Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowen and Kenny challenged to TV debate

Options
  • 14-05-2009 2:35pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Taoiseach Brian Cowen and Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny were today challenged to a televised public debate along with Labour leader Eamon Gilmore ahead of next month’s elections.

The Labour leader insisted unprecedented voter interest in the European, by-election and local polls because of the economic crisis demanded a face-to-face showdown on the issues.

“There is a level of public interest in these elections that I have never seen outside of a general election,” he said.

“Indeed there have been some (general) elections where there has been less public interest in the outcome than I have encountered throughout the country over the past few weeks.”

Mr Cowen, speaking at the launch of Fianna Fáil’s European election campaign, would not expressly rule in or rule out a television confrontation with the Opposition leaders.

But Mr Gilmore insisted a debate should take place on RTÉ or another broadcaster or, alternatively, before a public audience.

Throwing down the gauntlet at the launch of Labour candidate Ivana Bacik’s Dublin Central by-election campaign, the party leader said the outcome of the June 5 polls will have a huge influence over the country’s future.

“I will debate the issues with Brian and Enda anywhere, any place any time,” he said.

“One debate or several. Ideally such a debate or debates should be facilitated by RTE or another broadcaster, but alternatively it could be conducted before a public audience with an agreed moderator.

“I believe that the electorate is entitled to hear the three party leaders, listen to the analysis they have of the current situation and consider what proposals they have to deal with our problems.”

Pressed on the challenge, Mr Cowen was unclear about his stance, saying only that he debates issues inside and outside the Dáil with Mr Gilmore and other Opposition leaders on an ongoing basis.

“From my point of view it’s a question for parties to decide on debates,” he said.

“But as Taoiseach and leader of the Government, we are out pushing forward our policies and debating issues on an ongoing basis and we will continue to do so at every opportunity we get.”

Source: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/cowen-and-kenny-challenged-to-tv-debate-410751.html

Why do we need a leaders debate for local & european elections? It seems, to me, to be going off the track with the whole concept of these elections.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

The way we have done the main political debates so far on TV has been the American style, i.e FG/FF one on one

The best idea I saw was in the Netherlands, and it is more reflective of our multiparty system.

They had the leaders of the six main partys in a studio, questions were put to them, and they debated the issues.

If we get a debate, I think it should be in that format as opposed to the one v one - gives a broader range of opinions.

They can at least try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Eamon Gilmore would win that debate and he probably knows so. Brian Cowen would not subject himself to being 'ganged up on' by the two opposition leaders on live TV and it would be better for Fine Gael if Enda Kenny didn't engage in this alongside Gilmore, who makes him look stifled and tense.

Do we really need to see the political parties fighting with each other in front of the country and foreign onlookers? Is that the image we want to present? I am a Fine Gael voter but as an Irish citizen, this would not interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Is Gilmore doing this because he is afraid FG will be the main party of the next coalition government? Gilmore needs to be concentrating on Labour policies and formulate more credible solutions, solutions that might make people vote for them. He obviously isnt doing that at the moment as his party stands at 20% in the polls. And why do we need Cowen blabbing on in front of the telly about the economy when its unfixable with him in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Eamon Gilmore dusts down the "let's have a general election because the Govt has no mandate" speech regularly, almost as much as Kenny. It certainly gets him air time but the debate is an absurd notion. If leaders are worth their salt they can get their message out and as posted earlier without the need for a digging match on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I'd be very much in favour of this.

I would actually like to see Enda prove me wrong and come across as a capable leader of the country in such a debate. Won't hold my breath though...:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Souljacker

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    The way we have done the main political debates so far on TV has been the American style, i.e FG/FF one on one

The best idea I saw was in the Netherlands, and it is more reflective of our multiparty system.

They had the leaders of the six main partys in a studio, questions were put to them, and they debated the issues.

If we get a debate, I think it should be in that format as opposed to the one v one - gives a broader range of opinions.

They can at least try.

I like this idea. I think we could all glean more from an extended questions and answers type format. It would also be more inclusive of the smaller parties.

Also it would be a brilliant way for John Bowman to end his programme with a bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Gilmore grandstanding as usual. It's actually questionable whether Labour are entitled to a place in such a debate. FG is by far the largest Opposition party etc.

Advertisement