Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New €40 Ryanair boarding card fine

• 14-05-2009 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0513/breaking35.html?via=mr
    New €40 Ryanair boarding card fine
    PAUL CULLEN, Consumer Affairs Correspondent

All Ryanair passengers will soon have to check in for flights online before arriving at the airport as the airline moves to phase out the use of check-in desks.

The change applies to all new bookings made after next Wednesday, May 20th, including passengers travelling with infants and checked-in bags.

The airline also says that from next week it will no longer accept bookings for unaccompanied minors (under 16 years old) while all new bookings will require passengers, including infants and those travelling on domestic flights) to hold a valid passport or national identity card.

The existing €10 airport check-in fee is being replaced by a €5 fee per person, per flight, on new bookings, except for promotional fares. Free fares, and fares costing €1 or €5 will include the check-in fee in the cost.

Ryanair is also imposing a new penalty of €40 for re-issuing a boarding card that has already been printed. It says this is to encourage all passengers to arrive at their airport with the card pre-printed.

“Passengers travelling without checked in bags have already embraced our online check-in service and the extension of this service to all passengers, including those with hold luggage and those travelling with infants will allow all passengers to forever avoid check-in queues,” a spokesman said.

“This will also allow Ryanair to lower our airport and handling costs and pass these savings to all passengers in the form of even lower air fares next winter.”

The airline’s check-in service allows a passenger to check in from 15 day to four hours before a flight. The boarding card can be printed, or re-printed, up to 40 minutes before scheduled departure time.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=09&month=may&story=gen-en-130509
    News Release
    Ryanair Moves to Web Check-In Only
    ON ALL NEW BOOKINGS
    PASSENGERS WITH INFANTS CAN NOW CHECK-IN ONLINE

Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline, today (13 May 09) confirmed that from Wednesday next (20th May) all new passenger bookings, including those travelling with infants and checked in bags, will move to online check-in and ‘bag-drop’ only as Ryanair phases out the use airport of check-in desks from its 146 airports by 1st October next.

From Wednesday Ryanair will no longer accept bookings for unaccompanied minors (under 16 years old) while all new bookings will require passengers (including infants and domestic flight passengers) to hold a valid passport or valid national identity card.
    Accordingly, Ryanair will remove its £10/€10 airport check-in fee and introduce a £5/€5 online check-in fee per person, per flight, on new bookings, other than promotional fares (fares of “Free”, “€1” and “€5” will include web check-in on a free of charge basis), while a €40/£40 ‘boarding card re-issue fee’ will be introduced to encourage all passengers to arrive at the airport with their pre-printed web check-in boarding card.

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said:

“Passengers travelling without checked in bags have already embraced our online check-in service and the extension of this service to all passengers, including those with hold luggage and those travelling with infants will allow all passengers to forever avoid check-in queues. This will also allow Ryanair to lower our airport and handling costs and pass these savings to all passengers in the form of even lower air fares next winter.

“Ryanair’s web check-in service allows passenger to check-in from 15 days to 4 hours before, and print, or re-print, their boarding card up to 40 minutes prior to their scheduled departure time. Web check-in can be accessed via ryanair.com using booking confirmation numbers or flight details”.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Think more and more people are starting to stay at home because of the hassle that flying has become. I for one will be holidaying at home here this year for the first year in many years. Just can't be bothered with all the rules and regulations. Total turnoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I have no problem with online check-in and bag drop (I use it with AerLingus already) but AerLingus has the whole of area 14 to itself with dozens of bag drop belts. Will Ryanair have a massive queue at 2 or 3 bag drop belts to save renting them from DAA?

Ryanair is really trying to force people to fly with hand luggage only but they will eventually learn that people actually do need to bring a decent size bag if going for more than a weekend. I've given up on Ryanair at this stage myself. Too many hoops to jump through. I know I'm not alone in this regard.

Do Ryanair use a fastpass style system at any airport? I know they reckon DAA charges too much rent for the space so won't use them in DUB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Is there not a security risk to having baggage checked in without a person identiying themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Are they saying that each check-in now costs 5 extra? Should that not be part of the ticket price?

Like above, I too have given up on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

IIMII wrote: »
    Is there not a security risk to having baggage checked in without a person identiying themselves?

There's a security risk with everything. I still don't understand why air travel is so special when it comes to security risks yet buses, trains and other forms of transport aren't subject to the same controls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Its not like they aactually are much cheaper.

Take into account all the hidden charges and such and make you pay for eveyrthing.

Then you have to pay for a bus to get near where your going.
    then possibly a taxi.

Glad i gave up on ryanair a long time ago too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Are they saying that each check-in now costs 5 extra? Should that not be part of the ticket price?

Like above, I too have given up on them.

yea, that's what I'm reading from this? It would seem to be bordering on false advertising, if there is an additional charge that is in no way optional. ie, fair enough if you charge €xx for checking in additional bags etc, you have option not to....however charging extra for something that is intrinsically necessary and non optional, such as checking in, seems crazy that this would be legal...however given their past form , it's not really that surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I guess you don't have understand how the bag drop works, of course you identify yourself with your passport and boarding card when dropping the bag at the desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

40Eur to replace a lost boarding card is fair enough. Just print a few copies!

Charging people a fiver to check in seems a little stupid though. It's hardly an optional thing. How can you charge someone extra for checking in when they have to do it to fly? Unless i've missed something just include it in the bloody ticket price . . . Just tell us you.re raising costs by a fiver!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Imposter wrote: »
    There's a security risk with everything. I still don't understand why air travel is so special when it comes to security risks yet buses, trains and other forms of transport aren't subject to the same controls.
    The bigger the body count they less we are able to handle the situation. Hence, road deaths (approximately 1.1 deathsper fatal incident) are tolerated much more than public transport or aircraft deaths (typically varies from several to several hundred).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I dont even understand what those mean. It seems to be business as usual unless you forget your boarding print off. and lets face it most airports have a facility to access the internet and print off one of those for a lot less. I never fly with them anyway because they suck on everything apart from price. Thats even taking into account I love getting value for money. with those guys I make an exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Random wrote: »
    40Eur to replace a lost boarding card is fair enough. Just print a few copies!

Charging people a fiver to check in seems a little stupid though. It's hardly an optional thing. How can you charge someone extra for checking in when they have to do it to fly? Unless i've missed something just include it in the bloody ticket price . . . Just tell us you.re raising costs by a fiver!

It's like charging a credit card fee when the only way you can buy a ticket is by credit card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

***** :(

Like a cinema charging an extra €10 on top of an €8 admission because there is an usher in the way .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kmick wrote: »
    and lets face it most airports have a facility to access the internet and print off one of those for a lot less.
    But you have to check in 4 hours in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I have to say that it's unclear if the EUR 5 online checkin fee only applies if you have bags to check in or if it applies to all bookings?

Why charge EUR 5 if you have no bags and have hand luggage only? If it does apply to everyone then yes it should be part of the fare, but I suspect it relates only to those that have bags to check in.

The real problem that I would have with it is that for the return flight would I have internet access to check in? That's not always the case. It will depend on how long in advance of the flight one can check in.

PDN wrote: »
    It's like charging a credit card fee when the only way you can buy a ticket is by credit card.
    Thankfully Ryanair at least give you a number of methods of paying for a ticket.

Victor wrote: »
    Yes but you can do so from 15 days in advance and reprint your boarding card any number of times up to 40 minutes before scheduled departure time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Thankfully Ryanair at least give you a number of methods of paying for a ticket.

Yes but you can do so from 15 days in advance and reprint your boarding card any number of times up to 40 minutes before scheduled departure time.

Is that 40 minutes a new thing that they are bringing in from May 20th then? Because at the moment it is 4hours. I've been stung a couple of times (admittedly entirely through my own silliness) by just missing the 4 hour deadline for reprinting (even though I had done the online check in days or hours before) and having to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

I chose to check in online and was delighted that I could stroll pass the long queues in departures and head straight for security. However my print off couldnt be read at security. I printed it on A5 paper and apparantly thats too small. Had to go back to the end of the huge queue. :mad:

Worth bearing in mind

Monkey61 wrote: »
    Is that 40 minutes a new thing that they are bringing in from May 20th then? Because at the moment it is 4hours. I've been stung a couple of times (admittedly entirely through my own silliness) by just missing the 4 hour deadline for reprinting (even though I had done the online check in days or hours before) and having to pay.
    Reprint up to 40 minutes, not sure of the check in cut off time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

I guess you don't have understand how the bag drop works, of course you identify yourself with your passport and boarding card when dropping the bag at the desk.

It's a gimmick in my opinion. If you are checking in bags then the only difference is you are printing your own boarding pass, you still have to go to the check in desk...sorry I mean bag drop desk and show your passpost and have your bags labelled.

Like the other posters I too have given up on Ryanair. Too many hoops to jump through and too difficult to keep on top of all their rules so you don't get caught with additional charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

kmick wrote: »
    I dont even understand what those mean. It seems to be business as usual unless you forget your boarding print off. and lets face it most airports have a facility to access the internet and print off one of those for a lot less. I never fly with them anyway because they suck on everything apart from price. Thats even taking into account I love getting value for money. with those guys I make an exception.

You are missing something very important here. You can only print off the boarding pass up to 4 hours before the flight.

A friend and I got caught out with this recently and it cost us £20 each (I live in the UK). A group of 11 behind us had been caught out with this too. In five minutes they picked up £260 in fines.

I do not understand how it can be legal to stop you acccessing your own boarding pass 4 hours before a flight. I had checked in, just my printer was broken an by the time I got to an internet cafe, I was no longer allowed to access my boarding pass.

Victor wrote: »

Even having checked in, you cannot go back and access your boarding pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There is a business opportunity here for someone at the airport to set up a terminal, or a coin operated one permanently logged on to Ryanair site.

The system would not allow be to reprint my boarding pass inside 4 hours beforehand. The other 11 people who were fined on the day I travelled, were not allowed to reprint theirs either.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ryanair are doing their damnedest to make life utterly impossible for the air traveller.

I'm glad I stopped flying them when I saw the way their cabin crew treated an infirm elderly lady. It was just disgusting.:(:mad:

I dearly hope Michael O'Leary's sheer nastiness is the cause of his own downfall. He deserves nothing less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Like others, I haven't flown Ryanair in years.

However, sufficient numbers of people demonstrate that they accept this kind of behaviour by continuing to fly with them.

Unfortunately, if you live in the West/Mid-West and you want to go to either Continental Europe or certain cities in the UK, you have to either go to Dublin or Cork (which I do) or put up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Stopped flying with them after they insisted my bag was overweight even though it wasnt after I weighed it myself with an industrial calibrated digital scales. Aer Lingus for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

I presumed it was similar to the Aerlingus checkin and was automated. I take it isn't. So how does it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

just don't fly with Ryanair anymore...
    Money is the ONLY language O'Leary understands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

If you have booked prior to next Wednesday and already paid for airport check-in, but aren't flying 'til May 28th, does anyone know if we can still avail of airport check-in?

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Gruffalo wrote: »
    The system would not allow be to reprint my boarding pass inside 4 hours beforehand. The other 11 people who were fined on the day I travelled, were not allowed to reprint theirs either.

At present its 4 hours when this comes into play its 40 minutes to reprint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭L_gaucho

Gruffalo wrote: »

You can only print off the boarding pass up to 4 hours before the flight.

I do not understand how it can be legal to stop you acccessing your own boarding pass 4 hours before a flight. I had checked in, just my printer was broken an by the time I got to an internet cafe, I was no longer allowed to access my boarding pass.

Yes, I agree , that definitely seems crazy, as you are not altering anything, just reprinting. The cynic in me reckons the 4hr rule was put there to stop people from offering cheaper printing services in the airport...

Come on legal eagles, take it on!!

Personally though, I try fly aer lingus where possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭L_gaucho

Nuttzz wrote: »
    At present its 4 hours when this comes into play its 40 minutes to reprint

Ah, makes more sense. hold back there, legal eagles :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

I've never had any problems flying with Ryanair.

Later tonight or tomorrow I will check in for my flight on the 29th May. 15 days before. I have it marked on a calendar, and it's in my phone as a reminder.

So you CAN do it early enough. And print it out. And be all ready to go. I have booked 6 flights, 3 in May and 3 in June, these 6 flights cost me €16.00 each. Compare that with €50+ for a tank of petrol or €50+ on the train, the other option the bus :rolleyes: yeah right.

I think if your prepared and know you get what you pay for then, you cant complain about the service. I never mind using them for these internal flights.
    However Im not too sure I would use them for a European or long haul flight. :D

***Hope my flight goes ok tomorrow and I'm not back here complaining about Ryanair tomorrow*** :D

I presumed it was similar to the Aerlingus checkin and was automated. I take it isn't. So how does it work?
    What else do I need to explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Noelleieos

The amount of charges are a load of bull really, but they do have a lot to pay for (unfortunately training their staff to be civil is not one of those things) and because of their cheap prices other airlines have lowered their prices, therefore making the market more competitive. About 20 years ago my mother paid £200 to to London. So from that point Ryanair is pretty good. But still, why with all the confusion??? There are now to many rules and regulations and charges. I always use online check in and now I have to pay 5 euro extra. I only bring hand luggage to keep the price low. What next? Paying to use the stairs to the plane? And the whole 40 euro to reprint is very unfair. People forget things, people lose things, you cannot fine them for that. How exactly does would someone needing to print off their card a second time affect them? If they turn up at the desk without a card, maybe a small charge, but other than that it's just plain cr*p!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

So now I note I need a passport to fly from Dublin to Cork with Ryanair.

morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The new €5 check in fee applies to everyone if it is a non-promotional fare and it will be added to the bill. For promotional fares, the new charge will not be payable. This, of course, allows them to continue to offer their 1c flights on adverts during promotions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Do people not print the boarding pass to a file as a backup?
    so you can print it whenever you want?

Do people not print the boarding pass to a file as a backup?
    so you can print it whenever you want?

In my case, I would have been on easily on time, but for no printer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Scien wrote: »
    The Mans a Hero.

The Mans an Arse.

But I don't care. I fly Ryanair all the time. Day returns, short trips etc. Trips I wouldn't/couldn't otherwise make. Many to places that wouldn't otherwise be served from Dublin.

Check in online, bring hand luggage, look out the window as the crew tries to sell you scratch cards, and you barely have to interact with the company directly.

Travel at the right times (where possible) and you barely have to give them any money either. It feels like you're robbing O'Leary. And to really screw him: Avoid the credit card charge when booking with Ryanair :D

And when you're flying Aer Lingus, thank Ryanair again for the relatively cheap flight you're getting as it was the competition that got it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

oceanclub wrote: »
    If you have booked prior to next Wednesday and already paid for airport check-in, but aren't flying 'til May 28th, does anyone know if we can still avail of airport check-in?

P.

Similar situation to me - booked months ago and am flying to Rome next week with a checked bag each way

Can I check in online both ways and just drop off the bags at a bag-drop (assuming they exist in Dublin & Campiano) without paying anything extra?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

murphaph wrote: »
    Ryanair is really trying to force people to fly with hand luggage only but they will eventually learn that people actually do need to bring a decent size bag if going for more than a weekend.
    Over the past 7 years I've been on at least a dozen trips to Europe varying for a long weekend to a week. Both myself and my gf have always managed quite comfortably without checked in luggage
    Africa wrote: »
    Its not like they aactually are much cheaper.

Take into account all the hidden charges and such and make you pay for eveyrthing.

Then you have to pay for a bus to get near where your going.
    then possibly a taxi.

Glad i gave up on ryanair a long time ago too!

Only reason I use them is because they are cheaper, generally a lot cheaper than any alternative. Main reason I gave up on Aer fungus a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do people not print the boarding pass to a file as a backup? so you can print it whenever you want?
    Someone my wife works with did that, i.e. printed to a PDF on a USB memory stick, and when he asked the hotel to print it out for him, they refused as they didn't allow USB sticks on their PC's because of the risk of viruses. Sometimes you just can't win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I normally find Ryanair to be cheaper than Aer Lingus but would be prepared to pay the extra sometimes for the convenience of some of the Aer Lingus airports.

However, Aer Lingus are not actually too expensive in general. It's all relative. I recently had to look for flights home from Venice at short notice. The major national carriers (BA, Alitalia, Air France, Lufthansa, KLM) all served the region so I thought I would be able to get something reasonable most of the way home alright. However, without exception they were all charging €500+ for the relevant flight (to London, Paris, etc . . .). I could get a flight home with Aer Lingus for under €150 from Venice, or I could jump on a train and get a flight home with Aer Lingus from Bologna for about the same.

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

BendiBus wrote: »
    The Mans an Arse.

But I don't care. I fly Ryanair all the time. Day returns, short trips etc. Trips I wouldn't/couldn't otherwise make. Many to places that wouldn't otherwise be served from Dublin.

Check in online, bring hand luggage, look out the window as the crew tries to sell you scratch cards, and you barely have to interact with the company directly.

Travel at the right times (where possible) and you barely have to give them any money either. It feels like you're robbing O'Leary. And to really screw him: Avoid the credit card charge when booking with Ryanair :D

And when you're flying Aer Lingus, thank Ryanair again for the relatively cheap flight you're getting as it was the competition that got it for you.

Couldnt agree more!!

Not sure if this was already posted http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1163879/Ryanair-How-avoid-Mr-OLearys-320-sting-privilege-check-in.html

Also just seen this on the Passenger details page when booking.

"Would you like to receive a text message confirmation of your booking?" costs €1.00 :eek:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I can see ryanair charging for air, since recycled air is pumped throughout the plane, I can see the logic in Ryanair jumping to this idea.

Seriously this all down to money:rolleyes: Lke can we just pay for the fupping ticket and get to destination, this craic doesnt fool me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Scien wrote: »
    O'Leary has single handedly revolutionised Air Travel and continues to do so daily.

I wonder will the begrudgers be as quick to berate him when they're given the option to fly to New York for €50.
    Damn right they wont.

With everyday that passes, it never ceases to amaze what people put up with on Ryanair just because it's air travel. Whether it's €50 or €50,000 to New York or Nepal. If it was any other trade doing it so openly, they'd be out of business in a shot. It is quite honestly staggering.

It must be worth a claim for research PhD funding for some budding psychologist. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement