Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone abroad

• 14-05-2009 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hey guys need a little advice.

I'll be going to France for a week in a few days and really need the use of my iphone for recieving calls, texts, and sending texts mostly. Not much in the way of voice calls. All to and from Ireland. Not local numbers

I'm currently on meteor and their roaming rates in france are RIDICULOUS.

I was wondering if someone could suggest an alternative. I'll happily buy a new sim either here or abroad.

Thanks in advance
    Ritchie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Please read the sticky titled IPHONE THREADS ARE NOT TO BE STARTED IN THIS FORUM. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, as has been pointed out to me, this isn't technically an iPhone specific thread, more a roaming question. :o

Go for it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Skidmcmarx wrote: »
    Hey guys need a little advice.

I'll be going to France for a week in a few days and really need the use of my iphone for recieving calls, texts, and sending texts mostly. Not much in the way of voice calls. All to and from Ireland. Not local numbers

I'm currently on meteor and their roaming rates in france are RIDICULOUS.

I was wondering if someone could suggest an alternative. I'll happily buy a new sim either here or abroad.

Thanks in advance
    Ritchie

If you had a phone other than an iPhone you could install cabbage mobile on it and text home for about two cent. If there is a similar application for iPhones you could use that but I'm unaware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Meteor's roaming rates are slightly better than O2 or Vodafone, except for texts which are 10c dearer on Meteor.

So if you're going to be sending a lot of texts, maybe get a prepay SIM from O2 and use that.

If you have access to a wireless connection over there, you can use eirtext to send texts from your meteor number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 messagemaster

(IPHONE)Does anyone know what the cost of send email and using internet would be abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Using which operator? Roaming charges are on their websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

Thanks for the replies guys. Im currently using eirtext to send messages on my home WIFI which works great but i'm not sure what level of WIFI i'll have where i'm staying.

@Seamus, thanks for the suggestion, i might have a look into O2's rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You could use Eirtext over GPRS? Surely it would still be cheaper than SMS?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

To be honest i'm not sure. Meteor says its €10 per mb. Roughly how large is a 2 part SMS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

All the McDonalds over here and lots of regular cafes offer free wi-fi internet access. That may help a bit if you use webmail etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Skidmcmarx wrote: »
    To be honest i'm not sure. Meteor says its €10 per mb. Roughly how large is a 2 part SMS?

Check what the billing increments are. If you're billed per KB then it'll be only 2 or 3c usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Random wrote: »
    You could use Eirtext over GPRS? Surely it would still be cheaper than SMS?

While using Cabbage in Spain it cost 2 cent each time, but I don't know how efficient Eirtext is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement