Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Field

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

an artist for I haven't got into for some reason - think it was because some justice/edbanger loving indie kids were ranting and raving about him a while ago.

Certainly like what you've posted there. I'm off to Beatport to buy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

jtsuited wrote: »
    an artist for I haven't got into for some reason - think it was because some justice/edbanger loving indie kids were ranting and raving about him a while ago.

Certainly like what you've posted there. I'm off to Beatport to buy!

Even the Indie kids get it right sometimes. Pitchfork gave his last album a 9.0 which is virtually unheard of http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/10022-from-here-we-go-sublime/

His productions are just so interesting and feel instantly familiar. Brilliant reveal at the end of a paw in my face when he lets the loop run out and you realise you have been listening to a tune sampling Hello by Lionel Richie and The Commodores.

Have seen him twice now. Once was a laptop gig which was decent but the last time I saw him he had a band with him and it worked much better. He is playing Electric Picnic so check him out if your going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Nice one for the heads up on this - hadn't heard of The Field but really like the youtube links. Off to download that album as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Thanks for posting. Really like what I've heard so far. If Sigur Ros made techno I reckon this is what it'd sound like. There's a real musicality and feeling behind the tracks. Must check out his album

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I've picked this up many a time in Tower and ended up not buying it in favour of something else, must get it now, also really like what I have heard here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

fairplay to mike for this one. I've seen the name everywhere (probably because he's on Kompakt) but was ignoring it. until now. hurrah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    His productions are just so interesting and feel instantly familiar. Brilliant reveal at the end of a paw in my face when he lets the loop run out and you realise you have been listening to a tune sampling Hello by Lionel Richie and The Commodores.
    Yeah really clever. The way he samples the guitar reminds me of the guitar bit in Naive Song by Mirwais. Always thought it was really clever the way he stutters the sample

jtsuited wrote: »
    fairplay to mike for this one. I've seen the name everywhere (probably because he's on Kompakt) but was ignoring it. until now. hurrah!

No problem. Im actually surprised more people hadnt picked up on him yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    In anticipation of the new album Yesterday and Today which is out on Kompakt on Monday I thought I would start a thread about one of my favourite artists The Field. His last album From Hear We Go Sublime was one of the best electronic albums of all time in my opinion and im hoping that the new effort can live up to it. For anyone thats has'nt head him before here are a few blinders:

Cheers for introducing these tracks to me. Never heard them before and really liking them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Griff77

This is quality! Lovin the tunes from above, gonna get the album later! Cheers for the heads up about him playin EP aswell, he's a must see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Conor OH!

yeah The Field is great (ARE great?) im pretty sure there's more than one guy, ive seen them live twice now, at sonar, and in crawdaddy and both times, there was a "band" with a guy on laptops, and a drummer. maybe its the live shows that are a band, as opposed to the producer being "the field". they're top notch, although a bit samey when theyre live: as in, they dont stray too far from the recorded versions and it COULD just be a cd playing from the album.

Conor OH! wrote: »
    yeah The Field is great (ARE great?) im pretty sure there's more than one guy, ive seen them live twice now, at sonar, and in crawdaddy and both times, there was a "band" with a guy on laptops, and a drummer. maybe its the live shows that are a band, as opposed to the producer being "the field". they're top notch, although a bit samey when theyre live: as in, they dont stray too far from the recorded versions and it COULD just be a cd playing from the album.

The Field is / was Axel Willner. All the tracks I posted above where made by him alone. He toured the album just with a laptop but got bored and felt the shows werent as good as they could be so he first added a live drummer and then some further band members for later shows. The new album I think is more of a collbaberative effort but in essesnce Axel is The Field.

Advertisement