Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleepy bus driver

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

none because the safety the of my passengers comes first

Dont you mean becuase "I" arrive alive? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Please read again... DB DRIVERS.....You and your co workers here are constantly defending the poor service outlined by the people on here 'bitching and moaning', and while its understandable to a point, its pretty nauseating after while when posed with many differing situations, it seems that there is always an excuse or a reason deflecting blame away from your fellow drivers.

So what you want is myself and mean and others to just jump on the bandwagon with you and say yes it was all that horrible mean drivers fault and there can be no other possible explanation.

The truth is that when you actually do the job you see what can happen and what does happen and how it happens and people outside don't see or get that that's all. So all we are doing is offering a little insight and saying hey this might explain what happened it might not be what you think it is.

Now you can just reject that if you want and think you know exactly whats happening and why that is your choice...........

Dont you mean becuase "I" arrive alive? ;)

Well if he arrives alive there is a good chance everyone else will as well

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Post #44 . To answer Meanmachine3`s question.

Also,just to allay Givyjoe81`s fears of a Bus Atha Cliath Masonic pact.....

I`m one of some 2,800 Bus Atha Cliath drivers ....I am most happy to state a bald fact that I do NOT personally know every one of them.

I am equally happy to acknowledge Givyjoe81`s absolute certainty that amongst that number there are some very great 100% proof axeholes whose personalities and behaviour I find annoying and offensive....Equally I concede that a great number of those staff are free to think the exact same of Me.

I wont get too worked up about it,except perhaps to refrain from any throwaway remarks about traffic on Camden St,lest it be dissected and construed as evidence of a vast conspiracy to undermine the State or worse still end up on a Prime Time exposè !!! :eek:

Best to take the Company`s well founded advice.....Keep your Screen UP at all times and your thoughts to yourself !!!!

Well im not omnipresent (or is it omnipotent) just yet, (getting there) so i can only offer my experience of what demonstrates the seeming lack of customer focused culture withing DB.. Shall i go on and address the hundreds of other instances blow by blow which reaffirm this conclusion..? No i think the above does it succinctly acutually.

You'll find me perfectly willing to accept they are of course great staff working for DB and wonderfull chaps, however there are simply an unfortunately large proportion of 'axholes' currently working in DB with far too much influence who are ruining it for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Shall i go on and address the hundreds of other instances blow by blow which reaffirm this conclusion..?

Welll.....given the extent of your penchant for sweeping generalizations I say go on give it a go joe....I`v little doubt but that the hundreds of instances will be each shining examples of cut & dried Bus Atha Cliath staff behaving badly.
    Perhaps you will have offered them some form of vehicle to explain or otherwise "Defend" what to you will be nefarious actions....or perhaps not....apologies for going on a bit.... :D
    You'll find me perfectly willing to accept they are of course great staff working for DB and wonderfull chaps,

That,funnily enough,is what I am having some difficulty in finding.....a sense of acceptance that things may not ALWAYS be as you would think they are...... :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

shltter wrote: »
    The subvention is for operating routes that are not commercially viable.

There is no subsidy of wages that is incorrect.

If the subvention is paying for for non commercial routes it is paying for the buses the diesel the wages and all other associated costs with operating those routes.

The subvention is no different from any company providing services to the state, they provide a service that the state thinks is necessary and the state pays them for that.

Surely without the government subsidy to purchase the buses, you wouldn't have a job as there would be no buses to drive. Dublin Bus could not afford to operate without the funding it receives. Perhaps on the accounts, wages are not directly funded by a subsidy, but it's that funding which provides the means for you operate.

I think it's great Dublin Bus receive such funding, and if I was a bus driver I'd have no problem with recognising that fact.

Welll.....given the extent of your penchant for sweeping generalizations I say go on give it a go joe....I`v little doubt but that the hundreds of instances will be each shining examples of cut & dried Bus Atha Cliath staff behaving badly.
    Perhaps you will have offered them some form of vehicle to explain or otherwise "Defend" what to you will be nefarious actions....or perhaps not....apologies for going on a bit.... :D

That,funnily enough,is what I am having some difficulty in finding.....a sense of acceptance that things may not ALWAYS be as you would think they are...... :)
    Ok dont take my word for it..How about you read some of the posts from an old thread on the opinions other DB users. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054873388&highlight=

No matter how much you guys prattle on about what a great job your doing, your opinions dont really hold much water, you're after all DB employees, i think DB CUSTOMERS are a better judge of the quality of your service, dont you?! Silly question, of course not.

MiniD wrote: »
    Surely without the government subsidy to purchase the buses, you wouldn't have a job as there would be no buses to drive. Dublin Bus could not afford to operate without the funding it receives. Perhaps on the accounts, wages are not directly funded by a subsidy, but it's that funding which provides the means for you operate.

I think it's great Dublin Bus receive such funding, and if I was a bus driver I'd have no problem with recognising that fact.

Of course there would be buses to drive( maybe less of them) they just would cost more and would not operate at times and in areas where it was not commercially viable. That said if the company was free to operate on a purely commercial basis and set its own fares etc there may well be more buses without the political interference that keeps buses running with no one using them like the thankfully now defunct 51A and the utterly ridiculous 31C.

Just as if the government scrapped the OAP line rental scheme tomorrow there would still be a telephone network just less pensioners would have a home phone.

Ok dont take my word for it..How about you read some of the posts from an old thread on the opinions other DB users. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054873388&highlight=

No matter how much you guys prattle on about what a great job your doing, your opinions dont really hold much water, you're after all DB employees, i think DB CUSTOMERS are a better judge of the quality of your service, dont you?! Silly question, of course not.

I suggest you read that thread yourself it is hardly a one sided condemnation of DB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

i work in bar,probably have as much a chance as anybody of getting assaulted in work,actually a very high chance of it, doesnt mean im let be rude to my customers,after all it is with the money these people spend that i get my wages from,same with passangers on dublin bus...bit of respect from both sides goes a long way...

• Advertisement

No matter how much you guys prattle on about what a great job your doing

Hmmm....I just do a days work for a days pay..Is that prattling ? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Hmmm....I just do a days work for a days pay..Is that prattling ? :)
    Thats why i gave up on boards young Alek.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Of course there would be buses to drive( maybe less of them) they just would cost more and would not operate at times and in areas where it was not commercially viable. That said if the company was free to operate on a purely commercial basis and set its own fares etc there may well be more buses without the political interference that keeps buses running with no one using them like the thankfully now defunct 51A and the utterly ridiculous 31C.

On the other hand, DB would probably face greater competition from other private bus companies then, maybe even broken up first.
    Just as if the government scrapped the OAP line rental scheme tomorrow there would still be a telephone network just less pensioners would have a home phone.

Interestingly an OAP can spend the line rental on a mobile phone now, rather then just an Eircom line, a good development, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Perfect example of DB culture, sitting on a bus on Camden street, stuck in traffic, two drivers stope opposite each other in traffic, one says "this traffic is a pain in the arse innit.. " other responds "yeah, but i dont care, we're getting paid to sit in it arent we.." i.e. who gives a fcuk.
    I don't understand the point you are trying to make here. I drive on a part-time basis for a private bus operator and I also get paid to sit in traffic. Do you think I should get out and try to resolve the cause of the congestion?

In relation to sleeping on the bus - I've done it loads of times and cannot understand the mentality of members of ther public who seem to think it's appropriate to bang on the window to awaken a driver when he's on a break. I used to operate a service where there was a break between 2am and 5am. It was standard practise to sleep in the back of the bus. The first few times I did it, I used to get bangs on the window from about 4am onwards. I'd explain to passengers that the next service operates from 5am. Very few would apologise for waking me. Later, experience would tell me to find a quieter spot to park and simply drive back at about 4.50am.

I don't understand the mentality that more Dublin Bus drivers are rude compared to private drivers. I've met some 100% morons driving for private operators. I've spent most of my life as a passenger with Dublin Bus and have rarely met any rudeness. You must also remember that Dublin Bus gets a much higher proportion of skangers than any private operator.

I always remain polite to passengers even when they are being rude to me. In reality most passengers are unwilling to listen to any logical explanation for any delay in the service. The vast majority of delays are beyond the control of the driver.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make here. I drive on a part-time basis for a private bus operator and I also get paid to sit in traffic. Do you think I should get out and try to resolve the cause of the congestion?

No apparently you should get yourself all worked up about something you have no control over get your stress levels up and your blood pressure. It will serve absolutely no purpose but may make givyjoe feel better:rolleyes::rolleyes:

In relation to sleeping on the bus - I've done it loads of times and cannot understand the mentality of members of ther public who seem to think it's appropriate to bang on the window to awaken a driver when he's on a break. I used to operate a service where there was a break between 2am and 5am. It was standard practise to sleep in the back of the bus. The first few times I did it, I used to get bangs on the window from about 4am onwards. I'd explain to passengers that the next service operates from 5am. Very few would apologise for waking me. Later, experience would tell me to find a quieter spot to park and simply drive back at about 4.50am.

Exactly if the driver had a spare 20 minutes he was absolutely correct to power nap and leave refreshed. People unfortunately see a bus and they want it to leave immediately and to hell with your schedule as a driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

If a scheduled bus doesn't run whilst another bus (or two) is idle at the terminus, I'd never take it out on the driver, I don't see what it would achieve. However, surely drivers can appreciate a customer's frustration if a scheduled bus doesn't run and there is another one sitting idle for a while? We just want to know when we can expect to arrive at our detination. I've got a timetable to follow too you know, and I rely on DB not to make me late.

Also, on the point of driver rest periods, what is DB's policy to ensure drivers are well rested while on duty? I assumer this falls under tachograph regulations. Do DB drivers require rest periods during the day? Is there enough time between shifts for drivers to get the required rest?

LiamD wrote: »
    If a scheduled bus doesn't run whilst another bus (or two) is idle at the terminus, I'd never take it out on the driver, I don't see what it would achieve. However, surely drivers can appreciate a customer's frustration if a scheduled bus doesn't run and there is another one sitting idle for a while? We just want to know when we can expect to arrive at our detination. I've got a timetable to follow too you know, and I rely on DB not to make me late.

Of course we can appreciate that people get frustrated but the driver can not choose when to leave, it is up to the controller to alter departure times.

LiamD wrote: »
    Also, on the point of driver rest periods, what is DB's policy to ensure drivers are well rested while on duty? I assumer this falls under tachograph regulations. Do DB drivers require rest periods during the day? Is there enough time between shifts for drivers to get the required rest?

No tachographs in Dublin Bus.

Starting yesterday all drivers have to have a minimum 10 hours rest between the end of one days work and the start of another.
    It has been the law for years but was completely ignored in order to provide a service as part of the introduction of the 48 hour week this is to be strictly enforced. It will have implications on service provision especially during the summer months and in the run up to Christmas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

As already pointed out you are presuming this bus was the 10:30 it may well have been the 10:45.

If the driver was tired he did exactly what the safety advice is to do take a nap and refresh yourself

I hardly think the safety advice is to have a snooze in the driver's seat with the engine running

I don't understand the mentality that more Dublin Bus drivers are rude compared to private drivers. I've met some 100% morons driving for private operators. I've spent most of my life as a passenger with Dublin Bus and have rarely met any rudeness. You must also remember that Dublin Bus gets a much higher proportion of skangers than any private operator.

I always remain polite to passengers even when they are being rude to me. In reality most passengers are unwilling to listen to any logical explanation for any delay in the service. The vast majority of delays are beyond the control of the driver.

The point i was making is that DB drivers, or at least too many of them dont give a flying fook about their customers, you know, the ones who are responsible for them having a job?! Do you think its appropriate for a DB driver to say at the top of his voice out the window, on a packed bus in rush hour.. "i dont care, at least im getting paid to sit in it.." Yes what a fantastic image of DB and their drivers that portrays. Never once said private operators bus drivers are any better, after all many of them used to work for DB also;)

While you may remain polite when others are being rude, many drivers would not, sure mean machine wouldnt even tell ya why the bus is late if you asked, politely or not! (stated in a different thread), the point is it is your job to help customers whether you like their tone or not (aside from abuse of course), simple as, but it seems many drivers are not aware of this simple fact.

Do you think its appropriate for a DB driver to say at the top of his voice out the window, on a packed bus in rush hour.. "i dont care, at least im getting paid to sit in it.."

Well that at least clarifies the original complaint......
    Perfect example of DB culture, sitting on a bus on Camden street, stuck in traffic, two drivers stope opposite each other in traffic, one says "this traffic is a pain in the arse innit.. " other responds "yeah, but i dont care, we're getting paid to sit in it arent we.." i.e. who gives a fcuk.

We now at least know the driver concerned was using a voice projection technique to ensure a round of applause or should we assume that both drivers were liable to summary discipline a là Givyjoe for venturing a truthful opinion ?

Oddly enough on some recent Xpresso journeys I have drawn some of my customers attention via the PA system to the fact that by clinging resolutely to payment by cash they are paying between 70c and €1.90 PER JOURNEY more than they need to.

I continue to advise these people that buying and using a Travel90 will save them MONEY and everybody else TIME as I (Your Driver) am the only one being paid to sit immobile whilst change is fumbled for at EACH stop.

Like life itself,there`s nowt as queer as folk as was demonstrated to me last week by two diametrically opposed reactions to my announcement.

One lady passenger approached me and thanked me for drawing her attention to the Travel 90 as it would save her €3.40 PER DAY on her commute.....she was curious as to what the ticket wavers were using but never asked about it.

The following stop saw me approached by a gent who said there was no need for smart comments about what method people used to pay their fare and that he would continue to use cash come what may.

I responded that the only smartness I referred to involved passengers saving considerable amount of money themselves and allowing everybody else to benefit by a faster journeys.

His departing advice was that my attitude was "wrong" and that a complaint would ensue. (It was`nt you Givyjoe by any chance ?)

Whenever possible,especially when operating Expresso services I will endeavour to draw passengers attention to any and all means of expediting THEIR (and my) journey.

As most folks involved in Public Facing roles may agree with,there is no substitute for clear and direct lines of communication.....whispering,mumbling and hushed tones only serve to confuse people...unless of course it`s done to avoid the thought-policeman sitting staring at you in the interior mirror.... :D

Elsewhere Givyjoe81 raises an equally interesting point.......
    My position on DB is and always has been impartial, a shockingly poor service accross a number of different routes, my reasoning HERE is based on seemingly inability of DB drivers here to ever chastise another DB driver no matter whan the instance,

I can only answer the above by reverting to another "Incident" which Givyjoe suffered at the hands of a BAC driver,although even it benefits from the trademark GJ innuendo....
    Just out of curiosity, one of the single worst experiences i can remember on DB was on a short journey on the 77 a few years back, getting off at the 'dip' on greenhills road the driver kindly let me jump from the moving vehicle as he had deemed it unncessary to stop the bus for me to disembark, not at full speed obviously but somewhere between 5-10 mph at a guess, fast enough that i nearly broke my neck when landing. Just curious as to your thoughts on the matter.

A definite audience with the Depot Admin Manager,and a period of retraining for sure.....although if twere me I`d give him a few free days off to assist with work-life balance.

That clear enuf Givvy ? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

givy lets cut the crap and the cheap snide remarks out, either stick to the topic of the thread or make new one where we can go through the same old ****e again.
    the reason i dont tell is because (A) we're rarely told that the bus ahead of us is off. (B) i'm there to drive to my schedule not anyone elses , so the bus driver ahead of me can go snoozies for all i care. once i'm on time thats all i care about.(C)the only commmunication we're meant to have with passengers is at bus stops , i am in my arse going to tell everyone that gets on my bus why the one ahead is missing. minutes in our game are precious and valuable.
    you said the maigc word "tone". your very quick to pick and choose what i say. now heres one you never mention and it's one of the things i say all the time.
    if someones nice i'll go out of my way to help them out even if means getting my ass kicked.
    can anyone tell me how to put that on my profile, i'm sick to death of saying it.
    i'm done with this thread until something meaningful and related to the topic is said.

givy lets cut the crap and the cheap snide remarks out, either stick to the topic of the thread or make new one where we can go through the same old ****e again.
    the reason i dont tell is because (A) we're rarely told that the bus ahead of us is off. (B) i'm there to drive to my schedule not anyone elses , so the bus driver ahead of me can go snoozies for all i care. once i'm on time thats all i care about.(C)the only commmunication we're meant to have with passengers is at bus stops , i am in my arse going to tell everyone that gets on my bus why the one ahead is missing. minutes in our game are precious and valuable.
    you said the maigc word "tone". your very quick to pick and choose what i say. now heres one you never mention and it's one of the things i say all the time.
    if someones nice i'll go out of my way to help them out even if means getting my ass kicked.
    can anyone tell me how to put that on my profile, i'm sick to death of saying it.
    i'm done with this thread until something meaningful and related to the topic is said.

Indeed lets cut out the snide remarks... how about an apology for being labelled a toe rag for daring to question you? You also acknowledged on the same thread how poorly you came accross owing to that partic post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

Indeed lets cut out the snide remarks... how about an apology for being labelled a toe rag for daring to question you? You also acknowledged on the same thread how poorly you came accross owing to that partic post.
    i'd like to tell you where to stick your apology but i'm sure i'm threading on thin ice in here ,as for my excellcent customer service, heres an example of how i treat passengers who treat me with respect.
    within the last couple of days i had a passenger with very poor english who came up to me with his mobile and asked me to speak to the person on the other end.i took the call , the person asked me to let this particular gentleman off at a certain area. i dropped this person of at their destination. i would've most likely have been suspended if i had been caught by any supervisor for using a mobile. they dont care what it was about. the point to them is the fact that i used a mobile.
    thats the way i treat someone who treats me with respect.

MOH wrote: »
    I hardly think the safety advice is to have a snooze in the driver's seat with the engine running

I find it extremely hard to believe that the driver managed to go asleep in the drivers seat, It is hard enough to sit in it while awake.
    The original complaint was that the driver was asleep on the passenger seats at the back I see nothing wrong with that in fact it is a sensible thing for a fatigued driver of any kind of vehicle to do.
    As for the time he was sitting in the drivers cab if he sat there with his eyes open or his eyes closed is his own business but take my word i doubt he was a sleep.
    IF he was asleep with the engine running that would be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The point i was making is that DB drivers, or at least too many of them dont give a flying fook about their customers, you know, the ones who are responsible for them having a job?! Do you think its appropriate for a DB driver to say at the top of his voice out the window, on a packed bus in rush hour.. "i dont care, at least im getting paid to sit in it.."
    I think you're reading too much into it. You'll hear similar comments in any occupation.

Recently, my employer sent me by train to Cork to pick up a bus. When I got there, the bus wasn't ready and I had to get the train back again. Quite a boring day, but my thoughts were that at least I was getting paid to sit in the train and read for most of the day. Is there anything wrong with that?
    givjoe81 wrote:
    it is your job to help customers whether you like their tone or not
    I'm helpful by nature and have been reprimanded for assisting customers with their luggage, buggies etc. I've been told that my job is to drive the bus, not offer assistance. (I still do though).

I think you're reading too much into it. You'll hear similar comments in any occupation.

Recently, my employer sent me by train to Cork to pick up a bus. When I got there, the bus wasn't ready and I had to get the train back again. Quite a boring day, but my thoughts were that at least I was getting paid to sit in the train and read for most of the day. Is there anything wrong with that?

Indeed as I have said already it is a far healthier for the driver and for his passengers attitude to accept what you have no control over and look on the bright side.
    So rather than look at the traffic and stress and worry about times and getting to termini etc just say end of the day I'm getting paid to be here if it takes another 45 minutes to get to Dame St I am already in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The reality is that most drivers have very little power to help customers when there is a screw up. They are part of a bigger 'machine' - the company they work for, and that company in turn is part of the transport system generally. When there is a genuine screw-up, there is clearly very little the lone driver can do to resolve the problem.

However, there is another issue. The problem is that whether he or she likes it or not, for the ordinary customer, the driver represents the company and the public transport system generally. For most customers, the driver is the only person from the bus company that the customer will ever meet or talk to.

So there is a heavy burden on the driver's shoulders. The driver, whether he or she likes it or not is being 'examined' on such things as 'attitude' and 'tone' as well as on whether he or she can actually drive the bus safely and keep to schedule (which is after all the main thing).

It is very hard to figure out what customers mean by attitude and tone. Quite often, they mean very small, seemingly minor things. But they are the customers, and the transport system has to pay attention to what they want in order to get people to use it.

As with any job where you wear a uniform and have a responsible and public job to do, there is an element of public performance to it. This is not necessarily fair, but this is the way it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I find it extremely hard to believe that the driver managed to go asleep in the drivers seat, It is hard enough to sit in it while awake.
    The original complaint was that the driver was asleep on the passenger seats at the back I see nothing wrong with that in fact it is a sensible thing for a fatigued driver of any kind of vehicle to do.
    As for the time he was sitting in the drivers cab if he sat there with his eyes open or his eyes closed is his own business but take my word i doubt he was a sleep.
    IF he was asleep with the engine running that would be wrong.

As usual, you cherry pick the bits of posts that you decide to agree with, and dismiss the rest. The original post included:
    anyway while he was sitting there with the engine running and getting the bus ready he dozed off for a further 5 - 10 minutes.

I've no reason not to believe the OP, and I've certainly no reason to take your word for anything.

i'd like to tell you where to stick your apology but i'm sure i'm threading on thin ice in here ,as for my excellcent customer service, heres an example of how i treat passengers who treat me with respect.
    within the last couple of days i had a passenger with very poor english who came up to me with his mobile and asked me to speak to the person on the other end.i took the call , the person asked me to let this particular gentleman off at a certain area. i dropped this person of at their destination. i would've most likely have been suspended if i had been caught by any supervisor for using a mobile. they dont care what it was about. the point to them is the fact that i used a mobile.
    thats the way i treat someone who treats me with respect.

You seem to be implying that i somehow have failed to treat you with respect? I think thats far from the case, particularly considering i declined to respond to childish name calling.

Also im curious to your definition of respect? Is someone asking you why the service late, somehow showing you a lack of respect? You mentioned the word a number of times and im not sure why.

While this example is obviously above and beyond what is required, fair play, but at the same time you say you wont bother to answer people who understandably are peeed of waiting on a bus that doesnt show, im more than a little confused by that logic.

• Advertisement

The reality is that most drivers have very little power to help customers when there is a screw up. They are part of a bigger 'machine' - the company they work for, and that company in turn is part of the transport system generally. When there is a genuine screw-up, there is clearly very little the lone driver can do to resolve the problem.

However, there is another issue. The problem is that whether he or she likes it or not, for the ordinary customer, the driver represents the company and the public transport system generally. For most customers, the driver is the only person from the bus company that the customer will ever meet or talk to.

So there is a heavy burden on the driver's shoulders. The driver, whether he or she likes it or not is being 'examined' on such things as 'attitude' and 'tone' as well as on whether he or she can actually drive the bus safely (which is after all the main thing).

It is very hard to figure out what customers mean by attitude and tone. Quite often, they mean very small, seemingly minor things. But they are the customers, and the transport system has to pay attention to what they want in order to get people to use it.

As with any job where you wear a uniform and have a responsible and public job to do, there is an element of public performance to it. This is not necessarily fair, but this is the way it works.

Apologies again for double posting, iv no idea how to multiple quote. What I mean by attitude and tone, is things like a driver saying, "so what do you want me to do about it.." when asked questions as to why a service is late, or when notified of trouble on board a bus, this point taken from examples given in other threads.

I think we can all easily recall understand whats an appropriate tone or attitude when its clearly out of order, but in this case of the partic driver it was more actions than either of the above that were out of place.

Advertisement