Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ministry Sacrifices

• 14-05-2009 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

hi all,

just after remembering about the sacrifices taker used to make in the ministry, and for some reason i can remember not seeing the night that mideon was sacrificed because Sky thought it was too rough to show.

can anbody shed any light on what actually happened????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

jossnjuice wrote: »
    hi all,

just after remembering about the sacrifices taker used to make in the ministry, and for some reason i can remember not seeing the night that mideon was sacrificed because Sky thought it was too rough to show.

can anbody shed any light on what actually happened????

Lemme go through my database of discs to get the exact date...
    January 4th 1999.

Basically Dennis Knight makes a once off return under his own name after being last seen as one half of Southern Justice when Canterbury suffered a neck injury. Undertaker & the Acolytes abduct him, hang him and then brainwash him turning him into Midean (later renamed Mideon). Then at the Royal Rumble a few weeks later, they kidnapped Mabel, who had returned a month earlier and brainwashed him turning him into Viscera.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Evilsbane

So basically they took wrestlers with crap gimmicks and gave them cool ones? Viscera is a much cooler name than Mabel (especially when you know it's latin for guts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Evilsbane wrote: »
    So basically they took wrestlers with crap gimmicks and gave them cool ones? Viscera is a much cooler name than Mabel (especially when you know it's latin for guts).

And even better again than Big Daddy V.:rolleyes:

Well to be fair, Undertaker had gone from dodgy gimmick, to a character with a mysterious younger brother to provide a storyline for a lot of 97-99, which was a damn sight better than Yokozuna and Mabel busting his face open and having him wear a goofy mask.

Faarooq, I'll give you. He got turfed out of the Nation of Domination and his brief face run and tag team with Scorpio was brief and painless. It was going nowhere.

Bradshaw was headed nowhere at this point either. He got a makeover and a hair dye and got paired with Windham as the New Blackjacks, Windham turned on him after a couple of months to join the NWA with Cornette, Jarrett and the new MX. That didn't last long either, and he was paired with Terry Funk as a face, but when Funk announced retirement, Bradshaw turned on him for abandoning him.

But the Acolytes were around pre ministry. They were Hells Henchmen, who were managed by Don "The Jackyl" Callis, but Callis eventually left for ECW as Cyrus, and with the direction Taker was going with his character, it was the perfect fit.

I don't get why Mabel and Knight were brought back either. Mabel came back in December 1998 to little or no reception. The end of 1998 was horrid for WWE though, between Mabel, a nowhere near ready Steven Regal and Gillberg. It doesn't add up because WCW were slipping ratings week after week at this stage, WWE had no need to resort to desperate measures at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 100% recycled

Hold on... are you telling me Phineas I. Godwinn was a crap gimmick??.... oh wait... don't bother answering that :D

godwinns.jpg

• Advertisement

Henry O Godwinn and Phineas I Godwinn.
    Hog and Pig.

Yeah... i've no idea how that didn't draw money either! :rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Bradshaw was headed nowhere at this point either. He got a makeover and a hair dye and got paired with Windham as the New Blackjacks, Windham turned on him after a couple of months to join the NWA with Cornette, Jarrett and the new MX. That didn't last long either, and he was paired with Terry Funk as a face, but when Funk announced retirement, Bradshaw turned on him for abandoning him.

Remember Bradshaw's brief stint with Taka Michinoku, teaching him how to be more "American", that was funny. In a small way Bradshaw's character with Taka was an early JBL prototype, just with beer and cigars added.
    I also remember wondering afterwards if that's what it was like when the real life odd couple of Texas neighbors Austin and Funaki got together :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

January 4th 1999.

Basically Dennis Knight makes a once off return under his own name after being last seen as one half of Southern Justice when Canterbury suffered a neck injury. Undertaker & the Acolytes abduct him, hang him and then brainwash him turning him into Midean (later renamed Mideon). Then at the Royal Rumble a few weeks later, they kidnapped Mabel, who had returned a month earlier and brainwashed him turning him into Viscera.

cheers shawn, but was there any blood and guts on the same sacrifice??? i remeber someone tellin me that they cut him open or somethin.........???

cheers shawn, but was there any blood and guts on the same sacrifice??? i remeber someone tellin me that they cut him open or somethin.........???

Not that i can remember. I don't think WWE ever went that far. If they were to try that, it probably would have been the live embalming on Austin later that year, before Kane came in and made the save. It's been about 18 months since i last watched RAW from 99 and to be honest with ya, i'm in no hurry to watch it again.

RAW from 99 was Russoriffic! Any hairbrained storyline from a comic book that Russo was reading while taking a dump earlier that day more than likely ended up on RAW that night. It's just too bad that when he eventually did improve (July-October 99), that he walked to WCW, where he would pretty much self destruct, mentally.

Also bear in mind that Sky Sports wasn't showing RAW live at the time, i think they only started doing that in 2003. It was on a four day delay or something, so if something more important came on, occasionally Sky would forgo WWE programming for it. So if Sky didn't air it, it was probably for those reasons. Because USA Network definitely did air it.

D-FENS wrote: »
    Remember Bradshaw's brief stint with Taka Michinoku, teaching him how to be more "American", that was funny. In a small way Bradshaw's character with Taka was an early JBL prototype, just with beer and cigars added.
    I also remember wondering afterwards if that's what it was like when the real life odd couple of Texas neighbors Austin and Funaki got together :D

I tried to forget about that, although i do remember being reminded of it back in 2006 during the Jimmy Wang Yang promos, and Bradshaw jumping all over them. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

From what I remember of it, it was a "camera shifts over to the side to a blank wall" moment, just as Undertaker moves in on Knight being held down by the other ministry members and you just hear Knight screaming. But as SR says, if it wasn’t live, could have been cut by the time Sky aired it.

Some of the Ministry stuff was edgy though. I remember for a brief period about 8 years ago, my niece was big into Lita and The Rock, she was about 10 or 11 at the time. She borrowed WM15 from me and the next day I got the ear chewed off me from my older sister for giving her daughter a tape of a hanging (Undertaker /Bossman HIAC). Felt bad, because normally I try to police viewing of things like that with my own child, but never thought of it when she borrowed it. (Sable dancing around like a tart didn’t help matters either if I remember! :D)

D-FENS wrote: »
    From what I remember of it, it was a "camera shifts over to the side to a blank wall" moment, just as Undertaker moves in on Knight being held down by the other ministry members and you just hear Knight screaming. But as SR says, if it wasn’t live, could have been cut by the time Sky aired it.

I think that's how it actually happened now that you mention it. It portrays the image that he's being mutilated in some way, but nothing actually got shown. I have the USA Network version here, as i said, it's been 18 months since I watched, but i'm pretty sure there was nothing too graphic on it. WWE were very careful with what they did. They'd go to the edge, but never go off it.

cheers guys, i would have been in around the 14 mark at that stage and thought it would have been a bit rough and shocking to have something that explixit on tv, but i definitely remember sky not showing it because it was that heavily censored!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

January 4th 1999.

What is that collection? Iv seen people on here a few times, saying stuff like, "I juat finished watching raw 99" or something like that.

what collections are you guys talking about? can you buy that many episodes in a set?

just checked the uncensored version on you tube for the first time.......and can say it aint for the squeamish!!!!!classic taker though!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24U17LC_oMM&feature=PlayList&p=E1327D24831027D1&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=30

just checked the uncensored version on you tube for the first time.......and can say it aint for the squeamish!!!!!classic taker though!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24U17LC_oMM&feature=PlayList&p=E1327D24831027D1&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=30

It's not that squeamish, an x is carved into Knights chest.
    I completely forgot about this. Can't believe this was all over 10 years ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

Now I know why I was put to bed early that night!:pac:

Advertisement