Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

file sync between two folders

• 14-05-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi folks.

Please excuse me if this is in the wrong forum.

I would appreciate any help with the following matter.

I'm running Windows Vista Business.

I have a large folder containing approx 1500 files. All these data files are names as Month Day hour minute, e.g. 11021530 (November 2nd, 15:30). the address would be something like \docs\backup\11021530

I have created a copy of this folder (we'll call it "organised data") where I have tried to place the files in appropriate subfolders, so the file above would be in \docs\organised data\Nov 02 2006\11021530

I need to find a way to confirm that all the files from "backup" are also in "organised data"

I have tried using filesync and AllwaySYNC to compare "\backup" and "\organised data" but these tell me that the files are missing in each directory, i.e. \docs\backup\11021530 does not equal \docs\organised data\Nov 02 2006\11021530
    In other words filesync and AllwaySYNC take into account the subfolders, not whether or not 11021530 exists somewhere in both "backup" and "organised data"

to complicate matters "backup" contains multiple copies of some files whereas with "organised data" I have deleted copies of a file if and when I find them. Therefore I cannot simply look at the folder properties and compare the overall number of files in each folder.

Can anyone suggest a way of checking that all the files in "backup" exist somewhere in "organised data" ?

I realise this may seem stupid and, yes, had I been a little more diligent with my data in the first place I would not be in this mess now.

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Test this , should list the file names

for /R %a in (*.*) do @echo %~nxa

for /R %a in (*.*) do @echo %~nxa >>list.txt
    sort list.txt > sorted.txt

then do a file compare between the files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

Hi

thanks a million, i now have two .txt files listing the contents of the sorted and unsorted files.

What is the best way of comparing them? I need to be able to see what is missing from each list. File sync and allwaySync will only let me compare folders.

Cheers
    Test this , should list the file names

for /R %a in (*.*) do @echo %~nxa

for /R %a in (*.*) do @echo %~nxa >>list.txt
    sort list.txt > sorted.txt

then do a file compare between the files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Have you tried Microsoft SyncToy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

Thanks again capt midnight, you have taken me out of a major hole. Gentleman,scholar,fine judge of whisky.

Have not tried synctoy, will give it a lash. What i have done for the moment is to paste both lists side by side into excel and put them in ascending order. Then just scan through both by eye and look for discrepancies. Not ideal for 1500 odd files but its not too bad.

Advertisement