the next sitting of Dublin’s Circuit Criminal Court in June, ordered the addresses of the gardai not to be disclosed.
    You're a crazy person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

You're a crazy person.
    sarcasm

Dictionary: sar·casm (sär'kăz'əm) pron.gif

Sponsored Links
    GQ Jokes
    100s of hilarious jokes, updated every day!
    www.gqmagazine.co.uk

Home > Library > Literature & Language > Dictionary

n.
    1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
    2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
    3. The use of sarcasm. See synonyms at wit1.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

sarcasm

Dictionary: sar·casm (sär'kăz'əm) pron.gif

Sponsored Links
    GQ Jokes
    100s of hilarious jokes, updated every day!
    www.gqmagazine.co.uk

Home > Library > Literature & Language > Dictionary

n.
    1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
    2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
    3. The use of sarcasm. See synonyms at wit1.

un·clearspeaker.gif (ŭn-klîr') dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif
    adj. un·clear·er, un·clear·est
    Not clearly defined; not explicit.
    unclear

c.1300, "not easy to understand," from un- (1) "not" + clear (adj.). Cf. M.Du. onclaer, Du. onklaar, Ger. unklar, O.N. uklarr, Dan. uklar, Swed. oklar. Of persons, in sense of "uncertain, doubtful," it is recorded from 1671

I like this game!

Zadkiel wrote: »
    un·clearspeaker.gif (ŭn-klîr') dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif
    adj. un·clear·er, un·clear·est
    Not clearly defined; not explicit.
    unclear

c.1300, "not easy to understand," from un- (1) "not" + clear (adj.). Cf. M.Du. onclaer, Du. onklaar, Ger. unklar, O.N. uklarr, Dan. uklar, Swed. oklar. Of persons, in sense of "uncertain, doubtful," it is recorded from 1671

I like this game!

Then you should also see Irony

Definition:

The use of words to convey the opposite of their literal meaning; a statement or situation where the meaning is contradicted by the appearance or presentation of the idea. Three kinds of irony are commonly recognized:
    1. Verbal irony is a trope in which the intended meaning of a statement differs from the meaning that the words appear to express.
    2. Irony of situation involves an incongruity between what is expected or intended and what actually occurs.
    3. Dramatic irony is an effect produced by a narrative in which the audience knows more about present or future circumstances than a character in the story.

• Advertisement

Degsy should have a look at the last 2 posted definitions as his arguments have elements of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 xboxhead

Degsy wrote: »
    More than likely he injured himself whilst putting up a violent struggle.
    I've seen the way these dirtbags lose the rag when they're cornered,foaming at the mouth and struggling like lunatics.
    If he'd gone quietly,he wouldnt have got hurt and if he was innocent they wouldnt have been there in the first place!!!

er nooo, there were messages in the gards fone proving he said something the night before they went around gave him a hiding ,what you just cant take the fact what evidence is there is what happened whoo a scumbag got a few gards suspended and brought to court get over it its nothing to what upper class bank managers and politicians do the scumbags arent making a mark to the **** ups and **** happening to this country over the so called good people,yous wouldnt see whats realy happening if it was being showed to you on the news,yous wouldnt know the first thing about what gards do neither iv seen so called upper class get a hiding off them for nothing most people on here havnt the slightest clue what there talking about,seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

xboxhead banned and stephens770's ban extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

The case is back in the news again.
    Four gardaí held a woman in the bathroom of her flat while they beat her teenage son in another room, a court heard today.

Officers Alan Conlon, Claire Delaney, Eoin Murtagh and Sean O’Leary are charged with assault causing harm, forcible entry and trespass at the inner city Dublin home on February 17 2008.

All four, who are suspended from the force, were accused of entering the Basin Street flats near St James’s Hospital on that Sunday afternoon without a warrant.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court was told the gardaí used a baton to beat Owen Gaffney, aged 17 at the time, and kicked and punched him.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-held-woman-in-flat-while-son-was-beaten-478322.html#ixzz12qdrcPXi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

1968 wrote: »

If this is true they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law... of course they are members of the gs so will probably only get a slap on the wrist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

1968 wrote: »

It looks like there is a fair bit of evidence against them. DNA evidence; medical evidence; a recording on a mobile phone and some witness evidence from other Gardai.

The Gardai are getting a lot of bad press for this type of thing lately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

The toll of dealing with these scobes by the book and having a judge throw out every case because poor little Anto was neglected as a sprog and he deserves a sixth or seventh chance is finally getting to some police officers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

If its scumbags who gives a f*ck, cause i sure don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

deserves a sixth or seventh chance is finally getting to some police officers.

sixth or seventh?
    There are teenagers about with over thirty convictions

Did the teenager in this case has a record?

Anyway, it's looking bad for the four gardai, a lot of evidence against them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

sixth or seventh?
    There are teenagers about with over thirty convictions

Ah but the poor flowers have 'problems' and are 'disadvantaged. We should help them by letting them be beyond the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dvpower wrote: »
    some witness evidence from other Gardai.
    There are four Gardai, but other Gardai somehow saw what they did. Fishy.

Anyhoos, some Gardai are scumbags, but you get scum in every job in the world. What scumbags are quickly learning is that they can steal, rape, maim, kill, etc, and once they're from a bad background (or just claim insanity for a few weeks), they'll get off scot-free.

Seems the Gardai had other ideas, and bet the living crap out of one of them. I would like to know how many convections he had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

We'll need cops like this tombreak the pickets when the strikes come
    Look at France ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭depaly

I carry no brief for the scumbags.
    However, in some cases, the Guards are hiding
    and looking the other way when serious stuff
    is going on - and using the baton when 'the proper
    respect' hasn't been shown.....
    I can only talk in generalities, and there are good and
    bad in every organization.
    The Guards have done terrific work recently with the
    Real IRA and drugs gangs, for example.
    But the uniform and badge also gives them a lot of
    power, which can be abused.
    If they take a dislike to you, for whatever reason,
    they have the power to make things very uncomfortable
    for that person.
    We don't know the full background to this case, as
    things stand.
    I do know one thing.
    None of the Guards will spend a day in jail.
    They can beat people on video, and still get off
    very lightly.
    There are usually minimal consequences.
    So, they are protected and priveleged, to that
    extent.
    With privileges, comes responsibility and the
    need for proper discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

what happens when a scumbag joins the gards?

...they instanty get the support of every idiot on boards.ie

it is in the culture of the gards to cover each others arses before their oath to enforce the rule of irish law. it's what they look for in the entrance exam interview. it's what they instill in training, it is necessary for them to do a difficult job, BUT it lets the scumbag gards with an axe to grind gang up on a kid 4v1.

the_syco wrote: »
    There are four Gardai, but other Gardai somehow saw what they did. Fishy.
    I think there was a suggestion that there were some trainees left outside the flat.
    Anyhoos, some Gardai are scumbags, but you get scum in every job in the world. What scumbags are quickly learning is that they can steal, rape, maim, kill, etc, and once they're from a bad background (or just claim insanity for a few weeks), they'll get off scot-free.
    We should probably keep scumbags out of our law enforcement services.
    Seems the Gardai had other ideas, and bet the living crap out of one of them. I would like to know how many convections he had.
    What bearing does his number of convictions have? It is illegal to beat up people regardless of the number of convictions they have.

• Advertisement

karlog wrote: »
    If its scumbags who gives a f*ck, cause i sure don't.
    The state (who are prosecuting this case) do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

dvpower wrote: »

What bearing does his number of convictions have? It is illegal to beat up people regardless of the number of convictions they have.

Perhaps the poster isn't suggesting that it's ok for Gardaí to break the law, rather he would prefer the laws be changed to decriminalise the use of force by Gardaí, or atleast allow the Gardaí to reserve judgment on whether it should be used or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Use of force by Gardai is ok if circumstances allow for it, if it is required. However even if the person is a little thug, that does not give the right to Gardai (usually complete idiots, the majority of Gaurds are an embarrassment to this country when compared with foreign police forces) to be above the law, and be allowed to beat people for no reason. What happens if they think somebody is a ‘scumbag’ and beat him or her and they get it wrong?

Im not rallying behind little scumbag bollixes, but i think the Gardai have some notion they are a respected police force in this country, and as a result are entitled to beat people up. I hope the little scumbag if he has broken any laws faces justice, and i hope these scumbag gaurds and any other scumbag members face justice if they ever break it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I love how some people are automatically assuming the Gardai in the wrong with there actually being any evidence either way. Although consider the attitude to the Police in this country I can't say I'm surprised.

Now I obviously don't know the facts anymore than anyone else but I will say three squad cars don't just turn outside your house at night for no reason. I refuse to believe that they would just randomly decide to enter the house and beat up a young man for no reason either.

I don't agree with violence at all but I do think that there is a section of society for whom violence and getting tough is the language they understand. Please note I am not saying every working class person here, but there is a certain sector that responds only to violence and terror.

If it's true the Gardai should be punished but if it is the Mother and Son should also be punished to the full extent of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I love how some people are automatically assuming the Gardai in the wrong with there actually being any evidence either way. Although consider the attitude to the Police in this country I can't say I'm surprised.

Now I obviously don't know the facts anymore than anyone else but I will say three squad cars don't just turn outside your house at night for no reason. I refuse to believe that they would just randomly decide to enter the house and beat up a young man for no reason either.

I don't agree with violence at all but I do think that there is a section of society for whom violence and getting tough is the language they understand. Please note I am not saying every working class person here, but there is a certain sector that responds only to violence and terror.

If it's true the Gardai should be punished but if it is the Mother and Son should also be punished to the full extent of the law.

Very well put.

/discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Very well put.

/discussion.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

This thread (and forum) actually makes me crack up, so let me get this straight...

Its ok to beat scumbags up and the Gardai to get away with it....(i don’t agree with scumbags getting away scot free before im accused of it, i just think the Gaurds are a joke) and for people to suggest its ok because its the only language they understand.....

BUT when i suggest that the Provisional IRA were and always were right to be involved in an armed campaign against an evil British regime in this country as violence is the only language the Brits understood, im called a terrorist supporter??

I give up on boards, i really don’t get it lol

Again i think a scumbag deserves a good slap if hes out of line, just not three squad car loads of them to do it. The Gardai have no respect in this country because they fail alot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

This thread (and forum) actually makes me crack up, so let me get this straight...

Its ok to beat scumbags up and the Gardai to get away with it....(i don’t agree with scumbags getting away scot free before im accused of it, i just think the Gaurds are a joke) and for people to suggest its ok because its the only language they understand.....

BUT when i suggest that the Provisional IRA were and always were right to be involved in an armed campaign against an evil British regime in this country as violence is the only language the Brits understood, im called a terrorist supporter??

I give up on boards, i really don’t get it lol

Again i think a scumbag deserves a good slap if hes out of line, just not three squad car loads of them to do it. The Gardai have no respect in this country because they fail alot of people.

Logic unfortunately sometimes does not exsist exist here, but keep hanging around and you'll see lot's of hypocrisy.

Yeah...logic.

Oh wait, what logic?

Beating up a little scumbag =/= blowing up innocent people in a pub

The IRA are/were just scumbags under a different name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

RE the assault by the guards....This is nothing new, and has been going on for years,The only difference now is that the guards are been actually challenged & charged that would not have happened in the 70,s/80,s, I remember the heavy gang who were mostly attached to the murder squad,they beat the answers out of prisoners,went on for years.There are numerous other incidents of assaults by gardai and every year they pay out subtanial money to its victims,usually before its gets to the courts,The nicky kelly case of the 70,s is a good case to check out,having said all that i think most guards are ok but like everything there are always bad ones who think they are superior and the law does not apply to them. :-)

Advertisement