Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gig venues in Ballina

Options
  • 14-05-2009 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey folks, are there many gig venues for a touring band in around Ballina? Looking at bringing two bands that direction in the summer. I keep passing by the Quattro but haven't gone in or been around there at night to catch a gig (the family are based out at Lough Talt). Are there many other venues (or any) outside of the Quattro that would take original rock music, stuff that runs along a Pearl Jam / Soundgarden / Alice in Chains style?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

You should try Bar Ritz in Castlebar (Mulroys). Thats a good spot for the music you'd play and you'd be sure to get a crowd if ya advertised it properly!

Hogan's used to have a number of bands play upstairs.

There's a new bar called Emmett's which is supposed to be aimed at fans of good music. I know the old version of it was a great spot for some fantastic rock music. I ahve'nt been in Ballina in some time but I'm moving him this weekend so any chance at some good music would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Quattro is probably your best bet. You could also check out the Ramada Hotel on the Foxford Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I know Emmetts is specifically promoting itself as a live music venue so they'd be a good shout too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Another shout for Emmetts.

Mr. Maloney likes his music, along with his punters! Give him a shout, very friendly man to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kenmcguire

Emmets you say? Where abouts in the town is it? Haven't been there in a while but likely drop up that way in June to do some scouting. I've seen a good few bands and posters for Quattro alright though Emmet's, if pushing itself as a live music venue, sounds interesting.

Anyone any idea what it would hold or how music runs there - separate room or in the bar?

Ken / (kilkenny music)

Cheers for the help lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It's near the bottom of Ardnaree hill - if you're driving past Quattro's (towards the post office), keep going until you get to the traffic lights at supermacs. Then turn left and keep going until you go over the bridge. Emmetts is on the right before the next right turn.

Quattro's is miles bigger but it's still a pretty big place, although I couldn't put a number on how many it will hold. If you check on facebook, you should find a link (search for "Emmett Moloney - Live Music Venue")

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭blarney_army

Recomend Emmetts as well Great pub

Stay away from Quattro, every band sounds exactly the same and you'd be forgiven for thinking that someone taped a setlist to the stage in 2004 and noone bothered changing it. Week in, week out it's the same songs from the same old tired bands, none of whom have an original bone in their body.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jamierooney

definitely get the bands to emmetts - he re-opened after a 3 or 4 year gap in town. If you want good fans to appreciate GOOD music, then Emmetts and NOT Quattro.
    Quattro is for all these modern 'pop' rock bands with the same setlists and all use a massive bug rig that you can barely, if ever, enjoy.
    All quattro are interested in is cramming ppl into a spot that is not fit to enjoy live music. ****e acoustics, and an even worse layout!

Gimme a shout if you want a contact number for Emmett himself.

Here's the Facebook group page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=70380121034&ref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jamierooney

Hey folks, are there many gig venues for a touring band in around Ballina? Looking at bringing two bands that direction in the summer. I keep passing by the Quattro but haven't gone in or been around there at night to catch a gig (the family are based out at Lough Talt). Are there many other venues (or any) outside of the Quattro that would take original rock music, stuff that runs along a Pearl Jam / Soundgarden / Alice in Chains style?:confused:

Dude - this is definitely an Emmett's-sounding setlist, and NOT Quattro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kilkennymusic

Thanks for the replies on this lads. The two bands in question are heading out again later in the year so I'm gonna stick the head into Emmet's to check it out.

Advertisement