Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 phones, contract up on one... want to switch

• 14-05-2009 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I have two bill phones - an O2 contract with 200 minutes (€50 p.m) and a contract with Meteor for 400 minutes for €60 p.m. I want to get rid of one of the phones (the O2 contract). Now, things get tricky!!

The O2 contract is a phone number that i've had since i first got a phone and I have to say I like the number (its catchy).

I've took out the meteor contract maybe three of four years ago and I get free meteor - meteor calls and texts anytime. I dont think the same deal is running now.

I want to terminate my contract with O2 and switch to meteor but i only want one phone and one number (the number that is currently with 02) and perhaps increase my minutes with meteor. Does anyone here know what is the best way to do this?

Would i be better terminating my o2 contract and switching back to speakeasy and then try and get meteor to change my plan and my number? Do you think there would be any chance that I could keep my current plan of free meteor - meteor calls and texts??

I know i've probably complicated the matter, so ask any questions for clarity!!
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

dlambirl wrote: »
    I've took out the meteor contract maybe three of four years ago and I get free meteor - meteor calls and texts anytime. I dont think the same deal is running now.

and perhaps increase my minutes with meteor

Regardless of the O2 part I don't think you'll be able to do that. When you switch your package they won't allow you to switch to a package that isn't available anymore.

Swapping out the meteor number for the o2 one should be possible though. Give meteor a call and ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Regardless of the O2 part I don't think you'll be able to do that. When you switch your package they won't allow you to switch to a package that isn't available anymore.

Swapping out the meteor number for the o2 one should be possible though. Give meteor a call and ask

Just after having a look at the Meteor website and they still do the free meteor-meteor calls and texts. I dunno would i be better with that or the free calls at weekends and evenings??

Also looking at Vodafones Perfect Choice 600 - free calls and texts to Vodafone customers with 600 minutes and 600 texts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Ok,i think I've understood this correctly, you want to terminate one contract- but keep the catchy number you currently have, you are undecided on Vodafone or Meteor. If you want to keep the contract on meteor but just change the phone number to 086 I think you can just ring them and tell them you wish to port your 02 number, they'll ask for your meteor number( the one that you currently have on bill pay) and you be able to keep your number. Free meteor calls and texts is also available for €20. vodafones 600 mind and texts is good if you talk ally and text alot, probably your best value thinking of calls and texts, and I have a feeling they'll be improving their packages soon to be more competitive. Can you just clear up however which number is still in contract for the best advice. Thanks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

My contract with O2 is up from the beginning of this month and the my meteor contract is up in the end of july

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Ok, I get you now. Ok Vodafone do free calls and texts to all Vodafone customers , do you have many of those? Free evening calls is available on the new free extras with o2, can I ask for more details. Which network do you call the most? How many texts do you send a month and how many mins do you want a month. This will make it easier to make accurate suggestions, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Changing your phone numbers isn't something the networks allow but it is something that I have done before - you just need to get the right person.

These are the steps I would follow:
    1. Switch from O2 bill (assuming you're out of contract) to Meteor prepay - bring a recent bill into a Meteor shop to do this.
    2. Call Meteor from your Meteor bill phone. Advise you would like to swap your prepay and postpay numbers around. Ask them if they can log it with tech for you.

They'll either do it or they won't.

Alternatively (assuming your out of contract)
    1. just port your Meteor billpay to O2 Speakeasy and then let it expire.
    2. Port your O2 billpay onto Meteor billpay and take one of their new plans

++ edit - the option of porting your O2 billpay number over the existing Meteor billpay number ... how'd I miss that post? Of course that's an option too but sometimes against procedure .. confuses agents .. etc.

Advertisement