Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why so many different types of protein powder?

• 14-05-2009 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Just been looking at this list of powders:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/protein-powders/

Is there a reason why there is such a variety? I get part digested one ok, but the range of options seems massive. Apologies, I thought protein was protein. :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

In a word: capitalism.

Why so many types of bread? It's teh same principle. profit attracts people into the industry and each producer tries to differentiate their product in some small way (extra wholegrain, white, add a few seeds, flax, organic etc.) but really at the end of the day there is very little between them.

With regard to whey, companies usually take a very similar base product and add different bits and bobs to it, usually not really making a substantial difference one way or the other, so it really doesn't matter. Go for the cheapest imo!

It can be confusing at myprotein alright as they have a lot of different types and blends (I have used them before and would recommend them) I go for the impact whey protein - it's a basic whey protein concentrate that is good uality and very cheap. does what it says on the tin etc. Some of the others will be more expensive and have added pro-biotics and the like, that you probably don't really need if you have a good diet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Casein is slow release, many will have it just at night. Then others are veggie or vegan and as it is dairy then meat eaters with allergies might want it too.
    Go for the cheapest imo!
    Yes, but watch out as the cheapest might not always best value, e.g. they could have 75% 80% and 90% and the 75% might be the cheapest, but you might actually get more protein per euro with the 80% stuff. e.g if 1kg of 75% was €7.50 and 1kg of 80% was €7.70, then you are better off with the 80%.

Also some protein powders are lower in calories per gram of protein. i.e. many will have natural sugars and fats in them in varying quantities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hugoboss123

Isobest protein in a Scitec brand the purest quality on the market its Whey Isolate at its best full of Glutamine and BCAAs. I use it pre contest to getting on stage for bodybuilding shows.
    Or Superior Nutrition Ireland that sells at trade to customers with Designer protein and Whey Isolate and Casein.

Advertisement