Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleepy bus driver

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

now we're getting somewhere. theres no point in having a go at me, shltter or cleo or any of the other that post here. we're not mangement some of us are bus drivers ,some of us work in other depts. if you have a problem with the services i suggest you get onto the local area managers or someone high up in head office. they're the only ones that can improve the service you require.
    as for the other stuff.
    i've been threatened on numerous occasions, the most serious was a guy who said he'd wait for me outside the staff canteen and slice my face up why : becuase of a mistake i made and immediately appologised for. i know of inspectors who have had the same experience only theirs was alot worse. there are drivers in malboro street who take their life into their own hands just by working in that street. junkies pardise, same with hawkins street and talobt street. when i'm on lates my wife doesn't sleep till she hears me coming in the door at about 1-1.30am, then has to be up at 6am. these days you dont need an excuse to assault someone.

Your taking that the wrong way, you think im somehow scapegoating you and your colleagues for my bad expereinces, im not, im merely pointing out the culture in DB of a seemingly complete lack of ability to take responsibility for anything that goes wrong, and up until that post, i had not read anything to change my mind (i.e. you owning up about mistake). I have no problem with people making mistakes etc, we are only human ffs sake, but the its just galling when so often when it comes to DB, excuse after excuse is trotted out and nobody ever seems willing to hold up their hands, and instead of actually taking the poster on the word, yourself and the other DB drivers seem to want to shoot holes in their story of deflect blame.

And by that i mean, the prime example of the strike recently and the ongoing stand off between yourselves and management where the other side are always to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Yet you consider me or anyone else who confuses you for the guilty late driver, a toe rag? Yes a model employee. Who said anything about taking abuse, being mistakenly identified as the driver who has started his journey late, is hardly taking abuse.

What is the driver running late guilty of.

See your statement of guilty shows your attitude its the drivers fault the 10:30 bus is late. Not the companies fault for poor timetabling not the governments fault for a complete lack of planning not the lack of enforcement of the law in relation to Bus lanes and parking. Not the roadworks not the weather not the thousands of single occupied private cars not the parent driving their kids to school a distance of less than a mile.

No in your mind the one person responsible is the poor ****er stuck behind the wheel of the bus. And God forbid he may actually be human enough to suffer from tiredness and try and do the right thing and refresh himself before taking the responsibility of carrying nearly a hundred people through this city.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

firstly theres a difference between confusing then having the balls to own up to their mistakes. the o.p. didn't you'll see the word " prick" used
    this is his quote yeah well his late night made me 30 minutes late for work. And the príck didnt even apologise he just sat there throwing filthies at me for waking him. There were about 5 people standing in the rain while he slept on the bus.
    taken from post 5.
    at for your incident. the two of you were wrong. him for opening the doors ,you for accepting and jumping. i've often offered to open the doors in between stops and the passengers has kindly refused. but all this has been stanped out due to H&S. if i'm caught doing this i get my ass kicked. in the hill they cant open the doors till the bus comes to a complete stop it's impossible to open them unless someone hit the emergency button. this known locally as a door break.

Well i didnt really have a choice!! There were numerous incidents with this guy, not just me personally but i remember my ex gf telling me about one morning on her way to work being screamed at by the same 77 driver. Complaining didnt really seem to work as the guy was still on the route for as long as i used the service.

Your taking that the wrong way, you think im somehow scapegoating you and your colleagues for my bad expereinces, im not, im merely pointing out the culture in DB of a seemingly complete lack of ability to take responsibility for anything that goes wrong, and up until that post, i had not read anything to change my mind (i.e. you owning up about mistake). I have no problem with people making mistakes etc, we are only human ffs sake, but the its just galling when so often when it comes to DB, excuse after excuse is trotted out and nobody ever seems willing to hold up their hands, and instead of actually taking the poster on the word, yourself and the other DB drivers seem to want to shoot holes in their story of deflect blame.

And by that i mean, the prime example of the strike recently and the ongoing stand off between yourselves and management where the other side are always to blame.

We all make mistakes no problem there.

All that the people who actually drive buses are doing is trying to explain that while the OPs story may be 100% true it does not automatically follow that the driver did anything wrong.

If the driver had 20 minutes and was feeling tired then the best thing is to use that 20 minutes to rest himself before starting again surely to God everyone that actually stops and thinks about it can see that.

shltter wrote: »
    What is the driver running late guilty of.

See your statement of guilty shows your attitude its the drivers fault the 10:30 bus is late. Not the companies fault for poor timetabling not the governments fault for a complete lack of planning not the lack of enforcement of the law in relation to Bus lanes and parking. Not the roadworks not the weather not the thousands of single occupied private cars not the parent driving their kids to school a distance of less than a mile.

No in your mind the one person responsible is the poor ****er stuck behind the wheel of the bus. And God forbid he may actually be human enough to suffer from tiredness and try and do the right thing and refresh himself before taking the responsibility of carrying nearly a hundred people through this city.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So its not possible that the driver IS the one responsible?! Always something or someone else to blame, its never the driver is it.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well i didnt really have a choice!! There were numerous incidents with this guy, not just me personally but i remember my ex gf telling me about one morning on her way to work being screamed at by the same 77 driver. Complaining didnt really seem to work as the guy was still on the route for as long as i used the service.

See that is funny as well as if your complaint on its own should have the power to remove someone from their job.

Unfortunately in the real world no one in DB knows you from Adam there are a large number of malicious and false claims and every driver has had them and I'm not claiming all or even most complaints are false. But if you are a DB manager and you get a letter all they can do is ask did this happen driver says no. If there was no supporting evidence then what can they honestly do a sacking or disciplining simply would not stand up end of story.

So its not possible that the driver IS the one responsible?! Always something or someone else to blame, its never the driver is it.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Of course it is possible that it might be a drivers fault but the vast vast majority of late departures are outside the drivers control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

firstly if you have a probelm with a driver you take down the i.d. number and the time then make a complaint. not trying to fob you off but some much has changed in the last few months theres only two things management are concerned about and thats cut backs and so called health and safety. drivers are not willing to risk much these days. as i have said lots and lots of time there are plain clothes spies on the buses watching drivers every movements.
    the o.p. was seething with rage and had a go at the driver. if he was the 10.30 then he should be dealt with swiftly, but if he wasn't and the o.p. made a formal complaint then the driver should be entitled to take whatever action is necessary against the o.p.?
    look at the o.p. posts gicy, he didn't make a mistake, he went bull headed for the driver so much so he even posted what supposedly went on here.

firstly if you have a probelm with a driver you take down the i.d. number and the time then make a complaint. not trying to fob you off but some much has changed in the last few months theres only two things management are concerned about and thats cut backs and so called health and safety. drivers are not willing to risk much these days. as i have said lots and lots of time there are plain clothes spies on the buses watching drivers every movements.
    the o.p. was seething with rage and had a go at the driver. if he was the 10.30 then he should be dealt with swiftly, but if he wasn't and the o.p. made a formal complaint then the driver should be entitled to take whatever action is necessary against the o.p.?
    look at the o.p. posts gicy, he didn't make a mistake, he went bull headed for the driver so much so he even posted what supposedly went on here.

The problem is that people don't actually understand how a bus service operates so a bus is there is must be the bus that is due and even if it is not so what it should just go now anyway. And if it doesn't it is because the driver is a prick.

See that is funny as well as if your complaint on its own should have the power to remove someone from their job.

Unfortunately in the real world no one in DB knows you from Adam there are a large number of malicious and false claims and every driver has had them and I'm not claiming all or even most complaints are false. But if you are a DB manager and you get a letter all they can do is ask did this happen driver says no. If there was no supporting evidence then what can they honestly do a sacking or disciplining simply would not stand up end of story.

Mate my point was that this guy was dishing out extraordinarily inappropriate behaviour day in day out, literally every other time i got in this guys bus i witnessed this guy taking his problems out on the public, the point being that even after i complained several times (at a time when i wouldnt say boo to a mouse) and more than likely countless other people did judging by the extraordinary rudeness this guy showed, his demeanor didnt change change. So either he just didnt give a flying fook or the who ever was dealing with complaints didn't care.

Sure you cant tell if a complaint is malicious or not but what if they are recurring complaints of a similar nature against a driver, similar to what iv described above? Thing is iv seen this first hand, iv recieved complaints about a particular driver which i otherwise wouldnt be able to tell were true or otherwise, except they persistently came in about this driving acting in the same inappropriate way.

My complaint on its might have held enough weight had i been a little bit older and lets say broken my ankle when leaping from the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

One Simple fact is the guy was asleep across the back of the bus, totally unacceptable and in the company i used to work for (privately run bus service) the driver would have been disciplined. Shocking carry on and indicative of DB's culture. Lazy.

At least Givyjoe81 has qualified his post to some extent by admitting a connection to the "Industry" so therefore we can glean a certain.....position ?....in relation to Bus Atha Cliath in general.

Givyjoe81 is, I suspect,rather unlikely to take a positive view of anything a Bus Atha Cliath employee would do so in reality there`s little benefit to be gained from angry retorts or attempts to explain or assist with his reasoning process other than to recognise he`s been a long time at it...
    thats no excuse for the countless shabby examples of service I personally have recieved over the 15 years or so i used to avail of DB services

Anyway,nuff said :):):)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Of course it is possible that it might be a drivers fault but the vast vast majority of late departures are outside the drivers control.

Of course, but SOME are the drivers fault. I had drivers leave early and late without good reason and recieved complaints. I didnt try and justify or fail to ackowledged the incident, I simply investigated, then apologised later. Iv not once been given an apology for similar incidents on DB.

Perfect example of DB culture, sitting on a bus on Camden street, stuck in traffic, two drivers stope opposite each other in traffic, one says "this traffic is a pain in the arse innit.. " other responds "yeah, but i dont care, we're getting paid to sit in it arent we.." i.e. who gives a fcuk.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    At least Givyjoe81 has qualified his post to some extent by admitting a connection to the "Industry" so therefore we can glean a certain.....position ?....in relation to Bus Atha Cliath in general.

Givyjoe81 is, I suspect,rather unlikely to take a positive view of anything a Bus Atha Cliath employee would do so in reality there`s little benefit to be gained from angry retorts or attempts to explain or assist with his reasoning process other than to recognise he`s been a long time at it...

My position on DB is and always has been impartial, a shockingly poor service accross a number of different routes, my reasoning HERE is based on seemingly inability of DB drivers here to ever chastise another DB driver no matter whan the instance, THEIR 'position' is seemingly always justified with "oh well the guy posted the driver was a prick" or comments along those lines which somehow invalidates the wrong that was committed, you hardly expect the general public to be delighted to with left standing in the rain? I have suffered an earfull on many occasion whether it be my fault or whether the fault of the sytsems in place in the organistation within which i work, however the least i will do is understand WHY the person is complaining, its not really that hard to put yourself in their shoes.

If you cannot understand my reasoning, well that would perfecly illustrate my point.

But yes, enough said, I think we shall continue to disagree well into the night.

AlekSmart wrote: »

where the **** he say that, what post alek?

Of course, but SOME are the drivers fault. I had drivers leave early and late without good reason and recieved complaints. I didnt try and justify or fail to ackowledged the incident, I simply investigated, then apologised later. Iv not once been given an apology for similar incidents on DB.

Perfect example of DB culture, sitting on a bus on Camden street, stuck in traffic, two drivers stope opposite each other in traffic, one says "this traffic is a pain in the arse innit.. " other responds "yeah, but i dont care, we're getting paid to sit in it arent we.." i.e. who gives a fcuk.

But drivers are requested to leave early and late on journeys all the time as the controller tries to spread the resources around and offer a service.

So for example if there is a bus missing it would not be unusual to move the bus in front up a few minutes to limit the waiting time of the passengers for the earlier bus and spread out the service.

Also IMO the driver who says yeah but you are getting paid to sit in it is a healthier attitude than someone who is getting stressed and frustrated by something he has no control over.
    All you can do is sit there so have a positive attitude about it.

My position on DB is and always has been impartial, a shockingly poor service accross a number of different routes, my reasoning HERE is based on seemingly inability of DB drivers here to ever chastise another DB driver no matter whan the instance, THEIR 'position' is seemingly always justified with "oh well the guy posted the driver was a prick" or comments along those lines which somehow invalidates the wrong that was committed, you hardly expect the general public to be delighted to with left standing in the rain? I have suffered an earfull on many occasion whether it be my fault or whether the fault of the sytsems in place in the organistation within which i work, however the least i will do is understand WHY the person is complaining, its not really that hard to put yourself in their shoes.

If you cannot understand my reasoning, well that would perfecly illustrate my point.

But yes, enough said, I think we shall continue to disagree well into the night.

I understand why the guy was complaining but that does not mean his anger was directed in the right place that's all.

My position on DB is and always has been impartial, a shockingly poor service accross a number of different routes, my reasoning HERE is based on seemingly inability of DB drivers here to ever chastise another DB driver no matter whan the instance, THEIR position is always justified with "oh well the guy posted the driver was a prick" which somehow invalidates the wrong that was committed.

ohhhhhhh boy you really have'nt got a clue givy, not one clue.
    givy have you ever worked for dublin bus?

But drivers are requested to leave early and late on journeys all the time as the controller tries to spread the resources around and offer a service.

So for example if there is a bus missing it would not be unusual to move the bus in front up a few minutes to limit the waiting time of the passengers for the earlier bus and spread out the service.

Also IMO the driver who says yeah but you are getting paid to sit in it is a healthier attitude than someone who is getting stressed and frustrated by something he has no control over.
    All you can do is sit there so have a positive attitude about it.
    well said shltter. jasus christ i've rather have someone that just had a snooze drive or fly me for that matter anywhere quicker than someone thats stressed up to the nineties

ohhhhhhh boy you really have'nt got a clue givy, not one clue.
    givy have you ever worked for dublin bus?

Iv not got a clue?! About what exactly? No i havent thank god, there on my list of companies that I will never work for including NTL, and recently added to that list AIB.;)

And if it doesn't it is because the driver is a prick.
    well at least i have one, or well i had five mins ago when i looked :D

• Advertisement

well said shltter. jasus christ i've rather have someone that just had a snooze drive or fly me for that matter anywhere quicker than someone thats stressed up to the nineties

I know the reasons why your services get screwed around but like i keep saying its total BS that its always on HQ's direction. In my previous company we often had drivers to pull a sly one and not perform their last service and sometimes they may get away with it, if no one complains, i mean how else would we know. IMHO you guys are simply far too slow to recognise this obvious practice, it clearly takes place in DB.

Its worrying, and a bit of a stretch to try and argue that there is anyting positive about that attitude, and anyone running a company would be keen to rid employees with such an attitude, its clearly indicative of someone who doenst give a sh1t, you dont have to be stressed to the 90's in order to actually give a toss about the job your doing.

I think you should read your mates posts a little more carefully, and mine for that matter you seem to be missing key points quite a bit. Read sh1tters post again, it was nothing to do with sleep.

Iv not got a clue?! About what exactly? No i havent thank god, there on my list of companies that I will never work for including NTL, and recently added to that list AIB.;)

the disciplinary percedures, shltter is quite correct in that drivers are afraid to go sick or whatever in case they're sacked. i should know i lost alot of good friends over the last few years due to their attendance. thats what i mean by "you haven't got a clue". enough said i've given way to much info as it is. i've read it but as usal we go way off the topic.
    point is o.p. was annoyed becuase he saw a bus which he thought was his, but as far as i can see it was the one after his.
    and yet he hasn't shown up in a while, i know if i had a thread i'd be keeping an eye on it and posting
    hmmmmm this is strange alright. even more so considering he was on just yesterday at noon :rolleyes:

the disciplinary percedures, shltter is quite correct in that drivers are afraid to go sick or whatever in case they're sacked. i should know i lost alot of good friends over the last few years due to their attendance. thats what i mean by "you haven't got a clue". enough said i've given way to much info as it is.

So cos they are your good friends they shouldnt be sacked, im sorry but what kind of logic is that? Its perfectly reasonable for company to let staff go who consistently failing to show for work, obviously everyone gets sick but ya cant have jokers taking the mick with sick days all over the shop.

Again im speaking from first hand experience, its a nightmare to try and cover for drivers missing when often given short notice, and creates a logistical mightmare, not only that at times lost revenue and increased costs when paying o/t to cover missing driver. Bottom line, drivers with a good attendance, positive attitude etc,good at their job dont get let go. (aside from present prevailing economic conditions)

P.M.A. and rightly so, it's better to arrive safely than not at all. i'd gladly spend 2 hours in heavy traffic for a 6 or 8 mile run if i knew at end of it all i'd arrive safe and well with no casualties or incidents.

My position on DB is and always has been impartial, a shockingly poor service accross a number of different routes, my reasoning HERE is based on seemingly inability of DB drivers here to ever chastise another DB driver no matter whan the instance,
    these are not my words givy ,they're yours. your saying they dont have the ability to chastise and i just corrected you, oops i meant contradicted you.
    so now you have it from the horses mouth D/B/M do take severe disciplinary action against it's drivers, please no more of they dont, your killing me here. no wonder i'm here all the time, people come out with such bull then we come along and say it aint so.
    ahhhhh here i'm outta here.
    i'm going for a **** ;)

P.M.A. and rightly so, it's better to arrive safely than not at all. i'd gladly spend 2 hours in heavy traffic for a 6 or 8 mile run if i knew at end of it all i'd arrive safe and well with no casualties or incidents.

What?! Is driving a bus really that hazardous? How many accidents do you have?!:eek:

What?! Is driving a bus really that hazardous? How many accidents do you have?!:eek:
    none because the safety the of my passengers comes first

these are not my words givy ,they're yours. your saying they dont have the ability to chastise and i just corrected you, oops i meant contradicted you.
    so now you have it from the horses mouth D/B/M do take severe disciplinary action against it's drivers, please no more of they dont, your killing me here

Please read again... DB DRIVERS.....You and your co workers here are constantly defending the poor service outlined by the people on here 'bitching and moaning', and while its understandable to a point, its pretty nauseating after while when posed with many differing situations, it seems that there is always an excuse or a reason deflecting blame away from your fellow drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The subvention is for operating routes that are not commercially viable.

This is not true. The subsidy is not linked to operating any particular route or routes.

The subvention is no different from any company providing services to the state, they provide a service that the state thinks is necessary and the state pays them for that.

Exactly what service is Dublin Bus providing to the State?

There is no contract between the State and Dublin Bus to provide a service. This is a very unusual arrangement. No other company that I know of gets money from the State for services without having any contract of any kind in place.
    Are we subsiding the wages of people working for BT or UTV because the state pays them for providing a phone service to pensioners etc.

In those cases, the services which BT or UTV provide are specifically itemised and invoiced. As it happens, the pensioners also get a choice of operators.
    BTW Dublin Buses biggest source of income by far is what it takes in fares.

True. about 1/3 of the cash in 2007 came from state operating and capital subsidies, and about 2/3 came from cash fares. For 2008, it looks like the percentage of subsidy will be greater than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Post #44 . To answer Meanmachine3`s question.

Also,just to allay Givyjoe81`s fears of a Bus Atha Cliath Masonic pact.....

I`m one of some 2,800 Bus Atha Cliath drivers ....I am most happy to state a bald fact that I do NOT personally know every one of them.

I am equally happy to acknowledge Givyjoe81`s absolute certainty that amongst that number there are some very great 100% proof axeholes whose personalities and behaviour I find annoying and offensive....Equally I concede that a great number of those staff are free to think the exact same of Me.

I wont get too worked up about it,except perhaps to refrain from any throwaway remarks about traffic on Camden St,lest it be dissected and construed as evidence of a vast conspiracy to undermine the State or worse still end up on a Prime Time exposè !!! :eek:

Best to take the Company`s well founded advice.....Keep your Screen UP at all times and your thoughts to yourself !!!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement