Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap eateries

Options
  • 14-05-2009 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

For the lower end of the market, students and the like.

Where are the cheaper places that do food in the city that is still palatable.

Stuff like
    Tue Hillbillys with their snackbox special
    Wednesday abracadabra with the €495 meal deal

Where else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

maglite wrote: »
    For the lower end of the market, students and the like.

Where are the cheaper places that do food in the city that is still palatable.

Stuff like
    Tue Hillbillys with their snackbox special
    Wednesday abracadabra with the €495 meal deal

Where else?

Wow that's expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Wagamama are doing a lunch promotion until 5pm Monday-Friday.

€ 9.95 for lunch with a juice or Tiger beer thrown in. Pretty decent selection to choose from on that special lunch menu too.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Eddie Rockets do a good deal too during the week, think it's called 'the hunger buster deal', any burger, chips, and a soft drink or milkshake for €9.95

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

i have to say i kinda like the speedy gonzalez place? it used to be Falafals though its same menu (ish) and staff, i never quite forgave them for getting rid of feta cheese from their salad bar thingy...
    its healthier than hillbillies (drool).
    U could always cook at home?
    Lennox's on bandon road are fairly daecent as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

cod burger at super macs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Léan wrote: »
    Eddie Rockets do a good deal too during the week, think it's called 'the hunger buster deal', any burger, chips, and a soft drink or milkshake for €9.95

9.95 for burgers , chips and a coke , WTF and it's a deal . What a rip .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

Jebezus! Just go to KCs in Douglas for cheap food and a variety too! But I'll warn you, your heart will clog and your pants will break.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Burger king do some recession buster deals too
    Cant remember exactley what it is but it's cheap

Have you ever had en eddie rockets burger? They're huge :| and tasty out.

But anywho, pretty good deal considering if you go to a chipper you're average burger is going to cost at least a fiver, chips another 2-3 euro, and about €1.50 for a can of coke. So that's roughly €9.50 lets say. Think the deal is pretty good value tbh.

Where is Eddie Rockets located??

• Advertisement

There's one in blackpool, mahon point and I think somewhere around Paul street (not sure abt the last one )

mik_da_man wrote: »
    There's one in blackpool, mahon point and I think somewhere around Paul street (not sure abt the last one )

Mahon Point? In the shopping centre? Really... I must be blind or never been hungry while shopping. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

There's one off the Kinsale Road roundabout aswell where the little chef used to be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Jhazon wrote: »
    Mahon Point? In the shopping centre? Really... I must be blind or never been hungry while shopping. :)

Upstairs .... next to the bagel bar i think, down by Mcd's and all them

The Eddie Rockets in Mahon Point isn't that nice at all at all, not the proper one. The one in town is across from The Classic/Wagamamas (sp? :|)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ever hear it being referred to as 'Empty Pockets'? They are very expensive for what they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

eddie rockets is a rip off.

what i like and its pretty filling is speedy Gonzales on castle street. about a fiver for a kebab/wrap/gyros. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wandrlustjunkie

Has anyone tried Speedy Gonzolez on North Main? It used to be called FalfAl's but they do awesome wraps of all kinds: burritos, kebaps, gyros, and falafel. Everything is about a fiver and if you have a student card they throw in a mineral for free. Anyway, its cheaper and healthier for you than Hillbilly's..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Léan wrote: »
    Have you ever had en eddie rockets burger? They're huge :| and tasty out.

But anywho, pretty good deal considering if you go to a chipper you're average burger is going to cost at least a fiver, chips another 2-3 euro, and about €1.50 for a can of coke. So that's roughly €9.50 lets say. Think the deal is pretty good value tbh.

Unless your getting some sort of quad stacked super burger i cant think of any chipper that charges "at least" €5 for a burger. Eddie Rockets is just a fancy Mcdonalds/burger king. €10 would get you a burger and chips in most pubs, although you would probably have to buy your own drink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I was thinking around the €5 mark. €10 will buy food in most semi decent pubs and such, its not what i woudl call cheap, well cheap in the meaning of this thread.

Another one i thought of, john graces? on one of the streets between Patricks street and oliver plunket, after 5 you get BOGOF for a breast in a bun and snack box.

And then there is 7's which i've been meaning to get to 7ounce steak nad chips €7, its between Oliver pluntet and south mall

• Advertisement

Ah that 7 place is clancys, great steaks and burgers.
    Never got the 7ounce steak deal though...

Lunchtime special in 4star or The Shelbourne on McCurtain st have a great lunchtime menu, Its cheap too and the food is amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

EDDIE ROCKETS:

Blackpool Retail Park [Near Argos,The Cinema,Maplin]

South Main Street, Cork City [Opposite Wagamamas/The Classic]

Kinsale Road Roundabout/Ballycurreen Road [Old Little Chef, part of Travelodge]

and theres only a DINE-O-MAT in Mahon Point SC, its ****, so dont expect a proper sit down, themed restaurant. And the menu is crap too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

O'Briens sandwich bars and Insomnia coffee are both doing coffee and sandwich offers for €5 at the moment.

sunnyside wrote: »
    O'Briens sandwich bars and Insomnia coffee are both doing coffee and sandwich offers for €5 at the moment.

I would not call that a bargain, a fiver for a sandwich and coffee is a rip off. And o briens is nothing special either, have had MUCH nicer sandwiches from super valu for half the price!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Hogzy wrote: »
    I would not call that a bargain, a fiver for a sandwich and coffee is a rip off. And o briens is nothing special either, have had MUCH nicer sandwiches from super valu for half the price!!!

Well the coffee on it's own would be around €3,the sandwiches are nice,the OP wanted a €5 meal and you can't sit and read the paper in SuperValu.

How much is coffee and sandwich is SuperValu? I'm thinking €2.50 for the coffee and €2.50 forthe sandwich which adds up to the same thing. I do like SuperValu, food in general is expensive.

Cheapest meal I've ever had was a pile of dirt... paid about €2.00 and included rain water.... nice little place just off Turners Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Jhazon wrote: »
    Cheapest meal I've ever had was a pile of dirt... paid about Š2.00 and included rain water.... nice little place just off Turners Cross.
    Im afraid you get what you pay for.

Advertisement