Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Arsenal (Saturday, Sky Sports 1, 12.45 KO)

• 14-05-2009 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

b_12.png v b_1006.png

I know its a little early but its a massive game for United, and its an early kick off so pre-match discussion will really only be today and tomorrow.

Don't think there are any new injuries for United. Only concern is Rio. United will be looking to win, buts always tricky to get the mentality right when you have a draw in the back of your mind.

Arsenal could take it a few ways really, blood some youngsters at the end of the season, or go all out to stop United winning the league in front of them, and get some revenge for the CL.

I think there is enough motivation for both sides to make this a good match.

United will be near full strength I think and I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat of the team that played the second leg, and also a very close run for the CL final team IMO.

VDS
    O'Shea-Rio/Evans--Vidic---Evra
    ---Fletcher-Carrick-Anderson--
    -Park
    Rooney-
    Ronaldo

Always the chance of Tevez coming in for Park though and Ronaldo going out wide. As for Arsenal I have no clue what team they will put out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Cant wait for this

im hoping for the same line up that played against arsenal in the first leg of the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I reckon Arsenal will take a 2 or 3 goal lead into half time. Then Man Utd come out all guns blazing and equalise or get the win.

Just for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd like to see us throw at a youth team. We've nothing to play for and putting out our strongest team to say we beat United twice in the league this season is a fairly pathetic claim to hang onto going into the summer.
    I'd at least like to see Vela and Ramsey start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

But just think of the conspiracy stories:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

But just think of the conspiracy stories:eek:

Lmao. I can hear the Pool fans now!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Take it down United. WP etc etc.

lol Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Headshot wrote: »
    Cant wait for this

im hoping for the same line up that played against arsenal in the first leg of the CL

+ ∞

That team was good enough that day and should be good enough again against an Arsenal team with a lot less to play for. Bout time we won the league by getting a result at home.

Also as mentioned it would give us a chance to roll over for HUll and I can drunk for the day celebrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Utd to win 3-1

ShooterSF wrote: »
    + ∞

That team was good enough that day and should be good enough again against an Arsenal team with a lot less to play for. Bout time we won the league by getting a result at home.

Also as mentioned it would give us a chance to roll over for HUll and I can drunk for the day celebrating.

sure you haven't started already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

What do you reckon the chances are of Tevez starting? I think Fergie is playing a risky game with him but it seems to be getting the best out of him. I think if he starts this game and the final it'll go a long way to deciding whether he wants to stay or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

sure you haven't started already?

I wish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

ChumpStain wrote: »
    What do you reckon the chances are of Tevez starting? I think Fergie is playing a risky game with him but it seems to be getting the best out of him. I think if he starts this game and the final it'll go a long way to deciding whether he wants to stay or not.

I would certainly hope so after last night! the other 3 forwards were all rubbish. Park on the left, Ronaldo on the right and Roon and Tevez up front should do the trick with Carrick/Anderson partnering Fletch (fit?) in CM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm not sure if he will start this game. I think it might be Berbatov starting with Rooney. | certainly don't see him starting the final, think it will be a front 3 of Park, Ronaldo and Rooney in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

There's some interesting new on the Tevez affair http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8042344.stm wither or not it is true or not remains to be seen ;)

I hope we play our strongest team against Man U because if we suffer another 4-1 defeat I think I may cry and my liver will take a pounding also! With that said does anyone else think it'd be good to give Vito Mannone a shot if Almunia is still injured? I mean Fabianskii may come good but he needs a chance to reflect on how bad he has been in the past few games.

Unfortunately I think you're right, I think if he did start both matches he might start think Berba and Rooney and undroppable and if he plays well he'll start matches. Think over the last 2 games alone he deserves to start at the weekend at least.

Souless wrote: »
    I hope we play our strongest team against Man U because if we suffer another 4-1 defeat I think I may cry and my liver will take a pounding also! With that said does anyone else think it'd be good to give Vito Mannone a shot if Almunia is still injured? I mean Fabianskii may come good but he needs a chance to reflect on how bad he has been in the past few games.

It's ok, our new 16 year old Argentinian wonder keeper is going to step up to the plate..... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Frisbee wrote: »
    It's ok, our new 16 year old Argentinian wonder keeper is going to step up to the plate..... :cool:

Indeed. I heard they are widening the goals at Arsenal just for him when he arrives. He feels they are too small and wouldn't feel challenged playing under these conditions. :D

DenMan wrote: »
    Indeed. I heard they are widening the goals at Arsenal just for him when he arrives. He feels they are too small and wouldn't feel challenged playing under these conditions. :D

Their doing away with the goals altogether I hear. You just have to run it over the endline.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

If Utd win or draw, will they be presented with the trophy?

Unfortunately I think you're right, I think if he did start both matches he might start think Berba and Rooney and undroppable and if he plays well he'll start matches. Think over the last 2 games alone he deserves to start at the weekend at least.

Rooney didn't play the city game.

Tevez didn't start last night.

Berbatov probably won't start this weekend. (not saying Tevez will).

Its called rotation, keeping the players and team fresh at the end of a long season.

Its not about who is dropable and who isn't. They are all dropable.

• Advertisement

Mr Moon wrote: »

Yes, according to Sky Sports last night.

Rotation I understand but you have to take form into account when rotating and Tevez is bang in form. I think if he sees that his form is being rewarded by playing the big matches it'll make signing him alot easier. Don't get me wrong I think Fergie has rotated well this season I just think Tevez has been overlooked by Berbatov more than he should of.

Rotation I understand but you have to take form into account when rotating and Tevez is bang in form. I think if he sees that his form is being rewarded by playing the big matches it'll make signing him alot easier. Don't get me wrong I think Fergie has rotated well this season I just think Tevez has been overlooked by Berbatov more than he should of.

I don't because Tevez has struggled and looked out of form a lot of times previously this year. His last two games have been good but you can't over look the whole season because of that.

Just to note Berbatov has also been left out a fair few times. More so as the season has gone on.

Ah we'll have to agree to disagree Alan, I think I have an unhealthy man love for Tevez. Either way I'm looking forward to the match and I think whoever starts upfront or anywhere on the pitch they'll get a win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

I'd imagine it'll be a strong utd side out and the same energetic and workman like approach (which means park and flecther and maybe even tevez will start).

Anderson has been dreadful of late and should be dropped. Berbatov however has been working much harder recently and is slowly contributing more... pity it's taken a full season for him to start warming up though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Draw or United win, can't see Arsenal doing any real damage, even with Arshavin.

smemon wrote: »
    I'd imagine it'll be a strong utd side out and the same energetic and workman like approach (which means park and flecther and maybe even tevez will start).

Anderson has been dreadful of late and should be dropped. Berbatov however has been working much harder recently and is slowly contributing more... pity it's taken a full season for him to start warming up though :D

*shakes head*

do you watch the recent utd games,ando was superb in the 1st leg against Arsenal,ok in the second leg and carrick and scholes were worse than ando yesterday

ando had to play on the left (yesterday)where he's not use to playing so to say he's dreadful is big mistake on your side

Anderson has been dreadful of late and should be dropped.

I know everyone is entitled to an opinion... but that is just wrong. Wrong.

In fact - it deserves this:

He wasn't up to much yesterday. I don't know where he was supposed to be playing and it looked like he didn't either.

To say he has been dreadfull of late and should be dropped though. I can't get over just how wrong that is! Since he returned to the side against Porto he has been an extremely important player for us.

Anderson has been dreadful of late and should be dropped.

Are you a Man Utd fan? If you are then you should hang your head in shame, because a true fan would never have come out with such a poor comment, so so far from the truth it's not even funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

deisedevil wrote: »
    Are you a Man Utd fan? If you are then you should hang your head in shame, because a true fan would never have come out with such a poor comment, so so far from the truth it's not even funny!

^^^ this tbh!!

aaaaaaaaaaaan-der-son son son.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Headshot wrote: »
    *shakes head*

do you watch the recent utd games,ando was superb in the 1st leg against Arsenal,ok in the second leg and carrick and scholes were worse than ando yesterday

ando had to play on the left (yesterday)where he's not use to playing so to say he's dreadful is big mistake on your side

Ando was terrible last night headshot, playing on the left or not for half an hour does not excuse his performance.

He has been good/excellent of late so hopefully last night was just a blip and we will blame the rain. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Arsene Wenger maintains his Arsenal attack are as good as Manchester United and intends to prove the point by delaying the champions title party with victory at Old Trafford on Saturday.

The Gunners have little other than restoring wounded pride left to play for, given they are now secure in fourth place in the Premier League and having been dumped out of the FA Cup by Chelsea at Wembley before being handed a European lesson when outclassed over two legs in the semi-final against United.

Nevertheless, a defiant Wenger insists his young side can still show their true worth by producing a shock win when they return to Old Trafford, where a draw would be good enough for the Red Devils’ record-equalling 18th championship following their late 2-1 victory at Wigan last night.

“We have a very promising team who can deliver very soon,” insisted Wenger. “If you look at the statistics of the two teams, we have scored a similar amount of goals. In the passing quality in the final third and in the opposition half, we are as good as Manchester United.

“We have conceded more goals and that is where the difference lies; we have conceded 36, they have conceded 24, we have scored 64, they have scored 67.

“Offensively, I do not believe there is a difference. Defensively, there was a difference.”

Wenger added on the title: “It looks like it will be Manchester United, but we can still delay it. We have a point to prove, definitely.

“We want to play for our pride and be respected for who we are, that is people who love the game they play. We promised ourselves on January 1 we would give everything in every game until the end of the season.

“That is where we can show we are capable to do that.”

However, the Arsenal manager accepted as a unit, United were the best around.

“I feel the 18-point gap is a reflection we have to take on the chin,” said Wenger. What people forget is that we were very far behind and we dropped too many points.

“Manchester United are world champions, European champions and will be champions of England. Everybody has to cope with that, not accept it and come back next year and beat them.”

Much has been made of Arsenal’s inability to mount a serious title challenge this season, while also failing to overcome the final hurdle in Europe.

There have been many calls – from fans and ex-players alike – for Wenger to spend heavily on experienced men this summer to add to the talent of youth.

The Arsenal manager is likely to be pressed on the issue once again during a shareholders forum at Emirates Stadium this evening.

However, Wenger – who has won three league titles and reached the Champions League final in 2006, but has not secured silverware now for four successive seasons – maintains he will not “bust” the club just to satisfy demand for a big-name signing.

“I believe every manager has the same problem, to manage within his own resources,” he said.

“I look now like I do not want to spend money, but I have nothing against spending money. I just feel we have a team who can be very competitive and we want, as always, to manage this club within its resources. I will do that.

“If you want me to get the club bust, I am not the person to do that, that is for sure.” Wenger added: “I believe in this team and from what I have seen in this team, that makes me quite optimistic.

“These players have the quality to beat anybody else. If we can add one or two players with the resources we have, then we will do it.”

Czech international Tomas Rosicky, out since January 2008, has now returned to training following hamstring and leg problems, but will not play again this season.

Goalkeeper Manuel Almunia (ankle) will miss the United game, but Russian playmaker Andrey Arshavin has recovered from a virus.

Source: http://breakingnews.ie/sport/wenger-gunners-as-good-as-united-for-goals-410763.html

The last time he promised victory, he failed. Miserably. Its not like they have been doing well in their last matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

tbh, given Arsenal's recent performances, and how much United will be looking to sort the league early, i think it will be a case of damange limitation for Wenger.

deisedevil wrote: »
    ^^^ this tbh!!

aaaaaaaaaaaan-der-son son son.....

Sorry, just can't believe you would have thought that he was playing poor lately, last night excluded of course.

"And he shlts on Fabregaaaaas"

:D

Boggles wrote: »
    Ando was terrible last night headshot, playing on the left or not for half an hour does not excuse his performance.

He has been good/excellent of late so hopefully last night was just a blip and we will blame the rain. ;)

ah you see I didnt say he played well last night,I just said scholes and carrick were as bad as ando last night

it was the rain,he couldnt do his samba beat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Mr Moon wrote: »

Pretty sure the rule is something along the lines of the team that wins the league will be presented with the trophy at their last home game of the season (if possible).

This isn't gospel though, so please correct me if I'm wrong? :o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

VDS
    O'Shea----Rio----Vidic----Evra
    ---Fletcher--Giggs--Anderson--
    -Park
    Rooney-
    Ronaldo

I think this'll be the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

VDS

Josh
    Rio
    Vida
    Evra----
    Fletcher----Carrick
    Anderson
    ----Ronaldo
    Rooney

Tevez

Wouldn't be surprised if we saw Nani on the right with Ronaldo up top instead, with Tevez on the bench.

2-2. Ronaldo and Anderson :D ; Arseshavings (2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Heading over for this tomorrow night, currently debating if i should tempt fate and bring my camera for the first time ever.

RasTa wrote: »
    Heading over for this tomorrow night, currently debating if i should tempt fate and bring my camera for the first time ever.

May aswell man, at least pictures will be something will be something good to come out of the trip :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Sully wrote: »
    Source: http://breakingnews.ie/sport/wenger-gunners-as-good-as-united-for-goals-410763.html

The last time he promised victory, he failed. Miserably. Its not like they have been doing well in their last matches.

LOL......Wenger will be hung out to dry yet again for his silly predictions.

United to cruise to an easy win a la wigan last season

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

If (big if) we beat United it will be bitter sweet because I don't want the Gunners doing the Scouse any favours.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

yermandan wrote: »
    LOL......Wenger will be hung out to dry yet again for his silly predictions.

United to cruise to an easy win a la wigan last season

Is your sig some kind of tribute to Kanye West ?
    :pac:

gustavo wrote: »
    Is your sig some kind of tribute to Kanye West ?
    :pac:

Haha my Wayne Rooney sig??? No its a tribute to Wayne Rooney!!!!

I used to have a line from one of his songs ages ago, is that what ya mean??:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

yermandan wrote: »
    Haha my Wayne Rooney sig??? No its a tribute to Wayne Rooney!!!!

I used to have a line from one of his songs ages ago, is that what ya mean??:pac:

I think he means you spelt Wayne, 'Wanye'... :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Fenix wrote: »

Is it not like a Tribute to Wanye Kest? The infamous pop star?

Fenix wrote: »

Haha realised it just now!!!! Can anyone say fookin eediot??

Rectified and suitably embarrassed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Unearthly wrote: »
    I reckon Arsenal will take a 2 or 3 goal lead into half time. Then Man Utd come out all guns blazing and equalise or get the win.

Just for the craic.

They have done this so many times this season, gone behind and gone on to win. I wonder if anyone has the proper stats? Always worth throwing a few quid on them to win when they go behind :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I 'm expecting a cracking game , and no walk over , think Utd will win , but only after a few scares on the way. Don't see Arsenal rolling over to easy .

Just hope "a draw will do " attitude does not creep into the mind set of the Utd players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hopefully Ferguson reshoed Evans for this one after the other night.

Hard to see where Arsenal are going to get the confidence to win this one after a couple of weeks of being quite frankly muck.

Very Important United wrap this one up today, massive squad and all but it has been a very long season with the 60+ games, I expect Newcastle and Hull to draw so they will both be fighting the last day of the season. The importance of having the luxury to rest the champions league team next week cannot be overestimated.

Ferguson was qouted as saying that he is delighted it is Arsenal they are playing today, it will be a good football workout and should be an excellent indication of the team he fields in Rome.

First Fletcher tackle on Fab should be interesting. ;)
    ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Don't see Arsenal rolling over to easy .

I don't know Rockman, sure don't all teams roll over for United, it's the only reason they win the league isn't it?. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement